Tips and Tricks page

13 minutes ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Although once the game get's out of alpha I would love to see a physical special edition like those old boxes of Age of Empires with fold out things and thick manuals.

That could be doable. At least in PDF form that people can download and print. Perhaps hard copy versions for a merch store.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I was chatting with Stan, and I was thinking I could really expand upon this feature and add an in-game manual of sorts, so scrollbar functionality would be really nice to have. This "manual" would delve deeper than the tips and tricks flipbook does/would and would help supplement the Encyclopedia. But wouldn't be as in-depth as a full hardcopy manual from the 1990s.

That'd be so cool! As @ShadowOfHassensaid, we always hoped to eventually add a big gameplay/strategy section to the encyclopedia.

About the scrollbar, it would require no additional code at all - only adding 'scrollbar=true' to the text field. The biggest effort would be designing the new style - which I think really needs to be done if we decide for it.

I don't know how you're planning on structuring it, but my suggestion would be to use another interface (the encyclopedia page for example) for the in-depth parts and leave the current flipbook as it is (without adding a scrollbar) as a small section of the whole giving quick, superficial tips - most of the current ones are pretty useful already, but can't be directly expanded upon.

8 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Sorry duder, you're right. It took me a while, but I figured out it's still in the base game and it's controlled by templates/special/players/{civ}.xml. Indeed it takes a Hero to unlock Civic Centers for Ptol and Sele because of their Military Colonies. @Vantha That should definitely be in a Tip.

Interesting, I didn't know this feature. I have a whole list of possible topics for tips, but currently lack time to create the text and images for them. I'll note it down.

Edited by Vantha
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:
7 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

That could be doable. At least in PDF form that people can download and print. Perhaps hard copy versions for a merch store.

There is a python script that generates that from the templates IIRC.

On 24/08/2024 at 11:16 PM, Vantha said:

Valid concern. How about adding a subtle brown underlay to the buttons' base texture? Something like this:

screenshot0017.thumb.png.200e0b39eeaae8046ae940081bcc3c44.png

What do you think of this? Is it indication enough that they're buttons?

• Like 2

The higher the level of a citizen-soldier (advanced, elite), the better he fights, but the less efficient he is at gathering resources.

Actually, I removed this line entirely here. It was part of the tip about resource gathering which ended up getting too long for the available space in the GUI. It had to be cut down and this line was not directly related to the topic anyway.

That's not to say this information shouldn't be included in the tips. In fact, I believe a separate tip about unit ranks would be quite useful. To my knowledge, players are currently not taught about the game's experience system anywhere. Definitely something to keep in mind for the future.

• Like 2