0 A.D's Built-in Encyclopedia

Lion.Kanzen

1 minute ago, Vantha said:

Possible, yes. I suppose there could be a small button "View Source" to the bottom of articles. I have some concerns with it, though. Firstly, there is (naturally) no consistent medium or platform we used as sources - sometimes it's a book, other times a Wikipedia entry, and other times again a scientific paper. Maybe I'm overthinking this a bit, but don't you think that would come across a bit... strange? Secondly, does the WildfireGames team event support/allow external links in their game?

No need for a link, a reference would be enough.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/APA_style

2 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

No need for a link, a reference would be enough.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/APA_style

Yes, except I'm going to well actually you. At least in America APA is for psychology and other social sciences,  History uses the Chicogo style:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chicago_Manual_of_Style

Being an English snob, I'd prefer to use the "right" way, mostly for fun.

Hmm. I'm not convinced. Wouldn't it just add another layer of complexity? What about articles requiring multiple citations? We might end up having to cite every statement individually. And it's not like our texts include controversial opinions or bold claims - most of the information provided is universally accepted as correct - in which case citations become rather pointless anyway.

Not to mention the hassle of working with different citation styles for different languages and countries...

15 minutes ago, Vantha said:

Hmm. I'm not convinced. Wouldn't it just add another layer of complexity? What about articles requiring multiple citations? We might end up having to cite every statement individually. And it's not like our texts include controversial opinions or bold claims - most of the information provided is universally accepted as correct - in which case citations become rather pointless anyway.

Not to mention the hassle of working with different citation styles for different languages and countries...

We can just have a list of sources in a readme file if that’s easier, I just want sources somewhere people can find. Maybe in credits too? It’d make in game credits very long 

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I haven't read the whole discussion, but I'll just say this isn't a scholarly work meant to be published in an academic journal. So, citing each statement is completely unnecessary. A list of sources though would be pretty nice. It's more than just about any other video game would bother to do. 

That’s how I see things. Although indulge me a brief moment of fantasy— I’d love to get the articles verified and reviewed by historians so we know completely for sure that things are true, id hate to have something I wrote spread misinformation 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

If someone is looking over the loading screen tips: I just read one saying most champions are built in the fortress; which is not the case anymore...

Yes. The one about the Carthaginian Sacred Band, right?

Both are trainable from the Temple, instead of the Fortress like most other champions.

I made a patch revising the entire list of loading screen tips. You can find the updated list here (At the moment. They will be moved to a new location in the future) Regarding this specific passage, I reworded it to "... , unlike most other Champions."
here.

• Like 1

On 25/09/2024 at 10:06 PM, Vantha said:
SPEARMEN

The basic Melee Infantry available to every civilization in the game.

Ackchually, some civs don't have spearmen but pikes. And is it "basic" when it's p2? But maybe I'm too pedantic.

CIVIC CENTER

Claim large tracts of land

I'm for rephrasing it to "huge" tracts of land. :)

11 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Ackchually, some civs don't have spearmen but pikes. And is it "basic" when it's p2? But maybe I'm too pedantic.

11 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Hmm, to be honest, I think both are alright as they are right now, but yes, there might still be some more room for improvements. I will note down your suggestions for now; I plan to make another tips-related PR eventually anyway.

16 hours ago, Vantha said:
On 01/10/2024 at 5:42 PM, Gurken Khan said:

Hmm, to be honest, I think both are alright as they are right now, but yes, there might still be some more room for improvements. I will note down your suggestions for now; I plan to make another tips-related PR eventually anyway.

@Vantha, "huge tracks of land" is a reference from Monty Python's Holy Grail, which is why @Gurken Khan suggested it. It's up to you, but it's a one word change for a reference that's actually if you watch the show.

4 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

@Vantha, "huge tracks of land" is a reference from Monty Python's Holy Grail, which is why @Gurken Khan suggested it. It's up to you, but it's a one word change for a reference that's actually if you watch the show.

I have to admit that I missed this reference. I'm all for including it then. Thanks for pointing it out.

• Like 2