Graphic Enhancement?

Phalanx

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Manual_Settings is where to find that information. And lion, please don't post just to say that you will post later (it just means that one will have to look at the topic an extra time, without getting any new information). If you don't have the ability to reply fully, then it's better to wait until you have :)

• Like 2

To piggyback.

Make sure to add these to your local.cfg in order to get the most graphic bang.

gentangents=truematerialmgr.quality=10

If you have a graphic card (instead of integrated), it should be able handle this. In-game options do not enable ambient occlusion. Must use local.cfg like this.

where do you find local.cfg? Do I have to create it as a copy of default.cfg?

Edited by SeleucidKing

Yes, local.cfg doesn't exist unless you create it.

My computer won't let me paste a copy of default.cfg. It doesn't bring up a message, it just won't let me. Is there another way to create it? It claims it is "read only files"

Edited by SeleucidKing

Do I have to turn on the expirimental "use at your own risk" thing to get this lighting quality? Or is that just the map?

Yes.

gentangents=true
materialmgr.quality=10
There is no danger that I know of. Comment in code is extra cautious. Other will know more.
Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

Since this is a common request I'd like to enable by default more gfx effects on newer cards in alpha20. Specifically, GLSL when using an OpenGL 3+ cards (see here the ticket with patch), and everything on OpenGL 4+ cards.

This will need testers to make sure there are no problems on some cards.

• Like 2

If you are using SVN (will be in alpha 20), GLSL should now be enabled by default when using a graphic card supporting OpenGL 3+ (cards released in latest 8 years should support it) (r17338). Practically this should, for example, enable windy trees by default (still not advanced graphics effects). This is only effective if you remove any reference to preferglsl in your config files, otherwise the setting in the config files has the precedence.

Also if you didn't properly install graphics driver, you'll now get a warning (r17339).

And finally settings gentangents=true is no longer needed (you can remove any reference to gentangents in your config files) (r17325).

Please test and report any possible problem!

• Like 2

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/TortoiseSVN_Guide offers an explanation (as well as tells you how to get it, if you are on Windows you don't even have to compile the code into an application yourself as there is a .exe that is updated regularly, so you just have double-click on that to run the game :) ), but in short it's the development version of the game :) Most of the time it's at least as stable as the released versions, but sometimes it can of course not be when new things are added. If you want to work on the game, whether for the main game or modding, it's recommended that you use the SVN version as it's a lot more convenient.

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up, since r17412 postproc, smoothlos and all water features are also enabled when using a OpenGL4+ compatible card (cards released in latest 4 years should support it). This is only effective if you remove any reference to these settings in your config files, otherwise the settings there have a higher priority. These will also be effective on next autobuild, you may get some warnings until that. After the autobuild please test and report any possible problems.

Still missing is enabling materialmgr.quality to 10.0 but this should be done after having a GUI option to let users disable it (ticket #2596).

• Like 3