The Council of Modders

Romulus

Oh okay, I remember Sanderd said something about improving it so was just wondering.

Well to assign tasks best way would be to list what to do like

Programming

- Create...

- Rewrite

-Optimize

Art 3D

- Building 1

-Unit 1

Art 2D

- Icon 1

Sound

etc...

Oh okay, I remember Sanderd said something about improving it so was just wondering.

Making a mod isn't that hard (or shouldn't be, if you have other questions, you can always ask them). But spreading is harder, it requires users to find your mod, download it, and extract in the right place. After that, 0 A.D. needs to be launched with the right cli option.

This process could be made easier. As easy as an in game download and use button. When mods get more exposure, more people will install them, and more will start to mod.

• Like 1

Yes just like that.

Could you make it straight, rather that slanted? I can make it fit under my current signature, and other members might too.

Also put the date.

Est 16/02/14

@Romulus

I could do that, but it would lose some of the "3Dness" with the beveled edges.

Where would the date go? the lower right hand corner?

@sanderd17

What I think we need is just one "official" mod "pack" that we could have an installer for, at least to begin with since it would be easier to make instead of a "downloader"

When we do have it put together, I can make a site for it on my web server.

BTW: any thoughts on getting a domain name? 0adcom.com (0 A. D. Council of Modders) is available, as is councilofmodders.com, and so is 0ad.technology if we really wanted it.

@niektb

do you want purple curtains behind it too :)?

Edited by thamlett

@Romulus

I could do that, but it would lose some of the "3Dness" with the beveled edges.

Where would the date go? the lower right hand corner?

That's fine, its just so it can fit under my current signature.

Bottom right hand will do for the date. Also this date should be on all 0ADCoM signatures.

For the domain name, this can be attended to later. That at this stage is a minor issue.

@niektb

Rofl

BTW: any thoughts on getting a domain name? 0adcom.com (0 A. D. Council of Modders) is available, as is councilofmodders.com, and so is 0ad.technology if we really wanted it.

@niektb

.com domain is paid isn't it? Plus a page on moddb and such sites would be enough I suppose.

I don't need purple curtains. :)

@niektb

i wouldn't really mind paying for it myself, i just wanted some opinions on which domain name

and i will try the different effects on the signature when i get back to my main computer (i'm doing some volunteer sysadmin work right now in another part of the city)

@Romulus

if you just need it to fit under your current signature, then why don't i just create a separate special one for you?

i'll also work on the date when i get back home

@thamlett

You can make a special one, no problem. its just for those that want to keep their current sigs, without increasing the space below.

If we ever do use a dedicated site, I would opt for an .org site.

I can also do most of the developing, designing, and administrative part for it too.

But for now, let's first get established, and if we find this forum inadequate for our endeavours, where that be because of space, usability, featureless, or anything which we as a council feel to be hindering, then we can seek to host a site for our work. But as it stands I feel quite at home here on the forum, so I don't see a need to migrate.

#Point 22

And like niektb pointed out, we can host a page on moddb etc in the early stages of our establishment which should be enough. Because the only time we would need these sites, or a dedicated site, is if we have downloadable content to offer (i.e. Mods), and we don't. We not even in developing phase set.

But myself the rest of this council truly honours such an offer, and shall get back to you in due course about that one :)

@Point 22

Which brings me to the next point of protocol.

@All Councillors

Despite my brash or otherwise bland statements. towards the infancy of this newly formed Council, I must confidently point out, that once we gain and sign up more members, development will proliferate smoothly. I think we all that are now in this Council should be part of its core committee, the integral backbone of the council, without which there is no council. So the importance of this committee are the members who are extremely dedicated and pronounce themselves ready. Their job as a committee will be to help and bind new modders taking part and the core will have a voice in the council relating to matters and decisions the council makes.

So I wanted to clarify the importance of all of you.

It's the realisation, of where we all work as a single machine, rather than one lone worker bee. If we all collaborate in a "hive" of common interest, and fusing them together as a concentrated beam of attention, we complete the hurdles infront of our path. Hurdles which are before us and impede our progress.

