Auras, Technologies, and lag.

@wraitii I was told you are the expert on this.  How would you rank the various auras and technologies in terms of performance cost?  Are there any other general "best practices" for modders to maintain good performance? 

Auras: range, player, global, formation, garrison, garrisonedUnits.

Technologies

Thank you

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Philip the Swaggerless said:

@wraitii I was told you are the expert on this.  How would you rank the various auras and technologies in terms of performance cost?  Are there any other general "best practices" for modders to maintain good performance? 

Auras: range, player, global, formation, garrison, garrisonedUnits.

Technologies

Thank you

@vladislavbelov and @Freagarach might have information as well.

• Like 1

Global auras and technologies are the same tech and the fastest. Auras pay a small penalty from being tied to in-game entities, but I think it's negligible compared to the cost of the modifier. Player auras are just techs I think?

Single-Entity-only modifiers are about as fast so long as you only consider one entity, but you pay the cost for every entity.

Garrisoned auras is probably slightly slower but kind of negligible.

--

Ranged auras are much slower than all of the above, for we need to compute every turn what has possibly changed. They also add single-entity-modifiers, so you pay the cost of those on top of the raw aura calculation.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...