The Big Eyecandy Progress List

• 3 months later...

Hi i can try making a couple of different tree stumps. Can someone send me a few textures though? And i cant promis that they are going to get finished soon. Will that be a problem?

O and should i make this a new topic or can i just leave it here?

L. Bosman

Edited by laurens777

Welcome laurenss777 just leave it here for now if enough people like them they will most likely end up in-game and take your time but try to keep the poly count down ;) as they are not really necessary for the game why degrade performance.

Enjoy the Choice :)

I just found how to make your eyecandy unpassable (so soldiers can't walk through) in a decent way (without putting other entities in it).

Basically, you make a template template_eyecandy.xml with the following code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Entity parent="template_entity_quasi">
<Obstruction>
<Active>true</Active>
<BlockMovement>true</BlockMovement>
<BlockPathfinding>true</BlockPathfinding>
<BlockFoundation>true</BlockFoundation>
<BlockConstruction>true</BlockConstruction>
<DisableBlockMovement>false</DisableBlockMovement>
<DisableBlockPathfinding>false</DisableBlockPathfinding>
</Obstruction>
<OverlayRenderer/>
<Selectable>
<Overlay>
<Outline>
<LineTexture>outline_border.png</LineTexture>
<LineTextureMask>outline_border_mask.png</LineTextureMask>
<LineThickness>0.4</LineThickness>
</Outline>
</Overlay>
</Selectable>
<VisualActor>
<SilhouetteDisplay>false</SilhouetteDisplay>
<SilhouetteOccluder>true</SilhouetteOccluder>
<VisibleInAtlasOnly>false</VisibleInAtlasOnly>
</VisualActor>
</Entity>

After that, you can put the eyecandy actor in a template like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Entity parent="template_eyecandy">
<Footprint>
<Square width="1.5" depth="4.25"/>
<Height>4.0</Height>
</Footprint>
<Identity>
<Civ>gaia</Civ>
<GenericName>Bench</GenericName>
<SpecificName>Wooden Bench</SpecificName>
<History>A short wooden bench.</History>
<Icon>gaia/special_fence.png</Icon>
</Identity>
<Obstruction>
<Static width="1.0" depth="4.0"/>
</Obstruction>
<VisualActor>
<Actor>props/special/eyecandy/bench_1.xml</Actor>
</VisualActor>
</Entity>

Of course, you need to edit the obstruction form according to the size of your object. The identity isn't needed, but I think, once a better search arrives in Atlas, it could be useful to search on those keywords in the identity information.

This results in an object you can only select in Atlas via ALT+CLICK, it can't be selected in game, but you can't walk through it in game. There is also no possibility of destroying it and whatnot. You can also add other tags (s.a. the Anchor tag to rotate it to terrain form).

With this, they also arrive in the "Entities" section of Atlas, and not in the "Actors" section.

Edited by sanderd17

Nice!

What still remains to be done is making it possible to walk through only certain parts of an entity (like with gates).

Glest has a system where you can make obstruction overlays in such a form:

xxxx
xxxx
xxoo
xxox

(where x is obstruction and o is walkable, forgot the actual letters they used)

would something similar be possible? (Or even better: using B&W obstruction images, but that pretty much boils down to the same, except being more detailed)

PS.

Not being destroyable may not be something we want for a bench :-) but it'll be of great use for geological things and scenarios (blocking routes and whatnot)

Edited by idanwin

The bench was just an example, if you want it destroyable, it's a regular entity (like the bench currently in the game), this was just an example.

And partial obstructions are possible, just look at the gate code: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/templates/template_structure_defense_wall_gate.xml#L40

The gate has 3 obstruction parts, of which the door one is enabled and disabled through code. But you can just define any form by combining obstruction rectangles. The names are irrelevant (they can be used in software to enable and disable them), but you just need to take care of the x-z coordinate (which is the centre point of the obstruction rectangle) and the width-depth which defines the size of the rectangle. This system does require you to calculate some coordinates on beforehand.

I just found how to make your eyecandy unpassable (so soldiers can't walk through) in a decent way (without putting other entities in it).

Basically, you make a template template_eyecandy.xml with the following code:

I'm surprised there isn't already a template that does this.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice. Some points of criticism though:

• The sides and the top of the table should have different textures. Look at the front view, nobody can will place pieces of wood like that, the colours match too exactly
  • The roof should probably 'hang' a little. Now it's a bit too flat
  • Some props are missing. Like an extra solid wood block (you can't work with meat on planks, you need something solid to work on), and some knifes would also do good
  • Don't be afraid to get more polies, even little eyecandy objects already in game have more polies (like the buried barrels already have 92 tris, and that's a lot smaller than a butcher's rack).

Edited by sanderd17

I think it would be funny to have an alternative to the cobra car in AoE. What about a General Lee? :)

This would require some major changes for CCmpUnitMotion, or even a new CCmpUnitMotion component. It requires f.e. accelleration and turn circle.

VDrift has a nice repository of cars: http://sourceforge.net/p/vdrift/code/1253/tree/vdrift-art/trunk/models/cars/ but I don't know under which license they fall. The main page says it's GPL, but that's probably the engine only.

There is a ticket about turn radius: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/940 it also was discussed for sieges IIRC.

About acceleration (also discussed in the ticket above) I'm not sure how it would fit into the game, it should maybe take in account also terrain slopes and impact pathfinding? Do other RTS implement it?

But just for a funny cheat they should not be needed.

Vdrift art license is not very clear according to this: https://wiki.debian.org/Games/Vdrift/license-issues