Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

During the Latin exam today, there was a question regarding Cato and Carthage and then I started thinking and long story short: perhaps give the Romans the ability to deposit salt on fields which either leads to random death of one of the field owner's units or the death of one of the units harvesting the field to create a starvation effect. Ideally I would like sieges in which a walled settlement starves and all units within the walls just die.

During the Latin exam today, there was a question regarding Cato and Carthage and then I started thinking and long story short: perhaps give the Romans the ability to deposit salt on fields which either leads to random death of one of the field owner's units or the death of one of the units harvesting the field to create a starvation effect. Ideally I would like sieges in which a walled settlement starves and all units within the walls just die.

Yeh that will be cool... And mabe a spie systim like in setelers... Where you go in and get a list about all units and rescourses of the player... it will be cool... then only high level military and other spies can catch one another... Mabe only for capains to get info... Then you can have a tech CounterEspionage and Espionage... Espionage make the spie only visible to the enemie's higher units and increase spie speed... Presicely the opposite for CounterEspionage. Could make the gamplay better or more interesting...

I would also love the Idea of different formations having different atvanteges... and disadvanteges

Quickie suggestion: why not reuse old models to greater differentiate civilisations?

The Spartans could get the old version of the dock from iirc 2 alphas ago, since they weren't big on their navy. The Gauls could also have the longhouse as their standard house, given that they were more 'urbanised' than the Brits.

(then again I might not know what I'm talking about- history isn't exactly my forte!-, but those are the general impressions I'm getting)

in the meantime, we'll gladly brainstorm and tell you our ideas when you're ready ;)

I'm thinking these changes for Celtics, to differentiate Britons from Gauls:

Britons

Round defense towers (like the old old old Celtic towers from circa 2004)

Gauls

Blockhouses/Longhouses

Both (along with Iberians) would get a Blacksmith building. Perhaps these can be differentiated slightly.

Now, for Hellenics (Athenians, Spartans, Macedonians):

Athenians

Ionic Order columns and entablature.

Spartans

Doric Order columns and entablature.

Macedonians

Corinthian Order columns and entablature.

I'm still not happy with the Hellenic market, but that can be reworked later.

Thanks for the reply!

And speaking of ships, I think their armour needs to be upped a bit. I don't think wood on biremes should be weaker than human skin. :P

Pierce armour especially should be up. It's fairly easy to sink ships with archers or with arrows from other ships, which shouldn't be the case if rams are going to be introduced later. Though I guess the weak armour's just an interim 'feature' until rams come up.

Damage wise, Spartan women should have their attack upped a bit; I'd imagine that they'd be a bit fitter than other civs' female citizens. Not to soldier level, but enough to hinder attackers somewhat. Also, what happened to JuBot? :( It was my favourite bot- it'd actually garrison units, something which I didn't see qbot do.

Thanks for the reply!

And speaking of ships, I think their armour needs to be upped a bit. I don't think wood on biremes should be weaker than human skin. :P

Pierce armour especially should be up. It's fairly easy to sink ships with archers or with arrows from other ships, which shouldn't be the case if rams are going to be introduced later. Though I guess the weak armour's just an interim 'feature' until rams come up.

Damage wise, Spartan women should have their attack upped a bit; I'd imagine that they'd be a bit fitter than other civs' female citizens. Not to soldier level, but enough to hinder attackers somewhat. Also, what happened to JuBot? :( It was my favourite bot- it'd actually garrison units, something which I didn't see qbot do.

Use Outposts and tower for defense, Garison unit in a tower and a single in outpost.

Im not a game developer but an avid fan of strategy games and i want to thank all of you who created this and bring the game in the hands of gamer but can you develop the next alpha not to take 1 month or instead about 4 to fill all necessary things to the game cuz i or everybody love this game and want the next alpha more enhance than the other?

Im not a game developer but an avid fan of strategy games and i want to thank all of you who created this and bring the game in the hands of gamer but can you develop the next alpha not to take 1 month or instead about 4 to fill all necessary things to the game cuz i or everybody love this game and want the next alpha more enhance than the other?

Well, changes take time. Releasing a new alpha version isn't the easiest work in the world and to throw a new release for every new feature they implement would take an unecessarily great effort. You can compile the game yourself with the SVN version (the one the developers work in) if you follow the instructions. This way you can test every new feature as soon as the developers release it.

Well, changes take time. Releasing a new alpha version isn't the easiest work in the world and to throw a new release for every new feature they implement would take an unecessarily great effort. You can compile the game yourself with the SVN version (the one the developers work in) if you follow the instructions. This way you can test every new feature as soon as the developers release it.

I might be wrong, but I understood the poster to mean "please wait until you have enough good new features before releasing a new alpha rather than release one too soon with few new things" :)

I would suggest that there be a slight overhaul with the way that the Spartan civilization functions. As they work now, you have pereoikoi/skiritae, helots, and Spartans as the main classes of units. There are two additions that should be done with the present system. The first is to add in the slave helot class. These would be extremely cheap units which would not fight, but would be capable of building any structure. If they are left alone however, they will run away from you. One way to prevent this is by leaving several idle pereoikoi in their line of sight. Even with the pereoikoi though, they could be captured like sheep in Age of Empires II. The only units which would stop capture entirely would be Spartans, which would be divided into two classes: Spartan Cadets, or hypomeiones; and Spartan Officers, homioi (forgive me if I spelled it incorrectly.) Spartan cadets would be available in the town phase, and would have moderately powerful combat strength as they would serve the role of a champion unit which accumulates experience. Additionally, if they are near helots, it is possible to use those slaves as skirmishers. After a cadet has earned three chevrons of experience, they convert to Spartan Officers, units which are not only powerful, but also practical for the small attack increase they would provide for nearby units. There could also be an option to 'emancipate' experienced helots. This action could convert them to be either Skititae or perhaps Spartan Cadets. Such action should only be possible in one's territory.

I just found something intersting about the Gauls (in fact, the Belgae, but it looks like all Belgae in 0 A.D. are considered Gauls).

The Nervii used to construct dense hedges (by cutting and weaving bushes). Those hedges were too dense to loo though, so impossible to penetrate. They also gave a big disadvantage to cavalry (and since the Nervii was almost purely infantry, they had an advantage).

So I was thinking about a hedge that could be build like a palisade (cheap and quick to build), but could also be harvested as a tree, to gain wood. Maybe it could even be possible to build the hedges in neutral area.

Sources mentioning the hedges:

http://www.livius.org/caa-can/caesar/caesar_t19.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sabis

I just started to try the scenario editor and I realized, that a few buildings where much to small. The theatre for example, is about as high as a unit. But in real this greek theaters had place for a lot of people. I know that the theatre would then barely fit in the building zone but then make the zone a bit bigger and the theatre a bit smaller than it should be.

Did you thought about adding some animation for the destruction of buildings? So that it just stand there until it has 0 health and then ''bing'', not there any more, only rubble! If a catapult shoot it could take of a bit of the to, and then a other stone gets stuck in the wall, and so on until after the 10th shot the building collapses. Not that it disappears, but that i collapses and the stones are still there for a while(or that the units even have to move them to clear the place), like in real life.

i know that this must be very complicated and i would surely help you, to create an even better game than it already is, if I had the skills knowledge and time todo so!

By the way i have a mac and if i select something and press the delete button as it is written in the wiki it doesn't work :(

Edited by greenlaser

• Stan` featured this topic