Urban Planning

1 hour ago, alre said:

the ancients built their cities in no way similar to how it's done in the game. they would have fields before the agorà, for instance. it's not about how the ancients would actually build cities.

I'd say if this was a "advancing through the ages" game, then you'd be right. If you were building a city from the Greek Dark Age up through the Hellenistic Age, then it would make sense that you'd start out building farms near the town center, but the game isn't that. You're building a city/colony from the start at your culture's height in 0 A.D.

2 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

What is more peculiar to me is that we build markets and blacksmiths at the edge of our territory to make it bigger.

Yeah, the territory pushing dynamic just so you can place a storehouse next to a clump of trees feels pretty odd. I saw Vali do it in one of his videos, using a string of houses at the edge of his territory to get a storehouse to some trees. Strange gameplay dynamic.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yeah, the territory pushing dynamic just so you can place a storehouse next to a clump of trees feels pretty odd. I saw Vali do it in one of his videos, using a string of houses at the edge of his territory to get a storehouse to some trees. Strange gameplay dynamic.

Now I understand why you need to get Alexander the great. He makes it easier to gets such a string of houses.

Farms around cc and house around farms is the safest and most efficient layout. In a cavalry rush you can get your women to safety the fastest and enemies would like to stay away from the cc because it shoots arrows. Ancient Greeks didn't do this but they didn't get cav rushed so often neither

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

Farms around cc and house around farms is the safest and most efficient layout. In a cavalry rush you can get your women to safety the fastest and enemies would like to stay away from the cc because it shoots arrows. Ancient Greeks didn't do this but they didn't get cav rushed so often neither

well they did have some form of walling around all their settlements. it's just that fields weren't usually included.

• Like 1