Audio Design 5 - Voice List

Yes, you can promote your political party, if you don't mind to be blocked. Your favourite political party can't be punished for your actions.

Of course it can. It lowers the reputation of the organization to have 'henchmen' running around doing its dirty work.

@sanderd17: Let's not stick to Wikipedia only. There are other sites and networks where we can get the help needed for translations, pronounciation and recording. Like zoot points it, Wikipedia is probably not the place for that. The search I exposed on #78 was a first step, where Wikipedia have been very helpful indeed, but now next step requires a contact with a community of teachers maybe ?.. For instance, searching Youtube for videos of people speaking the languages needed would be a good thing, and we can contact those people to invite them to help us. What do you think about that ?

We would need someone with good linguistic knowledge first and foremost :) There's no point in having recordings done if they are later found to be incorrect. Remember that it would be a lot of work overall if we were to use Basque as we would need to have Basque names for all buildings/units as well.

(Personally I would have preferred if we had went for English voices for all units as it's almost impossible to get good results in all different languages, but ah well :) )

or Modern Languages (Spanish, French,Etc), i have good tools, and me and some Actors can make voices, i studing a degree about Multimedia Audio/Video/Graphic Design. i know about recording voices parameters.

some time ago i recording some voices.

http://www.wildfireg...in&fromsearch=1

i was post some previews.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 1 month later...

Do you need a Welsh speaker?

rydw i gallu siarad cymraeg

Mind you my spelling in Welsh is slightly off and I don't know everything, but I can pronounce it perfectly and have little trouble pronouncing words I don't know (I'm currently improving on my Welsh in college)

• Like 1

Persians :

Persian language page on Wikipedia

The Persian language era that fits most is the Middle Persian (300BC-800AD) but it may be too old to know how to speak it. The New Persian, precisely the Western Persian (or "Farsi") seems to fit. We can learn Farsi with Neda (from Iran) ! :)

-So for Persians the language can be Farsi

Actually for part one, Ancient Persian fits the most. And Middle Persian is still spoken in some central cities by some of the Zoroasterian minority here. But There are enough known Ancient Persian words for most of the simple dialogs we need in the game. Still, I can help with all of the three languages.

• Like 2

Hello, I just discoverd the game on sourceforge and honestly I didn't even knew about it. I want to get involved in the audio design, more specific I can help you with the Dacian lines. Some of them are wrong, I know because my nationality has dacian roots. I got a good english pronunciation too if you need it anymore.

• Like 1

Actually for part one, Ancient Persian fits the most. And Middle Persian is still spoken in some central cities by some of the Zoroasterian minority here. But There are enough known Ancient Persian words for most of the simple dialogs we need in the game. Still, I can help with all of the three languages.

@Spahbod : Oh, cool, so you can translate the needed words in Ancient Persian ? Feel free to do, and when done, we can talk about a recording of the voice.

Hello, I just discoverd the game on sourceforge and honestly I didn't even knew about it. I want to get involved in the audio design, more specific I can help you with the Dacian lines. Some of them are wrong, I know because my nationality has dacian roots. I got a good english pronunciation too if you need it anymore.

@aaronlockhart : Welcome to 0 A.D.'s forum ! Thanks for your offer on the Dacian language. I'm not sure to understand... Is Dacian the language used in the game ? I just know it as "ancient greek" :)

Well, why not correct it as you suggest. Anyway, what we are most looking for in term of languages now are those of the other civilisations that I listed here.

To say short :

-Mauryans : Sanskrit or Prakrit

-Celts : Welsh

-Carthaginians : Hebrew

-Persians : Farsi or Ancient Persian

-Iberians : Basque

-Romans : Latin

In the first page of this thread, which is from 2003 you included the Dacians. Dacians were a civilisation established north of greek, they were conquerd by latins in year 103. They were speaking a language close to latin, that language evolved in Romanian today, with some slavic influences. I don't think Dacians are implemented anymore, but if you do need some lines, I'm glad to help Here's a map of dacia.

Edited by aaronlockhart

In the first page of this thread, which is from 2003 you included the Dacians. Dacians were a civilisation established north of greek, they were conquerd by latins in year 103. They were speaking a language close to latin, that language evolved in Romanian today, with some slavic influences. I don't think Dacians are implemented anymore, but if you do need some lines, I'm glad to help Here's a map of dacia.

Dacian its for Second Part,

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I just noticed this game while researching primary sources/artifacts for Mauryan arms and armour. I downloaded the game and was having fun playing it, but noticed it needed voice-mods for most of the civilizations. Well, I'm here, and I'd like to contribute a male voicemod in Pali for the Mauryan empire. I'm an Indian-American, and I still have a little bit of an Indian accent, especially when I try to bring it out. I was never good at rolling an 'r' though, but I can manage to do it with difficulty.

Iberians :

Here's the Wikipedia page for the Iberian language where we learn that the present Basque language is considered by some as close to the Iberian one, "but they have not been clearly demonstrated to the satisfaction of modern scholarship."

We also learn that : "The Iberian language, like all the other Paleohispanic languages except Basque, became extinct by the 1st to 2nd centuries AD, after being gradually replaced by Latin."

In lack of data, Greek (already used in the game) could stay for the Iberian, but maybe we could try Basque (it is currently spoken in the south-west of France).

-For Iberians, let's try Basque

It's currently spoken in the north of Spain, Basc Country, far away more than the South-West of France. It's pretty alive.

ç

The song is in basque country

Edited by av93

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone, I finally did Sanskrit translations for the first few phrases for the Mauryans. As I was not sure how to edit Sanskrit texts here, I uploaded a pdf here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/166937114/Sanskrit-Translation-for-0AD.

Ummonk, I will contact you when I start with the recordings.

To the people in charge of the voice recordings, what are the quality requirements in terms of bitrate, compression standard (mp3, ogg or some other lossless format)?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I could get old Irish and probably Basque through my contacts. I noticed we have Britons, Gauls and Celts. We could use ancient Welsh for the Britons, Old Irish for the Celts and maybe Breton for the Gauls? Breton is not the Celtic language that was originally spoken in France, but we don't have enough written records to reconstruct the language.

Sorry those aren't too clear.

My friend needs a bit of string clarification for a proper translation:

I will go out against - against what, the enemy?

I will march - to and fro, or against the enemy?

When these two are answered, we will have proto-Basque :)

I will go out against - I'm on my way

I will march - to and fro

Feel free to rephrase them both - it doesn't have to be a direct translation of 'I will march' - It should be whatever would have been said at the time in that language :)