Work on Roman buildings.

SlavKing

Since we are on the topic of Romans.

I am not really sure why, but the Roman buildings seems kinda dull *compared* to some other civilizations in my opinion. It’s not the models themselves. Just the textures. Might be the coloring. I prefer brighter colors like in the new Spartan buildings.

4 hours ago, SlavKing said:

Hello,

I'm interested in the Romans. Is there anything you'd like to get done first? Buildings in particular. 

Can you tell us a bit more about yourself ? In a different thread. Do you have examples of your work :)

You can try to improve existing buildings, (better uvmap) more details etc or as Lion said work on the mod Delenda Est to improve their Roman faction.

40 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

I am not really sure why, but the Roman buildings seems kinda dull *compared* to some other civilizations in my opinion. It’s not the models themselves. Just the textures. Might be the coloring. I prefer brighter colors like in the new Spartan buildings.

I guess a few things are responsible for this. First textures are old, and of a different style as you mentioned. LordGood always make his textures more vibrant and a little more cartoony which has to do with the way he makes them :) Enrique's style was different more constrast and generally more realism. So I can see why they would stick out. I'm learning to make new improved textures with Substance so it might be a while before I have work in game but I'm working on it. The biggest advantage those textures will have is that they'll be modular and adaptable.

• Like 1

Seems like it is partly due to that. Some minor edits to the textures gave a surprisingly different look. (It's not that significant to provide the edited textures. Just putting the screenshots out here.)

Spoiler

screenshot0119.thumb.png.662997a896eb0116b1208d7e8753cb43.png

screenshot0118.thumb.png.7ed1ce79950b9d456e5d1d20a86b0456.png

Anyway, offtopic. Let's keep this thread clean.

Edited by Guest

15 hours ago, (-_-) said:

Seems like it is partly due to that. Some minor edits to the textures gave a surprisingly different look. (It's not that significant to provide the edited textures. Just putting the screenshots out here.)

Hide contents

screenshot0119.thumb.png.662997a896eb0116b1208d7e8753cb43.png

screenshot0118.thumb.png.7ed1ce79950b9d456e5d1d20a86b0456.png

Anyway, offtopic. Let's keep this thread clean.

No please god.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

You said in DE sub forum, about our current CC isn't appropriated for CC. which you suggest? Im' very curious about this.

The current Roman CC is fine. But if you made the CCs upgrade in appearance for town and city phase, then the current CC would definitely be city phase.

• Like 1

Comitium(?)

Spoiler
Imagen relacionada
image.png.d393aa8723b5b1a26b4efb5bc6438d72.png

Resultado de imagen para comitium

The building was destroyed in 52 BC after the makeshift funeral fire for Publius Clodius Pulcher ignited the structure, burning it to the ground. It was replaced with the Curia Cornelia, located in almost the same space. This structure was in turn replaced by the Curia Julia started by Julius Caesar and finished by Emperor August

we can try looking what using the provinces in republic 300-165 BC.
especial cities funded by Rome or developed by Rome.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:
we can try looking what using the provinces in republic 300-165 BC. 
especial cities funded by Rome or developed by Rome. 

It is why I posted this link because I think they have a lot of 3D model picture for different period (it is not eyecandy but kinda useful I think):
http://www.digitales-forum-romanum.de/gebaeudeliste/?lang=en#spaete-republik-i

Edit: I will try to look for information in other Roman cities

Edited by Genava55

Changed a little bit the topic.

this our current inspiration.

Resultado de imagen para curia hostilia
With textures we should go for more props or add some aesthetic similar to CineCittá.
File:Set of HBO’s “Rome” at Cinecittà, Rome (20623841382).jpg

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1fd477bf01c267ff8519223db4c97ae6.png

image.thumb.png.a390212e499553cd7e2994d255463e2c.png

In the last phase we can add more props,banners, plants, flowers, more textures, marble, gold, bronze etc.

1 minute ago, Genava55 said:

It is why I posted this link because I think they have a lot of 3D model picture for different period (it is not eyecandy but kinda useful I think):
http://www.digitales-forum-romanum.de/gebaeudeliste/?lang=en#spaete-republik-i

Yes I reforced the info. but there is only Rome or there are more Cities.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 6 months later...
Spoiler

Resultado de imagen para forum grand ages rome.

with the CC you use some objects from Grand Ages Rome's Forum , you only need add the Curia building and some ornaments.  

Spoiler

Resultado de imagen para curia roman republic rome

the seats of original Comitium. was some kind  

Resultado de imagen para comitium

The Republican Comitium

At some time between 300 BCE and 250 BCE the Comitium is completely restructured (indicated in blue on the map above). It was probably a result of exposure to Greek culture, that the Romans met in S. Italy and in Sicily during the First Punic War.

Ekklesiastéria in Paestum
Ekklesiastéria in Paestum

Both the Comitium and the Curia Hostilia were enlarged and the Comitium changed shape. The new Comitium was modelled after the ekklesiastéria found in Greek cities where it served a similar purpose. The new structure was circular, with internal steps all the way around a lowered central space. The participants of the meetings could be seated there while listening to speakers located either in the central space or on the Rostra, which still took up a part of the S. side. Also the Graecostasis remained in the same location just W. of the Rostra.

