PLS fix sever crashing at min 30+

I guess that Barcodes is referring to Windows servers crashing at around 30 minutes. I have noticed that 4v4 team games tend to use about 4 GB of memory (on a Linux system) around the 30 minute mark. I think that the problem that Barcodes is describing is caused by the memory limits of a 32-bit Windows process. The fix is to release a 64-bit build for Windows.

Barcodes, to confirm, please tell us whether the players who crash around 30 minutes are using Windows. Also please ask those players to open Task Manager around 30 minutes and watch the memory usage of the 0ad process. Tell us whether it's close to 4 GB, such as 3.8 GB or higher, before crashing.

Edited by Norse_Harold
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Norse_Harold said:

I guess that Barcodes is referring to Windows servers crashing at around 30 minutes. I have noticed that 4v4 team games tend to use about 4 GB of memory around the 30 minute mark. I think that the problem that Barcodes is describing is caused by the memory limits of a 32-bit Windows process. The fix is to release a 64-bit build for Windows.

Barcodes, to confirm, please open Task Manager around 30 minutes and watch the memory usage of the 0ad process. Tell us whether it's close to 4 GB, such as 3.8 GB or higher, before crashing.

no worries will do that when i'm home 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

Barcodes, to confirm, please tell us whether the players who crash around 30 minutes are using Windows

Mac hosts using 64 bit versions have also crashed around the 40 minute mark. 

The real problem @Barcodes is referring to is when all players go OOS around that time mark. Typically, a few players will go out of sync before that but they can leave and rejoin to continue. For some reason, around the 40 minute mark ALL players will go OOS. 

Edited by chrstgtr

23 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

It is pretty loosely 40 minutes. Sometimes it is 36 mins, sometimes, 42, etc. Another thing is that when this happens, it also seems that spectators are sometimes OOS, even though they are not players.

It is an interesting problem, since relatively few games reach ~40 minutes.

Yes. It also only tends to happen in 4v4 games (i.e., 1v1s that last 40 minutes do not go OOS)

1 hour ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

It is pretty loosely 40 minutes. Sometimes it is 36 mins, sometimes, 42, etc. Another thing is that when this happens, it also seems that spectators are sometimes OOS, even though they are not players.

It is an interesting problem, since relatively few games reach ~40 minutes.

just had this happen in a game, min 28 all players got oos

We possibly have an undiagnosed OOS. To debug that we need the ooslogs of at least two players and the replays. I wonder if it happens if players do nothing for 30 minutes.

Ideally we'd get one with 0 mods just to be sure.

7 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

Can we still check the RAM usage of the 0ad process at intervals before the symptoms occur, please?

And that too yes. If there is no RAM left, it could corrupt the state and explain the OOS.

Thanks, Barcodes. That's consistent with my guess about 0ad reaching the maximum memory allocation for a 32-bit process. On Windows the limit is usually 2 GB, but it's 3GB if the executable is built with large address aware mode.

I advise using Linux or Mac to host 0ad team games until alpha 27 is released and hopefully includes a 64-bit build for Windows.

Edited by Norse_Harold
  • Like 3

Hello, I have also encountered problems where the game suddenly crashes at between 40 minutes and 50 minutes when playing local game against 7 AI opponents. The error message was long and unintelligible (to me), but the last sentence suggested "Memory Error". I am using a Windows 11 computer with 16GB RAM in total, but only 7GB was used in total when the game crashed. 

I made a Ubuntu virtual machine with 8GB RAM using VirtualBox and tried to play the game in there. It was very slow but the game never crashed. The maximum RAM usage was 6.4GB. Therefore I think the cause of crash is Windows version of the game has bug. 

I have a solution for Windows users: @Barcodes

1. Set up a virtual machine running Linux operating system (choose a light distribution for example Lubuntu); allocate 8GB of RAM, 4 CPU cores and 40GB disk space to it. 

2. Install 0A.D. inside the Linux virtual machine. You can find it at the first place in software centre or use the terminal  command: sudo apt-get install 0ad

3. Host a game using your Linux machine, but put yourself (hosting you) as unassigned spectator. 

4. To play, join your game from your real Windows machine as a guest player. 

5. Press start from the virtual machine when you are ready. 

Your Windows side will still crash after 40 minutes, but you now can simply run the 0AD game again from the Windows side then you can rejoin and play on without losing progress. The host cannot crash anymore, so at least you won't ruin the game for your friends. 

After using this solution, I played against 7 AI again. My player Window crashed 3 times in the 2 hours long war but I did eventually win the game after rejoining. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dr.Ahmadinejad said:

Hello, I have also encountered problems where the game suddenly crashes at between 40 minutes and 50 minutes when playing local game against 7 AI opponents. The error message was long and unintelligible (to me), but the last sentence suggested "Memory Error". I am using a Windows 11 computer with 16GB RAM in total, but only 7GB was used in total when the game crashed. 

I made a Ubuntu virtual machine with 8GB RAM using VirtualBox and tried to play the game in there. It was very slow but the game never crashed. The maximum RAM usage was 6.4GB. Therefore I think the cause of crash is Windows version of the game has bug. 

I have a solution for Windows users: @Barcodes

1. Set up a virtual machine running Linux operating system (choose a light distribution for example Lubuntu); allocate 8GB of RAM, 4 CPU cores and 40GB disk space to it. 

2. Install 0A.D. inside the Linux virtual machine. You can find it at the first place in software centre or use the terminal  command: sudo apt-get install 0ad

3. Host a game using your Linux machine, but put yourself (hosting you) as unassigned spectator. 

4. To play, join your game from your real Windows machine as a guest player. 

5. Press start from the virtual machine when you are ready. 

Your Windows side will still crash after 40 minutes, but you now can simply run the 0AD game again from the Windows side then you can rejoin and play on without losing progress. The host cannot crash anymore, so at least you won't ruin the game for your friends. 

After using this solution, I played against 7 AI again. My player Window crashed 3 times in the 2 hours long war but I did eventually win the game after rejoining. 

i don't play vs AI