Help needed

Hi all you experts,

since a few days i started learning the use of Blender to create models. For that i'm downloading several 3D-Models and tried to make actors for the game. In Blender i import the *.fbx, *.obj or *.dae files and export them as *.dae. There are game-ready models or models with according UV-Maps and so on. For some created actors there is no need of uv-maps, so they became the <material>objectcolor<material>, others with "spec", "AO" or "norm" Maps became the other available materials.

In only the half i got a more or less acceptable result:

grafik.thumb.png.64971a183a0caf669a2c18542fd3f83e.png

In most cases, i got the error:

grafik.thumb.png.7d5e6ab70cec5d6fdafa0a12ae2cbef3.png

I've followed

and search the www for help.

So, concret a simple example:

grafik.thumb.png.7d4a5005c49f8cd0d732ff971c4d0533.png

files: cottage.zip

All tries on my side resulting in the error above :( ... Sometimes, when deleting the materials, i got the actor working, but then without textures.

Please can you describe in a few steps, what i'm making wrong? I'm sure, it is only a little thing for you ...

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

grafik.png

1 minute ago, Angen said:

hi, 

make sure that all vertexes are connected, there cannot be the standalone vertexes.

also whole model needs to be one object. 

faces needs to be triangles, so or triangulate when exporting or use triangles directly. 

Hi,

thank you for the quick reply. All the things you say, i've done dozen times. Please, can you take a look at the files i've added? Please, just import the "cottage.obj" into blender, export as *.dae and attach the *.dae temporarly to an simple actor of the Main-Game and try to show him in Atlas. Thank's again in advance for your efforts.

Well you need to delete the materials. And if they somehow use different textures you have to either

Merge all the textures into one and tweak the uvs.

Select your model go to edit mode press P and select split by material then export every different pieces one by one.

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Well you need to delete the materials. And if they somehow use different textures you have to either

Merge all the textures into one and tweak the uvs.

Select your model go to edit mode press P and select split by material then export every different pieces one by one.

Do you mean, export every piece as *.dae?

grafik.thumb.png.d8f44d31ad35986e90ac157942af0952.png

Edited by Mr.lie

Hi experts,

another problem:

i seperate the model by materials, export each as *.dae and create related actors. All textures doesn't match the models. There are for each actor base, norm and spec maps.

Can you tell me what's going wrong?

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

grafik.thumb.png.4fe5a9f251ca5cb886943214ef6e09c8.png

23 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I need to see the uvmap to tell you. From what I can see it's because it's going out of bounds and 0 A.D. doesn't support tiling.

I'm not sure whether or not you mean this:

Ich habe die *.fbx datei dieses Models in blender importiert, dann nach Material getrennt. Ist dies die UV-Map die Du meinst? Ich habe auf dem Bild alles markiert und nicht die einzelnen Objecte.

grafik.thumb.png.2ffd4b93be8bb69ca74ee6037852f317.png

3 hours ago, Mr.lie said:

I'm not sure whether or not you mean this:

Ich habe die *.fbx datei dieses Models in blender importiert, dann nach Material getrennt. Ist dies die UV-Map die Du meinst? Ich habe auf dem Bild alles markiert und nicht die einzelnen Objecte.

grafik.thumb.png.2ffd4b93be8bb69ca74ee6037852f317.png

The UV need to be inside of that square.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Angen said:

I believe he means that grid on the left where you have the uv map. The UV map, needs to fit the grid.

Yeah, ithink so, but how to fit the UV map to the grid?

This is what i doesn't understand. On the following example the Model is correct painted, but the UV map is totally out of the grid. it seems to me that this is and scaling problem or some other wrong setting.

grafik.thumb.png.c8ed9669b75d317188fd436eb05b9154.png

Well to fit it in that square, you need to split the model's faces and separate them, so that everything fits. The process is called UV Unwrapping. Another solution would be to bake the texture on a different UV texture, but it's a bit tricky to explain here. (As in writing the tutorial might take some time I do not have right now)

• Thanks 1