Who Plans To Go To College?

Since it's my 16th birthday, I decided to make a poll dedicated to the future. Or to be more specificlly, college. What are you people's plans for college or whatever your equivelent for it is? Are you doing all it takes to get there? Do you feel it's unneccessary? Have you already graduated and now successful in Real Life?

I'm just getting my mail from colleges (only a sophomore, but I'm still thinking ahead).

I've gotten stuff (not the bulk, the individually sent out stuff) from U of Chicago and Yale. Boy going to Yale would be great. Oh and Cal Tech.

I want to major in chemical engineering, get a masters in business administration. Possibly something with music as a minor, but only time will tell... :)

;)

There is no such thing as College in France (collège is for students from 11 to 15) ... we call it University ... as easy as that :)

I graduated in Biology and I also graduated in English ... just changed my career ;)

my goal in life has always been to become a teacher ... and in France, without a degree, you cannot be a teacher (probably the same in other countries ...).

But going to University doesn't mean you have to give up all your other activities or hobbies!

I definately go to a university (that's how it's called here in The Netherlands). Like Ingold, I first (when I was like younger than ten)wanted to study paleontology, basically because I was into dinosaurs and stuff. I later on changed it when I first got biology. I hated it ;). Just not my subject.

Then I thought about laws and stuff. It didn't really tempt me, but I didn't know what else to do.

However more than a year ago, I joined a phylosophy class (not a real one, but for "newcomers"). I enjoyed it. So that's my final choise now. I'll start next year (september) and I'm really looking forward to it :).

yup black op, I think 'colleges' are generally smaller, and 'universities' are the big ones that offer many different programs. There are sooo many colleges in the US its hard to chose... and only 1 that I'm looking at is in-state (The Ohio State University) ;) but lucky me I get $20 grand off a year at Syracuse (if I go there) because of the tuition exchange program :)

Maybe a point of interest for you: here (talking about The Netherlands, and maybe Europe too) it doesn't really matter from which university one comes, but more that you made it trough.

From what I understand about the USA, is that there are many different colleges and that the quality between them differs much.

And then there is the payment issue too, because here we get money from the government (not much though, and I hope it won't grow even less :)). Don't know exactly how this is in the USA, but I think it's more expensive there.

:)

Well, as for France, no matter what University you go to. The curricula are just the same. If you spend a year in Paris and the following year in Marseille, it does not matter ... We have standard diplomas. As for me, I took my first 2 years in Bordeaux and my last 2 years in Toulouse. My diploma (Master) is valid wherever I go in France, and even in Europe.

As for payment, officially, education is free in France. Yet, many Universities here have you pay an entrance fee, mainly for administrative reasons, but it is nearly nothing ... around US$100 (€90). That is great for students who do no have much money.

As for Great Britain, Tony Blair has introduced a new system, which will make students pay a lot just for their tuition fees. I do not think it favours access to education. Research and Higher Education is a national matter, not just a problem for 5% of the population. Graduates will be profitable to the country and thus should be helped by the whole country.

Well in California or Ca. (which may not be totally representivite of the US), we have various levels of colleges. We have from lowest-to-highest community colleges (where you go if you can't get into a good college at first), the Ca. State University system, then the University of Ca. system. Private colleges also exist like USC and I'm not sure how you classify Stanford (basically kinda like a West Coast Havard). All have different requirements for enrollment as well as curricula.

Kinda a mess for your Euros, don't you think. :)