Civ: Germans (Suebians and Goths)

Hey again !

Thank you for the feedback, I've made the changes. I did swap temple and workshop, but it's good that the buildings speak for themselves nonetheless. I'll tale a break of some days on this to cleance my palate and go back for the second wave.

So changelog:

• New blockouts:
    • Cavalry Stable
    • Archery Range
    • Wall Gate, Wall Section and Wall with Towers.
    • Greathall (new version)
  • Mesh modification:
    • Tower defense as wooden straight base.
    • Scale of houses seems to be an effect of the screenshot, explanation under.
    • Temple was made wider, but I kept the stone circles. It's quite appealing and iconic (if not as accurate) of germanic faith. Also runic stones will be fun to texture.
  • Textures:
    • Added a basic color palette. It's going to help get a feel of the cohesion and help me along the line to map the uv. It may seem to cartoonish/lowpoly stylised but it's a work in progress. The more models/parts I add the more refined this texture will be and then when I'm sure of the final result I will make a uptostandard version via substance.

Points of discussion:

• The workshop has a ram in the concept art. I would very much like to add it, but: I was lazy to get historically accurate references for the type of siege engine of this civ, and I did not find the original mesh of the engine of the celts or gauls. If someone would be so kind to point them to me (references or the mesh).
  • The archery range is a bit empty, and it's the biggest case from the concept art problem. Once modeled to scale they are not as cramped. There is two solutions: add eyecandy in the mesh or bolsterise everything. Note post_render: so I went back to compare and I found that my models are on the realistic scale side. I'll remake them to fit the greater scale of the others civs meshes.

The Current work updated:

Civic center

• Spoiler

cc_wip02.png.757f0822a2c45641a96faa047735a585.png

Houses:

• To scale with others in engine:

Spoiler

house_scale_comparaison.thumb.png.5c8b080c88e0313aab59fe8f11660f10.png

• Spoiler

house_wip02.png.40dc61c46989be554f3f4cb83bcc5165.png

House 1

house_02_wip02.png.2577dac2dfaf708595a8603402c64cdb.pngHouse 2

wip02_house_3.png.5e7fa01ec40d627ffc795603be861d0a.pngHouse 3 (as a blockout, ignore the little imperfections, as they will be smoothed out by hand with the final model.)

• Barrack:
    Spoiler

wip02_barrack.png.e7676addb0fe81546e68df6de5952e16.png

• Great Hall (new '1 floor' version)
    Spoiler

wip02_greathall.png.92c0a929595905c1796dfa91f0f525fe.png

The totems are not colored due to being still a modified mesh version (I would need to collapse them, wish is not worth the time to a simple screenshot)

• Tower Defense, version with stone pyramid base and straight wood. The stone version comes from the concept arts of @Obskiuras. Don't know if they were instead meant for late goth civ.
    Spoiler

wip02_tower.thumb.png.ea784470279b0267db94d35ec484484d.pngwip02_tower-v2.thumb.png.724fe83725003122f0bcc68cae722ab1.png

• Temple ( As I said I kept the stone circle because I like it, but it would be easy to remove if that's the final strong opinion)
    Spoiler

wip02_temple.png.ca631a8c33b9ed272814d13642650a4c.png

• The walls and gates
    Spoiler

with gatewip02_wallgate.png.4c3416539e9f7d7656f931e3bb85e4c2.pngwith tower alonewip02_walltower.png.32f688a79ab7b6ff2752fafb4f288aeb.pngmiddle sectionwip02_wallsection.png.eea4fcbc7710e925e796c9e7f5710f69.png

• Workshop (lacking a ram, I still made some wheels. I'm thinking of adding more miscellanious parts to enhance the 'artelier' fell). The stone path for now a mesh, but it will be baked as a decal on the later stages.
    Spoiler

wip02_workshop.png.8e689443143f01e9384bd4654e3892f6.png

• Stables (horse is for embellishment sake, from a personal model.) ... ok, ignore the wall near the trough, seems to be a mirror mistake.
    Spoiler

wip02_stabes.png.31a7925f596049870dff31333eefd39c.png

• Archery Range
    Spoiler

wip02_archeryrange.png.aebd9765c97ceda32c5d6a41f39fef37.png

archery_house_compa.thumb.png.48066139872d024c2959d532e1714c3d.png

The files:

sueban_buildings_blockout.blend

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reserved for German civ layout for Delenda Est. I've already committed some placeholder Suebian and Goth assets to the DE git repository. Using Gaul assets as placeholder for now. https://github.

