Alpha 27 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

• 3 weeks later...

On 10/08/2023 at 5:05 PM, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I put it in civ bonuses, since its not a technology.

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D5083

I would think it much harder to get promotion units in the tech tree. And it might be a little cluttered to then show the promotion of cs units too.

True, but still people can't see the stats of centurions in this way. Could be shown in structure tree as isolated unit at P3 also saying upgrade from rank 3 melee units.

On 02/06/2023 at 6:16 AM, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Unit spec upgrades: eles

researched from the ele stable (if some civ ever has ele mercs, they would just be researched from that building)

Howdah

Elephants (melee and ranged) +1 pierce armor

Battlefield intimidation

Elephants (melee and ranged) gain 1.5x counter to cavalry.

These two upgrades should work out pretty well to accomodate both melee and ranged eles. Also they will help elephants endure into the late game against cavalry and ranged cavalry in particular.

The other two can be 'Tusk spikes', a unique upgrade bolstering the splash attack at the expense of further reducing crush damage, while the remaining can be a building upgrade for the ele stables for healing eles inside.

Hm, for my understanding of the game fights of ELEs vs CAV was not a common situation and CAV is much faster so bonus of 1.5 vs CAV is good but not so relevant.

For balancing and realism I would wish for a more directional splash damage of the ELEs. They can't do damage front and back of them at the same time. I would suggest maximum 1/3 of a circle in front of them.

On 12/07/2023 at 1:27 PM, hyperion said:

Yes, deliberate game design. In the past the only way to train a ram as Mauryan was to capture an enemy fort for instance. Feel free to discuss this in a dedicated thread. My personal take it is fine as is.

Sorry, it is not fine. Capturing enemy buildings with production capabilities is inconsistent and should be fixed!

Right now for most CIVs for captured barracks, stables and arsenals one has the same options as for your native buildings. Exception is HAN CIV here you can not make crossbowman or catapults, but u can research the upgrade for ranged archers in stable. While the latter is not a big issue the lack of crossbowman and catapults in captured buildings is a disadvantage compared to other CIVs. This should be fixed in a27.

For CCs I wish for the same. A captured CC should have the same production capabilities as the a native CC. For some CIV combinations one can just make women from a captured CC.

It would also be nice to make KUSH and CARTH making CHAMPs from any captured temple not just from the native one.

Capturing CART embassies and KUSH mercenary buildings gives you the option to produce the full range of mercenaries the native CIV can. However, in captured colonies most CIVs can just make women.

When capturing most special buildings in most cases one cannot produce anything. This needs discussion. I think when a CIV can make Heroes from a fort, it should also be possible to make heroes in any captured fort. When one captures any special building where your enemy can make heroes or champs why shouldn't it possible to make own heroes or champs from that building (For CHAMPs its already possible for some CIVs anyway).

In captured roman army camps it is possible for pike CIVs to make rank 2 pikeman. KUSH actually can produce more units in the camp than the native CIV. :D

So, right now its very diverse.

Other small thing I found:

- In the description of CARTH team bonus still saying -50 % production speed of mercenaries, but it is still just valid for infantry.

- For MAUR Ashoka hero is not that useful anymore, first CIV bonus is the same as the hero bonus. When still choosing him as hero the tech bonus is not given twice while the temple has 1/4 of the native temple cost.

Edited by Nobbi
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nobbi said:

True, but still people can't see the stats of centurions in this way. Could be shown in structure tree as isolated unit at P3 also saying upgrade from rank 3 melee units.

The stats should be visible somewhere. I don't think p3 is the right place though because you can get them earlier.

36 minutes ago, Nobbi said:

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D5109

with this patch, they are upgradeable from all melee infantry: rank 3 swordsmen and spearmen as well as the champion swordsmen. Since the reforms tech unlocks them from the fort, they appear in the tech tree now.

53 minutes ago, Nobbi said:

For balancing and realism I would wish for a more directional splash damage of the ELEs. They can't do damage front and back of them at the same time. I would suggest maximum 1/3 of a circle in front of them.

