A building that can build other buildings

LetswaveaBook

14 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'm always open to try new features though, so I look forward to a patch. :) 

I was playing around with the idea of a farmstead that could build fields nearby. If fields would be placed this way around farmsteads, that would look more natural and nicer than placing them around CCs.

However I haven't been able to attach the builder template to a building.

Since I do think the axe cav is underdeveloped, I experimented with reducing its required promotional experience to 2 and setting it promotion entity to a (Persian) field. This does not feel like an ideal solution though, even if you set the required xp to 0 (instant development into a field). Though in all seriousness, it could allow the engine to "train" an unit and the result would be a building. However I am afraid it could be used to create overlapping buildings.

image.png.1ff934fbae5b2a13d8c174e5601837d7.png

Edited by LetswaveaBook

28 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:
15 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'm always open to try new features though, so I look forward to a patch. :) 

I was playing around with the idea of a farmstead that could build fields nearby. If fields would be placed this way around farmsteads, that would look more natural and nicer than placing them around CCs.

I agree.

19 hours ago, LetswaveaBook said:

However I haven't been able to attach the builder template to a building.

As is tradition, Delenda Est already has this cool feature. :) 

https://github.com/JustusAvramenko/delenda_est/blob/master/simulation/templates/template_structure_economic_farmstead.xml#L13

And it works pretty nicely. Try it on the Miletus Peninsula skirmish map in the mod, since there's a nice free Farmstead nearby you can capture or the new Isthmus of Corinth skirmish map, which also has 2 nearby capturable Farmsteads. 

As an aside, the mod makes a distinction now between Granaries and Farmsteads. Granaries are built by the player, while Farmsteads are gaia objects you capture to get the Farmland aura. But of course "under the hood" "Granaries" still use the Farmstead nomenclature to not screw up the AI.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2023 at 8:31 PM, LetswaveaBook said:

I was playing around with the idea of a farmstead that could build fields nearby.

On 18/04/2023 at 3:49 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

As is tradition, Delenda Est already has this cool feature. :) 

You pulled a prank on me. Delanda Est does not have that cool feature. Farmsteads in Delenda Est can't build fields. Fields build itself ;P

image.png.5c24ab5c6bd1ecc733b53398d71b5771.png

I haven't found any code yet to make buildings construct other buildings.

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Then I guess I don't know what you want. The effect remains the same.

Should be placing foundations as well.

@LetswaveaBook, there quite a few aspects you haven't clearly outlined, like how are placements triggered, how are resource cost handled, outlaying algorithm etc. Anyway I don't see a way to abuse current mechanics to do what you want, so you will inevitably have to write some code. If you limit yourself to the special case of placing farms around a farmstead this doesn't seem all to difficult tho.

1 hour ago, LetswaveaBook said:

The difference is that if a unit has 10 foundations around it, then it can build only one at a time. If a farmstead has 10 autobuilding fields around it, then all of them get constructed at the same time.

So you want the fields to only spawn one at a time?

Does the field placement happen automatically or does it require player input?

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone