Taxes

LordGood

The non-linear campaign mode in BFME1 and BFME2 was awesome. It even supported multiplayer in BFME2. Really hope we get something like that someday. The resources in the campaign mode (and regular skirmish games) came from farms, which served the dual role of population and resource generation. Not sure how that portion would work in 0AD.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhiteTreePaladin said:

The non-linear campaign mode in BFME1 and BFME2 was awesome. It even supported multiplayer in BFME2. Really hope we get something like that someday. The resources in the campaign mode (and regular skirmish games) came from farms, which served the dual role of population and resource generation. Not sure how that portion would work in 0AD.

Can have trade cart between cities on the campaign map to generate resource. Also, different province can have mines and other resource generators, meaning different provinces are good to capture for different reasons.

In my mod I designed persians to be the tax-type civ. Their storehouses give a slow trickle of all resources. I designed that mechanic because the definition text described how they were historically used for taxes.

<History>The Persian kings kept the huge annual tribute received by their subject nations in specific buildings in Persepolis and Susa. In the provinces, the satraps were responsible for the establishment of similar foundations, where local taxes and public funds were kept.</History>
     <Tooltip>Special: Store for taxes. Gain a slow trickle of all resources.</Tooltip>

See more in here:

4 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Can have trade cart between cities on the campaign map to generate resource. Also, different province can have mines and other resource generators, meaning different provinces are good to capture for different reasons.

Also designed cart in my mod to be a trade-based civ, they go around the concept of the market. The majority of the carthage army were composed by mercenaries.

• Carthage doesn't have barracks. Mercenary citizens and elephant champions spawn in markets.
  • Mercenary citizens cost only metal. CC can't recruit citizens.
  • Markets in age 1. Can recruit slaves with limited lifespan but mining and build bonus.

If you like this mechanic, I suggest you check it out:

12 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

With have taxes in the game 

That still a pretty big and vague thing to say though, I mean it could mean anything from a special ability/tech for a civ, to something applied to one or more buildings, to something depending on territory, to something else I guess. I personally don't have much of an opinion for or against either of them, though I'd say I*d prefer something linked to e.g. houses or some specific building over something more general/tied to territory. That way you would have to spend something for each increase in income, and for that matter can be more strategic about e.g. where you build your houses. If it's just territory it feels as if players would be encouraged to spend a lot of time putting their buildings just the right distance from each other so they'd get the maximum territory. And that doesn't sound interesting at all, having a reason to careful with the houses, and value them more, could certainly be interesting though :)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I think there has to be some kind of physical actor involved in tax collection.  Either a building (temple?) that collects taxes from houses within its aura, or a special unit (tax collector) who visits the houses to collect their taxes.  This means you cannot just plonk houses anywhere and claim taxes, you must build infrastructure to collect taxes.  Having physical infrastructure also gives your enemies a point to attack; your taxation infrastructure can be dismantled without having to demolish every single house.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2016 at 10:04 AM, LordGood said:

I feel like this thread is getting more complicated than it needs to be. My simplest point would be a metal trickle from each house. An innate trickle that maybe can be increased with technology, and that's about it. 

In DE, has tech called "Tax Collectors" at the market building. Gives trickle of Food, Wood, Stone, and Metal resource for each market. Adds up over time. In the house, there is also tech called "Ancestor Worship" that give very small trickle of Glory resource for each house.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

On 25/11/2016 at 4:49 PM, feneur said:

That still a pretty big and vague thing to say though, I mean it could mean anything from a special ability/tech for a civ, to something applied to one or more buildings, to something depending on territory, to something else I guess. I personally don't have much of an opinion for or against either of them, though I'd say I*d prefer something linked to e.g. houses or some specific building over something more general/tied to territory. That way you would have to spend something for each increase in income, and for that matter can be more strategic about e.g. where you build your houses. If it's just territory it feels as if players would be encouraged to spend a lot of time putting their buildings just the right distance from each other so they'd get the maximum territory. And that doesn't sound interesting at all, having a reason to careful with the houses, and value them more, could certainly be interesting though :)

Taxes can work like relics and temples in AoK, generating metal per second and adding the houses taxes.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen