Nomads and Horse Warrior cultures

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's a Kurgan...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurgan

A kurgan (Turkish kurgan) is a tumulus, a type of burial mound or barrow, heaped over a burial chamber, often of wood.[1] The Russian noun, already attested in Old East Slavic, borrowed by the Turks,[2] compare Modern Turkish kurğan, which means "fortress". Kurgans are mounds of earth and stones raised over a grave or graves. Popularised by its use in Soviet archaeology, the word is now widely used for tumuli in the context of Eastern European and Central Asian archaeology.

The earliest kurgans date to the 4th millennium BC in the Caucasus,[3] and researchers associate these with the Indo-Europeans.[4] Kurgans were built in the Eneolithic, Bronze, Iron, Antiquity and Middle Ages, with ancient traditions still active in Southern Siberia and Central Asia. Archeologists divide kurgan cultures into different sub-cultures, such as Timber Grave, Pit Grave, Scythian, Sarmatian, Hunnish and Kuman-Kipchak.

Kurgans are tombs/tumuli. (South Asian) Stupas are not (contain relics instead).

• Like 1

Mound burials and tumuli come from the neolithic. Saint-Michel tumulus in France is dated from the 5th millennium BC for example. The White Monument in the plain Tell Banat in Syria is an example from the third millennium Early Bronze Age tumulus, simultaneous of the oldest pyramid in Egypt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

@Sundiata theborigin of this is similar to egyptian pyramids(?)

Nope, pyramids evolved from Mastabas. Basically mastaba → stepped pyramid  →  bent pyramid  → true pyramid 

Egyptians had been making use of rectangular grave structures since at least the pre-Dynastic Naqada culture. 

The populations of South Egypt and Sudan were using tumuli since the Neolithic. Usually quite small, but Kerma period Kushite royal tumuli could reach in excess of 90 meters diameter, with many individual "apartments". Lower Nubian nobles (Egyptian-Kushites) and Egyptian nobles started using small pyramids during the New Kingdom, after the Egyptian pharaohs had abandoned the practice. Then with the establishment of the Kushite 25th Dynasty, the Napatan rulers started building royal pyramids again, an evolution from the earlier New Kingdom nobles' pyramids. They just switched from tumulus to pyramid. But most of the common folk continued to be buried in small tumuli, with the exception of Lower Nubian nobles who continued to build small New Kingdom style pyramids. After the collapse of Meroitic Kush, the post-Meroitic royals of El Hobagi actually switched back to tumuli as well... The Blemmye and their Eastern Desert ancestors like the Medjay, as well as Western Desert peoples (including the Nuba, I believe) were using tumuli throughout all of these periods. 

The "Bosnian Pyramids" are considered pseudo-archaeology.. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Nope, pyramids evolved from Mastabas. Basically mastaba → stepped pyramid  →  bent pyramid  → true pyramid 

Egyptians had been making use of rectangular grave structures since at least the pre-Dynastic Naqada culture. 

The populations of South Egypt and Sudan were using tumuli since the Neolithic. Usually quite small, but Kerma period Kushite royal tumuli could reach in excess of 90 meters diameter, with many individual "apartments". Lower Nubian nobles (Egyptian-Kushites) and Egyptian nobles started using small pyramids during the New Kingdom, after the Egyptian pharaohs had abandoned the practice. Then with the establishment of the Kushite 25th Dynasty, the Napatan rulers started building royal pyramids again, an evolution from the earlier New Kingdom nobles' pyramids. They just switched from tumulus to pyramid. But most of the common folk continued to be buried in small tumuli, with the exception of Lower Nubian nobles who continued to build small New Kingdom style pyramids. After the collapse of Meroitic Kush, the post-Meroitic royals of El Hobagi actually switched back to tumuli as well... The Blemmye and their Eastern Desert ancestors like the Medjay, as well as Western Desert peoples (including the Nuba, I believe) were using tumuli throughout all of these periods. 

The "Bosnian Pyramids" are considered pseudo-archaeology.. 

Bosnian i dont know much. but.

is same concept different evolve. unlike other building isn't a temple is a big burial with different cultural meaning.

9 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Bosnian i dont know much. but.

is same concept different evolve. unlike other building isn't a temple is a big burial with different cultural meaning.