Ask yourself, "I want this done to the game, according to what I envisioned, but if this is what I want... How can I make my life ""Easier"" in accomplishing, and enforcing, enliven it to become reality???"

And the answer in this lays right here in this very council :)

Where we all here to make it happen and strengthen the visions of that "pseudo-construct" and hack our visions and desires as bones, then we give it the breath of life, and it becomes animatored and alive.

So we generally have these possibilities in our grasp, if we wish to choose to use it.

@Anyone monitoring this council, whom are not members.

Preparation phase usually takes a while. This is to ensure stability and solidarity.

When Rome was built, foundations had to be layed first, and this takes a bit of time. The more time spent on a foundation, the stronger the stability of the outcome. Same applies with the construction of a society, cabinet or any organising body.

A bit of order, dedication and the drive to go the extra mile is a forte. And directed down a guided trajectory it can have the capacity to produce something from nothing.

Because the main game isn't even near completion, there cannot be an expectation towards this council to miraculously produce content. So I would like those outside of this council's realm to take that into consideration.

The key, primary aim for this council is form on a solid foundation in which to become stable for a long term collaboration for 0 A.D. And who knows where the future will guide us in time to come... We might even decide ro become a studio. But for the interest in the minds of myself and the councillors we have to have a strong unity in which to participate in getting the snow ball rolling and let it grow in time.

#In my current situation.

Whilst I have expressed my heavy work load of life in general and work, so just to clarify that there will be times I am absent and unavailable or idling on the forums, but will remain dedicated to this council.

Thank you

Here is the next batch of signatures

a flat, rectangular one for those who already have massive signatures

and one tilted off at 20 degrees

it just makes me smile every time i think of what program i am using to do all this (besides removing the off-color backgrounds)

Edited by thamlett
  • Like 2

Here is the next batch of signatures

a flat, rectangular one for those who already have massive signatures

attachicon.gifpicture1rectangular.png

and one tilted off at 20 degrees

attachicon.gifPicture2.png

it just makes me smile every time i think of what program i am using to do all this (besides removing the off-color backgrounds)

attachicon.gifscreenshot.7.png

Very nice.

Infact, I think we'll use these as our primary signatures :)

/me changes it now

Very nice.

Infact, I think we'll use these as our primary signatures :)

/me changes it now

No description of the wearer? (eg. Programmer, Designer, etc.)

Oh, and the date isn't 16/02/14

@Romulus, something is wrong in your signature.

Edited by niektb

My bad. I'm on my tablet and couldn't see the actual size.

@thamlett

Make the the signatures 500 X 200 and the date "16/02/14" with "Est" before it. Also make the date larger so its readable.

Also put a description like niektb as said, (eg. Programmer,

Designer, etc.)

Edited by Romulus

Can't the kind (dev/artist,..) be put as text .. just like your (currently screwed ) Senātus Populusque Rōmānus.

I wonder if there will be enough characters left to include the CoM logo into your sig... isn't there a limit? Would be a pity, you signature with the Roman bust and its roman surrounding is quite interesting.

@All Councilers

Please specify your GitHub usernames so I can add you.

Everyone that is currently in this Council is part of the core team by default.

@niektb

@Lion.Kanzen

Except you two, I've already added you.

Edited by Romulus

@Romulus

my GitHub username is thamlett - i'm already watching the project on github

@everybody

for the Signatures, i want to get everything finished (angle, texture, lettering, date) before I add the different "kinds"

I also need to know how people who are in multiple branches are going to be represented (?two different signatures, maybe?)

Nice they are shrunk. Unfortunately if only one of us uses a non-shrunk version and is on the same page then the shrunk AND normal size version have to be loaded. So it's the contrary of saving bandwidth.

As I think the smaller one are still big enough to read the Established date, we should go for those.

One more question. How does the recruiting phase work?

Rather, where do you plan to recruit, master Romulus? On Mod DB? Or in communities like blender's or Open Game Art?

Aren't all modders of this forum member automatically?

May we also put up a public write permission sub-repository (if that's possible)?

@github:

faerietree - my twigs and the fruits they might bear at your service.

• Like 1