Website desperately needs an update

The first impression is very important, and the play0ad.com website is hopelessly outdated and painfully slow. I can't however see the website's source code anywhere, and I think it would be a good idea to let the community help with that because it will not be worse than what it is now.

However, I'm not going to put time and effort into designing and building a website for this open source project if it isn't going to be used.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this idea.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rens Pols said:

The first impression is very important, and the play0ad.com website is hopelessly outdated and painfully slow. I can't however see the website's source code anywhere, and I think it would be a good idea to let the community help with that because it will not be worse than what it is now.

That's because it's a wordpress. But I think the source code is here. https://github.com/0ad/play0ad.com

Unfortunately the person in charge @implodedok doesn't have the time to supervise the creation of a new website currently. A few people have offered in the past, but we never got past proof of concepts.

Thanks for the offer though.

Personally the website looks fine to me. What makes it "outdated" or why do you say it is slow? But I support your desire to contribute and it is a shame if you have good ideas and a willingness to implement them, but are blocked from helping.

Edited by causative

currently the worst "bottleneck" for 0ad is the first impression with the game itself, I remember some data that showed that a huge share of players never go past the first try of the game. It mostly need a good introductory campaign and some more user-friendly content in general, and the community could go 10x like nothing.

1 minute ago, alre said:

currently the worst "bottleneck" for 0ad is the first impression with the game itself, I remember some data that showed that a huge share of players never go past the first try of the game. It mostly need a good introductory campaign and some more user-friendly content in general, and the community could go 10x like nothing.

Indeed.

1 hour ago, causative said:

Personally the website looks fine to me. What makes it "outdated" or why do you say it is slow? But I support your desire to contribute and it is a shame if you have good ideas and a willingness to implement them, but are blocked from helping.

The fact that there are no kushites or hans on the factions page is enough.

Edited by borg-
  • Like 2

I think there are a lot of people that can help develop a website in the community.

we can make use of them but will need proper coordination.

we have to plan every page properly first and advertise the work in different communities.

Edited by leopard