What I'm saying is that there is a scientific consensus that they're natural formations. It's basically a scam by a Bosnian businessman, Semir Osmanagić, to develop the area as a tourist attraction... 

But yes, tumuli themselves seem to be associated with the Neolithic expansion, which is also why you find them across such a large range.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

What I'm saying is that there is a scientific consensus that they're natural formations. It's basically a scam by a Bosnian businessman, Semir Osmanagić, to develop the area as a tourist attraction... 

yes i don't said nothing more with this because   have not idea of that thing. my mistake.

my matter is egypt and relation with other kind of Burial mounts/tombs.

now the meaning architecture are obviously very different.

Mound of creation

But in the Abydos example, the enclosure wall was much further from the tomb than in the case of Saqqara.

"My theory is that...these two elements [the mound and the wall] were united at Saqqara by his successor Zozer and then something happened. The mound on top of the tomb was hidden by the large surrounding wall -- it was not visible.

"This was a problem, because this mound I think represented the primeval mound of creation and guaranteed the resurrection of the king," said Dreyer.

The architects of the Saqqara complex solved the problem by building another smaller flat mound on top of the first and then decided to extend it upwards by adding more mounds.

The Sakkara pyramid is an intermediate stage between the flat mounds, known as mastabas, of the earlier period and the smooth-sided classical pyramids of the type found at Giza, just outside the modern city of Cairo.

Archaeologists have long speculated that the pyramids are an extension of the mastaba concept but Dreyer's theory adds the enclosure wall as an explanation for the transition.

Dreyer, who has spent the last decade studying the kings who ruled in southern Egypt in what was called the pre-dynastic period, before about 3100 BC, said he now believed he had identified another king from the period, known by the name of Horus or Hor, the same as that as the falcon god.

He is basing his theory on a close analysis of two ancient palettes, flat ceremonial stone plates on which early Egyptians appear to have recorded historical and mythological events.

Two palettes show a Horus falcon in a context which Dreyer interprets as the place where the name of a king should appear.

Several palettes have been interpreted as commemorating the conquest of Nile Delta towns by the kings from the south, a process which later led to the political unification of Egypt.

The conquest has traditionally been attributed to either King Narmer or King Aha, who lived about 200 years later.

"He [King Horus] started the whole thing, conquering the Delta, several generations before Narmer. Why? He wanted to safeguard trade routes to Palestine which ran along the Delta, where the Egyptians brought all the wine in," Dreyer said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/02/11/egypt.pyramids.reut/

Egypt isn't my area.

13 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I don't think there's a direct connection to the tumuli of Eurasia and the Horn of Africa. Egypt is one of the world's oldest civilizations and I think their burial practices followed an independent evolution, which had begun in pre-Dynastic times. The spread of Neolithic and Bronze Age tumulus building cultures would have been a lot easier across Eurasia than it would through an already well established culture in the Northern/Middle Nile Valley. The spread of this practice to Nubian populations to the south might be explained through a migration of, or contact with Neolithic or early Bronze Age Asiatics through Southern Arabia/Horn of Africa, as opposed through a northern route via Egypt (there are longstanding similarities/relations between South Arabian peoples and Horn of Africa peoples, and a number of these Afro Asiatic speaking people, like the Medjay, interacted heavily with Kushites and other Nilo Saharan speaking peoples, so there was ample opportunity for cultural exchanges in these formative periods. 

2 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

I don't think there's a direct connection to the tumuli of Eurasia and the Horn of Africa. Egypt is one of the world's oldest civilizations and I think their burial practices followed an independent evolution, which had begun in pre-Dynastic times. The spread of Neolithic and Bronze Age tumulus building cultures would have been a lot easier across Eurasia than it would through an already well established culture in the Northern/Middle Nile Valley. The spread of this practice to Nubian populations to the south might be explained through a migration of, or contact with Neolithic or early Bronze Age Asiatics through Southern Arabia/Horn of Africa, as opposed through a northern route via Egypt (there are longstanding similarities/relations between South Arabian peoples and Horn of Africa peoples, and a number of these Afro Asiatic speaking people, like the Medjay, interacted heavily with Kushites and other Nilo Saharan speaking peoples, so there was ample opportunity for cultural exchanges in these formative periods. 

I'm not saying is a connection. is similar idea different backgrounds.

• Like 1