The current system is that eles' splash is a circle around the attacked unit. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I get the following error when opening:

error:Failed to create a Vulkan winder: Failed Loading vulkan-1.dll: the specified module was not found

error:Unable to create device for Vulkan backend, switching to GL

And yes, I have already checked, all my drivers are up-to-date.

Edited by Vantha

3 hours ago, Vantha said:

And yes, I have already checked, all my drivers are up-to-date.

You need to make sure that your video card supports Vulkan.

Here's a list for NVIDIA: https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver, here's a list for AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/vulkan (scroll to the bottom), here's a list for Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005524/graphics.html.

If you're able to find your video-card there but it doesn't work then you could try to install Vulkan run-time directly: https://vulkan.lunarg.com/sdk/home#windows

On 07/09/2023 at 7:27 PM, vladislavbelov said:

Yeah, download VulkanRT-1.3.261.1-Installer and run it. Were you able to find your card in the supported lists?

Yes, my hardware supports vulkan. Installing Vulkan manually did not solve the issue.

I think the problem lies on my end. I have installed two different versions of 0ad at once (probably not the correct way), by deleting, adding and replacing folders during the installation process. This might have messed things up.

47 minutes ago, Vantha said:

I think the problem lies on my end. I have installed two different versions of 0ad at once (probably not the correct way), by deleting, adding and replacing folders during the installation process. This might have messed things up.

Usually it shouldn't affect Vulkan.

47 minutes ago, Vantha said:

Yes, my hardware supports vulkan. Installing Vulkan manually did not solve the issue.

That's interesting, as workaround you might check that file C:\Windows\System32\vulkan-1.dll exists. And if it does you could copy that file to the 0 A.D. binaries folder (near to pyrogenesis.exe): path/to/0ad/binaries/system/.

On 17/09/2023 at 8:20 PM, vladislavbelov said:

That's strange, because the error literally says it can't find vulkan-1.dll. Make sure that you're running the game (pyrogenesis.exe) from the same directory with vulkan-1.dll.

The error message has changed, now it's: Failed to create a Vulkan window: Installed Vulkan doesn't implement VK_KHR_surface extension

Edited by Vantha

• 4 weeks later...

after I built A27 and executed pyrogenesis I got these two results:

when I placed it in system (debian, pyrogenesis in /usr/games and data in /usr/share/games/0ad and .so files in /usr/lib) it gave me this error:

CreateDirectories: failed to mkdir /usr/data (mode 448)
Function call failed: return value was -110300 (Insufficient access rights to open file)

Call stack:

(0x564f5ee82375) pyrogenesis(+0x673375) [0x564f5ee82375]
(0x564f5ee31d21) pyrogenesis(+0x622d21) [0x564f5ee31d21]
(0x564f5ee337d3) pyrogenesis(+0x6247d3) [0x564f5ee337d3]
(0x564f5ee31f33) pyrogenesis(+0x622f33) [0x564f5ee31f33]
(0x564f5ee44baa) pyrogenesis(+0x635baa) [0x564f5ee44baa]
(0x564f5ee44822) pyrogenesis(+0x635822) [0x564f5ee44822]
(0x564f5ee447c7) pyrogenesis(+0x6357c7) [0x564f5ee447c7]
(0x564f5ee5926e) pyrogenesis(+0x64a26e) [0x564f5ee5926e]
(0x564f5eadb882) pyrogenesis(+0x2cc882) [0x564f5eadb882]
(0x564f5e8c69d2) pyrogenesis(+0xb79d2) [0x564f5e8c69d2]
(0x564f5e8b2688) pyrogenesis(+0xa3688) [0x564f5e8b2688]
(0x7f9dba6e0d0a) /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xea) [0x7f9dba6e0d0a]
(0x564f5e8c3aca) pyrogenesis(+0xb4aca) [0x564f5e8c3aca]

errno = 13 (Insufficient access rights to open file)
OS error = ?

(C)ontinue, (S)uppress, (B)reak, Launch (D)ebugger, or (E)xit?

trying to use -writableRoot always give me error: Skipping file '/home/user/.local/share/0ad' which does not have a mod file extension.

when I run it inside binaries it works fine.

Edited by man_s_our
  • Like 1