Abstraction mod bundle

Yekaterina

I recommend that you install all 4 of these at the same time. But you can choose to install just one of them to suit your needs. 

Shavedtrees  deals with the colours of trees and fauna

AbstractGUI changes the interface layout and makes adjustments to projectile colour and various details

Bettersound makes alarms and attacks louder

Darkland makes the ground dark instead of green. Basically dark mode for eye protection, especially in arctic map. 

These mods only change the appearance of the game; they do not instantly make you a better player nor do they automate anything at all. However, they do allow you to focus more on your own micro, optimisation and game events instead of being distracted by extravagant eyecandy features. 

shaved_trees.zip darkland.zip abstractGUI.zip betterSound.zip

• Like 3

@Yekaterina @Stan` can we make a mod in which we change every 3d model to sprites, do you think it will help people with low end PCs to play the game without much lag, I am aware that managing what each unit can do and calculations contribute to lag as stan said in one of his comments,
but still will converting 3d models to sprites make any difference? I am only asking this as a mod so that low end pcs can run game as fast as others

I want 0AD to be in 3d as always. 

Edited by leopard
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think non-animated cubes for everything wouid make a very big difference for performance.

I remember proposing this about 2 years ago and I was laughed at. Now it's your turn.

Cubes and cylinders reduce CPU load and also abstracts the resources so that human players can react to the quicker. You can also easily see the distribution instead of being covered up by canopy.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

I remember proposing this about 2 years ago and I was laughed at. Now it's your turn.

Cubes and cylinders reduce CPU load and also abstracts the resources so that human players can react to the quicker. You can also easily see the distribution instead of being covered up by canopy.

It's all fine and good as a fun mod, but then are you playing a Roman-themed game anymore at that point? 

On 26/04/2023 at 1:01 PM, Yekaterina said:

abstractGUI.zip 62 MB · 3 downloads

seems working pretty well together with proGUI mod.
But BTW how to play a single game VS AI ? its only possible play in the Lobby? You want it like so?

• 2 weeks later...

New update: to reduce polygon count, I turned trees and starting berries into cubes. This reduces the number of rendering polygons from dozens to just 6 per tree. OP. 

image.thumb.png.5bdb140d739b9645ce3a8b2950384abf.png

Trees are just a first step. Everything's polygon count must be reduced to minimise lag. It's a balance between being able to identify things and the lowest polygon count possible. Currently working on: reduced mine polygon and unit polygon. Units are harder because I want them to be distinguishable without having too many polygons. Difficult...

Having this shaved tree mod already raised my FPS from 60-70 of vanilla graphics to 92. This is because in many biomes, the trees are over complicated and consume huge amounts of processing as there are so many of them in the view range. 

If I lower unit polygons further, there will be a bigger performance improvement, which is ideal for people with low end PCs and those who complain about lag in 4v4. 

shaved_trees.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

there is the the war-crime discussion ( https://wildfiregames.com/forum/topic/107265-war-crimes-default-settings-in-0ad/ )if we use a OK, goodbye, i go home sound, when women get reduced for going in phase 3 its not so brutal.

and maybe we could also simplify inf units. maybe a sword and the body is only a rectangle or polygon or a sword only, nothing more.

maybe also helps to see what kind of inf is on the field more easily from for far away.

Edited by seeh
  • Like 1