Suebian workshop

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Heroes? Need at least 3, up to 5.

Ariovistus

• Leader of the Suebi and other allied Germanic peoples in the second quarter of the 1st century BC. He and his followers took part in a war in Gaul, assisting the Arverni and Sequani in defeating their rivals, the Aedui. They then settled in large numbers into conquered Gallic territory, in the Alsace region. They were defeated, however, in the Battle of Vosges and driven back over the Rhine in 58 BC by Julius Caesar.
  • https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Ariovistus

Maroboduus

• King of the Marcomanni, who were Germanic Suebian people. He spent part of his youth in Rome, and returning, found his people under pressure from invasions by the Roman empire between the Rhine and Elbe. He led them into the forests of Bohemia, adjacent to the Quadi who already lived nearby, and established a large alliance.
  • https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Maroboduus

Arminius

• Was a Roman officer and later chieftain of the Germanic Cherusci tribe who is best known for commanding an alliance of Germanic tribes at the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest in 9 AD, in which three Roman legions under the command of general Publius Quinctilius Varus were destroyed. His victory at Teutoburg Forest would precipitate the Roman Empire's permanent strategic withdrawal from Magna Germania.
  • https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Arminius
  • Thinking putting him into the Sueabian mercenary camp, since he wasn't technically a Suebian.

Who else? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Heroes? Need at least 3, up to 5.

Ariovistus

• Leader of the Suebi and other allied Germanic peoples in the second quarter of the 1st century BC. He and his followers took part in a war in Gaul, assisting the Arverni and Sequani in defeating their rivals, the Aedui. They then settled in large numbers into conquered Gallic territory, in the Alsace region. They were defeated, however, in the Battle of Vosges and driven back over the Rhine in 58 BC by Julius Caesar.
  • https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Ariovistus

Maroboduus

• King of the Marcomanni, who were Germanic Suebian people. He spent part of his youth in Rome, and returning, found his people under pressure from invasions by the Roman empire between the Rhine and Elbe. He led them into the forests of Bohemia, adjacent to the Quadi who already lived nearby, and established a large alliance.
  • https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Maroboduus

Arminius

• Was a Roman officer and later chieftain of the Germanic Cherusci tribe who is best known for commanding an alliance of Germanic tribes at the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest in 9 AD, in which three Roman legions under the command of general Publius Quinctilius Varus were destroyed. His victory at Teutoburg Forest would precipitate the Roman Empire's permanent strategic withdrawal from Magna Germania.
  • https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Arminius
  • Thinking putting him into the Sueabian mercenary camp, since he wasn't technically a Suebian.

Who else? 

This one was mentioned earlier in the thread, i think he would be a good choice.

Ballomar

• Leader of the Marcomanni. At first a Roman client ruler; during the first Marcomannic war he formed an alliance with other Germanic tribes and invaded Italy.
  • https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Ballomar

In another thread i posted references for how heroes could be equipped; linking here for convenience (Idea was that Ballomar had more Germanic equipment; while Ariovistus is more Celtified and the other two have looted Roman gear)

On 03/05/2020 at 3:37 PM, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Posting some possible references for Suebian Heroes (Based on your Gaul hero post).

Ariovistus:

Reveal hidden contents

Port helmet (Horned?)

image.png

image.png

SKMBT_C25007052307570.jpg

Chainmail and hexagonal shield:

ariovistus__a_suebian_war_leader__1st_bc2.jpgf39e53ad-9987-40c2-ac9b-76727182aaf

003.jpg

Celtic Long sword:

image.png

Maroboodus (Marobodwos ?):

Reveal hidden contents

Shield and Griffin helmet based on Portonaccio Sarcophagus:

1-20.png

79bab674c9749accb80dd59239e0f9bf.jpg

Spatha

Kemnitz Muscle Cuirass:

marcchieftain.jpg?w=584

Or scale armor:

:germanos_04.jpg

Ballomar (Reconstructed as celtic Ballomaros, possibly germanic Baldomarijaz ?)

