Audio Design 5 - Voice List

Have I understood it right that in a24, most civilisations speak the words with the same language? At least it appears to me like this, as we have played at home with almost all of them meanwhile, but the words we hear are just a handful, if I recollect correctly.

How where the spoken words be created so far?

Again, thanks for your kind help.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Moved from an internal WFG forum because I thought it was time to open it to the community, and it didn't seem like there were anybody's secrets in the thread. Just today and yesterday, we have had of

Hey, guys. I contributed to the audio voice list for Ancient Greek a while back (not sure how long ago exactly), but never finished the job. You can tell where I left off; that's where the list revert

I forgot, Hebrew too. We do not have any Phoenician language, we are going to use Hebrew. We are going to use Basque for the Iberians.  

4 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Have I understood it right that in a24, most civilisations speak the words with the same language?

Greek.

5 minutes ago, Ceres said:

How where the spoken words be created so far?

What you mean? Specifically.

• Thanks 1

Did some developer record the words with a microphone, was it created via text-to-speech (maybe with some additional tweaking), or even copied from some free work?

PS:

I stumbled over this post (see below) which I find quite funny, as the kids (and me) tend to 'shout' at each other "post polomon" (as we understand it) to draw reach other's attention - not only when playing 0 A.D. :bye:

https://lwn.net/Articles/601628/

Edited by Ceres
40 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Did some developer record the words with a microphone, was it created via text-to-speech (maybe with some additional tweaking), or even copied from some free work?

The persian and Kushite voices were recorded on a Phone, while the latin and greek recorded in a studio.

There is no text to speech nor free work although those voices are CC BY SA.

• Thanks 1

Yes, it's a pity. I searched for a while but only found some ancient Greek for the free eSpeak NG (have not looked further about how it works and sounds - and cannot say whether it is correct).

https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/blob/master/docs/languages.md

I had Latin for 9 years at school but that seems to me ages ago. ;)

PS:

So a24 only uses Ancient Greek, Persian, and Kushite voices? And all other civilisations use the Ancient Greek, too?

PPS also a a note for myself:

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/εἰσβάλλω

Edited by Ceres
16 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Yes, it's a pity.

What is ?

17 minutes ago, Ceres said:

So a24 only uses Ancient Greek, Persian, and Kushite voices? And all other civilisations use the Ancient Greek, too?

And latin

• Thanks 1

Yes, classic Latin. "Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres" among the famous texts (in higher classes - after starting with declinations, gerundium, gerundivum, a.c.i., etc.

BTW, I found it good to see the notes that "c" was in fact spelled "k", because many people (at least in Germany) say "Cäsar" instead of "Käsar" (maybe because "Käse" is cheese and thus it would sound ridiculous? ;))

Forgive my question, but is there another Latin besides classic?

I even had a few weeks of Ancient Greek ("Altgriechisch", as we say in German; I assume that's translated as "Classic Greek" but am no expert) during Latin hours, but I forgot everything about that.

Edited by Ceres
1 minute ago, Ceres said:

Forgive my question, but is there another Latin besides classic?

Vulgar (Like Vulgata latina)

I think. From there the other one is medieval, it does not go for the main game, only mods.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Stan` said:

What is ?

I meant that it's a pity that there are so few/no Ancient Greek TTS.

And thanks for reminding me that Latin is also included.

@Lion.Kanzen

And Hebrew, too.

Edited by Ceres
1 minute ago, Ceres said:

I meant that it's a pity that there are so few/no Ancient Greek TTS.

And thanks for reminding me that Latin is also included.

BTW, are allses of Ancient Greek

I forgot, Hebrew too. We do not have any Phoenician language, we are going to use Hebrew.

We are going to use Basque for the Iberians.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Vulgar (Like Vulgata latina)

I think. From there the other one is medieval, it does not go for the main game, only mods.

Ah, I understand. It was classic Latin at school.

2 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Do you use TTS or will somebody record her/his voice?

In Latin some of the phrases were performed by me.

TTS It could be useful if we narrated the campaigns.

• Like 1

Let me know when I can do something for you in this regard. Thanks.

PS:

I have searched a bit further, tried out some engines, and from my humble point of view, there is currently nothing available that sounds remotely decently - all very robotic.

Edited by Ceres