BUG: Using the hotkey allows sending flares when not intended

Vantha

After winning a game, the flare button deactivates, but by using the assigned hotkey (by default "k") sending flares remains possible, despite the cursor (correctly) not switching to the flare icon:

Edit: Does the video play correctly? It only works every other time for me.

Edited by Vantha

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Yes, it also "works" in multiplayer. I think that's because winning players are not made observers at the end of the game. Actually, they should probably indeed be able to do it. Maybe the real bug here is that the button is deactivated.

9 hours ago, Vantha said:

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Yes, it also "works" in multiplayer. I think that's because winning players are not made observers at the end of the game. Actually, they should probably indeed be able to do it. Maybe the real bug here is that the button is deactivated.

By it works do you mean other player see them, other observer see them or only you see them.

See https://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/25761

By it works I mean it's possible to send flares and the team mates (the winning players) can see them. And considering these players aren't observers at this point, I think that's the intended behaviour. So the question is then why is the button disabled and why doesn't the cursor change when pressing the hotkey? That might be the actual bug here.

You shouldn't be able to interact with the game once you've lost is my understanding of why the button is disabled.

The icon is disabled because it checks for whether the unit is an observer but the actual action doesn't check for that but rather whether you control the player which is probably broken somehow. You can check the changes in D1751 and input.js

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

You shouldn't be able to interact with the game once you've lost is my understanding of why the button is disabled.

The icon is disabled because it checks for whether the unit is an observer but the actual action doesn't check for that but rather whether you control the player which is probably broken somehow. You can check the changes in D1751 and input.js

The bug occurs (not when you've lost but) when you've won, at which point you're still a player (not an observer). And in that case, you should be able to still send flares and the button should not be disabled, right?

14 hours ago, Stan` said:

Ah sorry, yeah we could probably make an exception for winners, although I'm not sure what the point would be to still be able to flare :)

If we cut off the ability for winning players to flare, then we should do the same for players without any teammates to see the flares.

On 23/05/2024 at 12:59 PM, Vantha said:

If we cut off the ability for winning players to flare, then we should do the same for players without any teammates to see the flares.

Is that the desired behaviour?

I want to open a ticket and maybe make a patch for it.

Might be interesting to document their function in detail (ideally in the design document but a trac page might be enough) Basically intended usage (when and how to use it (hotkeys,buttons)), restrictions, and any other things relevant

On 23/05/2024 at 3:59 AM, Vantha said:

I am not sure what you mean by the second half here, but I would be fine with either disallowing winning players to flare or re-activating the button and UI icon.

5 hours ago, chrstgtr said:

Don't care. Also, don't think it matters outside of people wanting to debrief a game to someone else. 

I agree. I can see use of map flares after a game ends in order to discuss what happened and mark exact positions instead of trying to communicate them verbally. Another use case is to mark where to pose armies for post-battle screenshots.

Edited by Norse_Harold