Reveal hidden contents

Simple helmet with fur covering or horns:

image.png

image.png

Rectangular shield (As above)

Leather Armor:

image.png

bkc6IZB.thumb.jpg.ceb044959d4f99066e8875aef95375a4.jpg

Vimose Mail Shirt:

csm_Ringbrynje_fra_Vimose__C1078-00010_5

image.png

Fur cape:

18195045_744935582351459_492750564501349

Heavy thrusting spear:

532p.jpg

Arminius could be a fourth option (Mercenary hero?)

Reveal hidden contents

Masked helmet from Kalkriese:

9603021153_246f1856af_h.jpg?w=512&h=736

Similar helmet from Batavian burial modified with a straw wig

bac4d0b3c02ef6437ed273f81809ca62.jpg

e5394vj.jpg

Lorica Hamata, armed with Roman sword or cavalry Spear :arminius_and_inguiomer_flee_idistaviso_b

total-war-arena-arminius-game-8k-wallpap

456309580d2276d182af6bb5d79bc325.jpg

Roman Oval Equestrian or Auxilia shield:

a00e6c2e2dab891688d35e9abddcd8a0.jpg

cJIqXdU.jpg

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Thanks 1
On 25/08/2019 at 9:49 AM, Genava55 said:

Arminius (*Herminaz?) could have Roman equipment from his past (Arminius is actually Cherusci but I think everybody wants him to be a playable hero, the other possibility is Maroboduus which is more accurate and more interesting). Ariovistus (*Harjafristaz? or a Celtic, Ariouistos?) could have Gallic equipment. Ballomar could wear a 100% Germanic outfit and carrying only Germanic weapons.

Edit: Maroboduus could increase the experience gained by his troops as a reflection of the regular training he ordered. Ariovistus could give a territory extension bonus or a capture bonus as a reflection of his conquest in Gaul and his skills in politics. Ballomar could give a bonus in looting.

As a complementary info, we reached the same conclusion I think

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Genava55 said:

As a complementary info, we reached the same conclusion I think

I used your comment as a guideline when i researched their equipment.

I actually quoted it in the original thread.

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/topic/27934-art-references-suebian-german-units-shields-weapons-clothing/?do=findComment&comment=395400

And indeed i think using looted/traded equipment is the best way to have variety between heroes (since early Germanics rarely used armor, and the few finds are mostly from Roman or Celtic source).

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Arminius actor draft. I'll need to use existing assets for these guys for now.

Isn't Arminius a cavarly commander and a Roman eques?

Gameplay wise i think most heroes on DE start on foot and then upgrade to be mounted (unlike normal 0 A.D thing of some heroes being on foot and others mounted).

But if there is a vanilla version of the faction then he should be a cavalry hero indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Genava55 said:

Isn't Arminius a cavarly commander and a Roman eques?

16 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Gameplay wise i think most heroes on DE start on foot and then upgrade to be mounted (unlike normal 0 A.D thing of some heroes being on foot and others mounted).

But if there is a vanilla version of the faction then he should be a cavalry hero indeed.

Indeed, you upgrade your hero to a mount in City Phase. :)

23 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

He'll definitely get a cavalry bonus or aura. Also, some kind of "alliance building" aura. He needs a technology too. 

Any ideas for these, guys? 

One the posts above has some ideas

Edit: Maroboduus could increase the experience gained by his troops as a reflection of the regular training he ordered. Ariovistus could give a territory extension bonus or a capture bonus as a reflection of his conquest in Gaul and his skills in politics. Ballomar could give a bonus in looting.

Not sure how to portray it gameplay wise; but Arminius could have a tech relating to how he ambushed the Romans.

Ariovistus could have something related to cavalry; due to the skilled Belgae and Germanic horsemen he employed.

Maroboduus led his people to Bohemia and estabilished a kingdom there; so maybe he gets a bonus/tech about it (Something like faster building or cheaper CC?)

Since heroes in others factions sometimes affect the roster; maybe heroes could unlock some of the mercenary units from UB to be trained as normal units in fortress.

IE: Arminius unlocks Chatti Veterans and Cheruscian pikemen; Ariovistus unlocks Gallic allied warriors and Rhine cavalry (special horse-stabber unit? or celtified cavalry with mail armor).

• Thanks 1