Algorithm for choosing unique names of AI-controlled players

45 minutes ago, alre said:

is this a problem?

one can look up any name, not just the ones belonging to a ruler. anyone having had an attested name is potentially interesting to a curious player. I wonder if there are any civs for which we couldn't come up with 8 names that we know they were given to just anyone minimally interesting.

Zapotecs in Terra Magna mod.

I will submit a patch and my plan is to increase each civ's AI names list to at least 8 different entries in the very same patch to not temporarily "break" anything. I haven't done deep research yet but here are the best ruler names I found:

There's one missing for the Gauls, I suggest Orgetorix.

The Iberians are missing four, I suggest Olyndicus, Calcus, Orison, and Tanginus.

The Mauryans need one last name too, but I am struggling to find one since the current names are all emperors (there are nine emperors two of which are heroes in 0ad which leaves one of the eight spots missing). Does anyone have a suggestion?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Vantha said:

I will submit a patch and my plan is to increase each civ's AI names list to at least 8 different entries in the very same patch to not temporarily "break" anything. I haven't done deep research yet but here are the best ruler names I found:

There's one missing for the Gauls, I suggest Orgetorix.

The Iberians are missing four, I suggest Olyndicus, Calcus, Orison, and Tanginus.

The Mauryans need one last name too, but I am struggling to find one since the current names are all emperors (there are nine emperors two of which are heroes in 0ad which leaves one of the eight spots missing). Does anyone have a suggestion?

According to Chat GPT

1. Chandragupta Maurya
2. Bindusara
3. Ashoka
4. Dasharatha Maurya
5. Samprati Maurya
6. Shaliastambha
7. Satadhanvan
8. Brihadratha Maurya
9. Devavarman

2 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

According to Chat GPT

1. Chandragupta Maurya
2. Bindusara
3. Ashoka
4. Dasharatha Maurya
5. Samprati Maurya
6. Shaliastambha
7. Satadhanvan
8. Brihadratha Maurya
9. Devavarman

Yes, these are the nine emperors. Chandragupta and Ahsoka are heroes. And the remaining seven form the list of AI names. For it to be eight, there's one name missing...

What about Pushyamitra Shunga , a general who assassinated Brihadratha ? (sorry my poor knowledge is bluntly copied from Wikipedia)

Edit: of course this is not a Mauryan emperor anymore as he started the ensuing line of Shunga emperors, but at least part of the same epoch and linked to the Mauryans.

Edited by Grautvornix
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Grautvornix said:

What about Pushyamitra Shunga , a general who assassinated Brihadratha ? (sorry my poor knowledge is bluntly copied from Wikipedia)

Edit: of course this is not a Mauryan emperor anymore as he started the ensuing line of Shunga emperors, but at least part of the same epoch and linked to the Mauryans.

This what Chat 

From Chat GPT bot:
Ah, I'm sorry! There seems to have been a mix-up. The Maurya dynasty had only nine known kings. However, if you are interested in prominent figures or leaders associated with the Maurya dynasty, I can mention some other relevant characters. Apart from the kings, there are figures like Chanakya, who was a sage, philosopher, economist and political strategist who played a crucial role in the founding of the Maurya Empire. There is also Ashoka's empress consort, Devi, who played a significant role in his reign.

If you're looking for leaders in the broader sense, we could also talk about governors and military commanders who played a crucial role in the expansion and stability of the Maurya Empire. Just tell me what kind of leaders or figures you're looking for and I'll be happy to help!
_---------

Devi is good choice.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devi_(wife_of_Ashoka)

But we can expand more the list according chat GPT.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

This what Chat 

From Chat GPT bot:
Ah, I'm sorry! There seems to have been a mix-up. The Maurya dynasty had only nine known kings. However, if you are interested in prominent figures or leaders associated with the Maurya dynasty, I can mention some other relevant characters. Apart from the kings, there are figures like Chanakya, who was a sage, philosopher, economist and political strategist who played a crucial role in the founding of the Maurya Empire. There is also Ashoka's empress consort, Devi, who played a significant role in his reign.

If you're looking for leaders in the broader sense, we could also talk about governors and military commanders who played a crucial role in the expansion and stability of the Maurya Empire. Just tell me what kind of leaders or figures you're looking for and I'll be happy to help!
_---------

Devi is good choice.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devi_(wife_of_Ashoka)

But we can expand more the list according chat GPT.

1. Bhadrasala: A Maurya general who challenged Ashoka before he became emperor.

2. Sushim: A nobleman and military commander who served under Ashoka's reign.

3. Pusyamitra: Not to be confused with Pushyamitra Shunga, he was a general who served under Ashoka's reign.

4. Bhadrasena: Another military commander who played an important role in the expansion of the Maurya empire.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I think I will be going with Tivala Maurya and Kunala Maurya. (as you can see in the family tree here, they both were at some point heirs to the throne, and even though they themselves never held the title of emperor, their sons did. Therefore making both of them part of the imperial Mauryan bloodline.)

I might add Devi too, she also fits well.

• Like 3

I've tried to sign up for Phabricator to submit the patch multiple times over the last several days, but I have never received the verification email necessary to finish the registration process. Is the responsible server down?

45 minutes ago, Vantha said:

I've tried to sign up for Phabricator to submit the patch multiple times over the last several days, but I have never received the verification email necessary to finish the registration process. Is the responsible server down?

Trac looks alive. However, couldn't use submit the thing to the GitHub mirror?

1 hour ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Trac looks alive. However, couldn't use submit the thing to the GitHub mirror?

No, that is really only a mirror.

@Vantha just ask an admin to manually activate the phab account. Spam bots are just to common this days and the hurdles placed for them might occasionally affect legitimate attempts at registering.

1 hour ago, Gurken Khan said:

Thx @Vantha!

So, are we sure now how the game picks AI leader names?

Yes. They get picked only from the AINames in files in simulation/data/civs/.

In A26 as well as A27 RC, these lists include heroes. However, they were recently cut in this revision, removing hero names and other duplicates. And Themistocles is one of the heroes.

Edited by Vantha
  • Like 1