[request] sacrificial knife

Nescio

The prop used by infantry and female citizens to slaughter domestic animals looks like this:

Spoiler

dagger.png.cbb32b8628e74c279d436b114a93942a.png

As you can see it's a dagger designed for stabbing people. Cavalry is even worse: they use full-size swords.

This is how a sacrificial knife (μάχαιρα) looked like in reality, at least in the Greek world:

Spoiler

sacrificial_knife_left.thumb.png.5821626230831aebdda48ac624aad4d2.pngsacrificial_knife_right.thumb.png.3720057d4a71cb5df604ee26e446c622.png

It would be great if someone could model them to replace the currently used prop.

25 minutes ago, Stan` said:

All animal killing was sacrificial ?

“All” is too strong a word. However, domestic mammals were generally killed in much the same way as is still done under Jewish and Islamic law today: say a few words, slit the throat in a single move, and let the animal bleed to death.

Regardless, daggers are weapons for stabbing people, not tools for killing animals.

• Like 1

Variants as in slighly different shapes (meshes) for the same weapon (prop). For instance, xiphos.xml has five variants, kush_nubian_mace.xml 5×3=15. It doesn't have to be that many; one is enough, three would be nice, five is great. It's a minor detail, meant to avoid repetitiveness in game. Besides, mass production did not really exist in antiquity, every knife would be slightly different. The knives in the stelae of the opening post and the pottery @Genava55 posted all follow the same design, but are not exactly identical. You don't have to do research or reproduce them exactly, some artistic licence is fine. Basically a few variants of the one you made would be nice. It's up to you.

Chop chop !

Knifes done. Variants and texture and actor.

Dae and actor: knife_tool.rar

blend: knife_tool_blend.rar

Atlas screenshot of a collection of the knifes, cause I don't know how to instantiate a specific variant. Some strange reflection in the model, maybe because the texture as a high specular.

Also it might have some problems with where the unit handle the weapon. I don't know how to test that. But I tried to keep origin point of the models as close as the knife, original, one.

Spoiler

screenshot0013.thumb.png.dd8ac8aad201135037c834b8ec0da8b7.png

• Like 2

Thank you, they look nice!

On 9/25/2020 at 1:04 AM, MrLux said:

Also it might have some problems with where the unit handle the weapon. I don't know how to test that. But I tried to keep origin point of the models as close as the knife, original, one.

What you can do is put your meshes (e.g. knife_01.dae) in the correct location (art/meshes/props/weapons/), insert them as variants in the (existing) art/actors/prop/units/weapons/knife.xml file (cf. xiphos.xml), open Atlas, select a female citizen or infantry, switch to the actor viewer (bottom left), select the attack_slaughter animation, and click “Slow”.

By the way, in the future, could you upload files as a .zip? .rar is a proprietary format and not available on all operating systems.

Also, how do you want to be credited (see gui/credits/texts/art.json)?

Hi.

Everything is in the discussion. However here is the resume: 78-79 triangles by models, for each 5 models variants. Same as the actual knife used. Material is the base_spec.xml with prop_tools.dds as the texture.

#1, 2# 4# #6 and #11 are the uniques models. Variation was a request and I agree on the loss of detail at camera distance & angle. I would say it's a matter of taste to add all of them. At this scale, and given the poly constraint, it would different but not better to exaggerate more the different shapes.

Per request, the zip archive.

butcherknife.blendknife_tool.7z

2 minutes ago, MrLux said:

#1, 2# 4# #6 and #11 are the uniques models. Variation was a request and I agree on the loss of detail at camera distance & angle. I would say it's a matter of taste to add all of them. At this scale, and given the poly constraint, it would different but not better to exaggerate more the different shapes.

Unfortunately variation affects performance. And I'd prefer to have at most 3-4 different knifes that are significantly different.

38 minutes ago, vladislavbelov said:

And I'd prefer to have at most 3-4 different knifes that are significantly different.

For comparison, the falcata.xml uses 5 variant meshes, gladus.xml 6, xiphos.xml 5, and kush_nubian_mace.xml 15, and I daresay their shapes are more similar than the 5 knives in @MrLux's screenshot. Besides, those other weapons are used by only a few actors, whereas the knife is used by the slaughter attack animation of all infantry and female citizens.

I don't know how much it affects performance, though I wonder whether it's significant in this case.