The Comitium maintained this form and size until the first century BCE.

The enlarged Curia Hostilia occupied almost all of the space now taken up by the Church of SS. Luca and Martina just behind the still existing Curia Julia. A piece of mosaic found under the church could be from the floor of the Curia Hostilia.

Sulla and the Curia Cornelia

During the century of civil wars that led to the end of the Roman Republic, L. Cornelius Sulla enlarged the senate from 300 to 600 members. The old senate building was too small to accommodate the increased number of senators and in c. 80 BCE Sulla had the Curia enlarged. This larger building is at times called both Curia Hostilia and Curia Cornelia, but it was basically a new building (shown in yellow on the map).

In the process the Greek style Comitium was demolished, as the new Curia Cornelia was moved forward compared to the old building. The Rostra and the Graecostasis were preserved, but the spaces used for tribunals in the Comitium were lost and the tribunals moved elsewhere. The area of the Comitium was paved with black slabs of stone.

In 52 BCE the Curia was burned down during the funeral of P. Clodius Pulcher who had been murdered. It was rebuilt shortly after by Faustus Sulla, a descendant of L. Cornelius Sulla.

http://sights.seindal.dk/sight/158_Comitium.html

comitium.png

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

using translator.

https://books.openedition.org/efr/1625

@Genava55 can you help with French translation.

The new chronology proposed by F. Coarelli to date the fifth phase of the Comitium faces another obstacle: several colonies founded by Rome from the end of the first century onwards have a comitium with a circular cavea. As these colonies were conceived as miniature reproductions of their metropolis, the circular shape of the tiers of their comitia could only be an imitation of the one that must already have existed in Rome48. The similarities between Rome's urban model and that of its colonies are not limited only to the form of the comitium: in Cosa and Paestum, a semi-detached building built with large blocks of stone in opus quadratum was found, which can only be carcer (thus confirming the close connection between the comitium and the carcer);49 in Paestum and Alba Fucens, the statue of Marsyas was found, which was one of the decorative and symbolic elements of the Comitium of the Roman Forum (pl. IX and pl. X, a, b and c)50; in all cases, a building adjacent to the comitium and slightly elevated constitutes the central axis and represents the curia, exactly as the Hostilia curia in Rome (fig. 11 and 12)51. It therefore seems impossible, contrary to what has been argued by some, that the Hellenic model of the circular form could have reached Rome through its colonies52. In other words, the dates of construction of the circular comitia in the colonies constitute an essential ante quem terminus for the fifth phase of the Roman Comitium and the adoption of the circular form of this monument. However, archaeology now makes it possible to better date the construction of comitia in these colonies.

53 F. Coarelli, "Fregellae", in Enciclopedia dell'arte antica classica e orientale, Secondo Suppleme (...)
54 Thus F. Coarelli, Il Foro Romano, II, p. 20 and n. 36 (whose reasoning thus contradicts (...)
55 See E. Greco and D. Theodorescu, "Poseidonia-Paestum. An example of urban integration in the Middle Ages (...)
17The colonies for which the existence of a circular comitium is attested are Cosa (founded in 273), Paestum (in 273), Alba Fucens (in 303), and Frégelles (in 328). In each case, it is a comitium with circular tiers inscribed in a quadrangular structure, the axis of which is represented by an adjacent building that is interpreted as the curia (Figs. 11 and 12). Certainly, the circular form is not necessarily contemporary with the deduction of the colony, as is the case at Frégelles where the circular comitium would in fact date from the first century BC.C. and would perhaps cover the previous structures of a quadrangular comitium53: however, if its first comitium dated from the foundation of the colony, this could mean that in 328 the circular form did not yet exist in Rome (which would constitute a new post quem terminus for the fifth phase of the Comitium). But in the other three cases, the excavations did not reveal the existence of any previous state: the circular comitia were the only ones built in these settlements, and everything suggests that they were built at the very moment of the foundation of the colony, or immediately afterwards54. For if the comitium did indeed perform, in these colonies as in Rome, a symbolic function of representing power, but also as the "centre" of the political space of the city, it seems difficult to believe that it could have been built long after the date of their foundation: the construction of a monumental ensemble Curie-Comitium could even have been expressly prescribed by the Senate when a colony was deducted55.

The two latest examples, Paestum and Cosa, date back to 273 and are therefore 10 years before the introduction in Rome of the Catania sundial by M'. Valerius Messala: 263 can therefore very hardly be a post quem terminus for the adoption of the circular form of the Comitium on the Roman Forum. However, archaeological discoveries and stratigraphic studies have recently shown that the former ecclesiasterion of Poseidonia was destroyed when the Latin colony was deducted in 273, and that a comitium, modelled on that of Rome, was immediately built 56. Similarly, a recent review of the archaeological material discovered during the excavations of Alba Fucens has established that the comitium was built there in the first years following the deduction of this colony at the very end of the 15th century 57. Here again, the circular comitium could only follow the model of the one that was then to exist in Rome.