The Council of Modders

Romulus

Ok , table? The last is the best to start but need more working. I don't know if all agree even I don't know who are these members.

Ok I try with research with that info.

I need some keywords: table...

Know guys answer this before see the spoiler

Ya5XcpR.png

Now you can see, many people thinks in that when create a table as logo.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Doing it in black is not enough.

You need work over this principles.

http://www.creativebloq.com/logo-design/get-started-7112864

01. Learn logo 101

Effective logo designs: I Love NY, Apple, London Underground, CBS, WWF, Woolmark

An effective logo is distinctive, appropriate, practical, graphic, simple in form and conveys an intended message. In its simplest form, a logo is there to identify but to do this effectively it must follow the basic principles of logo design:

A logo must be simple

A simple logo design allows for easy recognition and allows the logo to be versatile and memorable. Effective logos feature something unexpected or unique without being overdrawn.

A logo must be memorable

Following closely behind the principle of simplicity is that of memorability. An effective logo design should be memorable and this is achieved by having a simple yet appropriate logo.

A logo must be enduring

An effective logo should endure the test of time. The logo should be 'future proof', meaning that it should still be effective in 10, 20, 50+ years time.

A logo must be versatile

An effective logo should be able to work across a variety of mediums and applications.

A logo must be appropriate

How you position the logo should be appropriate for its intended purpose. For a more detailed explanation see What makes a good logo?

##############

03. Ask the right questions

A common pitfall before starting a new branding project is to fail to ask the right questions, which includes research on your behalf too. Before you begin your development, get as much information as you can from the client about their business, goals, target market, etc. If possible, try their service or product, visit their store really get to know them and their requirements.

Some important questions you should ask your client before beginning:

How much do you plan to dedicate to this project?

Do you have a fixed deadline or timeline in mind for the project?

What are your goals and why?

What product or service does your business/project offer?

Who is your target audience and who is your most ideal customer?

Who are your competitors and how do you differ from them?

Ok actually you create a Sun.

hi6yuEz.png

That why a logo need a lot of work.

Because the costumer need to know what you are representing with the logo.

You doit a table but if you and me don't know that can be a sun.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Lion has provided key notes here and information.

That is exactly the logo I had in my head, well picked Hephaestion.

But like Lion said, it does look like a sun.

It would look more "tablish" if you coat it with a wooden varnish, and the chairs. I also like the white background.

Also could we have a hexagon shape to have a see what that looks like? That has 6 sides.

For the name,

The Modders Round Table? (But this leaves out the council bit)

@Lion.Kanzen

Some information:

This is a council of modders who are dedicated to 0 A.D.

I do think its appropriate to have 0 A.D. In there.

Alternatively we can have an acronym for a long name.

Such as: The 0 A.D. Council of the Modders Round Table = 0 A.D. C.M.R.T.

Or however this could end up being an association ;) Because in actual fact this is what it is.

So The 0 A.D. Modders Association ( T.0.M.A. )

Why I liked council is because it has that taste of history about it. Association is a very modern term, and I don't really like it.

Good you put in alternatives. Nice books! Let's keep up our momentum.

Council implies table and if we call it Council of Modders and have an image with a round table this says it all.

Artus Table also did call themselves Artusround, so Modderround or Table of Modders or why not Council of Modders as we had it?

Thank you for your efforts to improve my skills, Lion. I hope you have success with that someday. :D I think, I'm not really an artistic giant so please excuse my humble efforts ...

Which goals? Difficult to depict that we want to join efforts though I think the round table tells it all if we only could get 0 A.D. and Modding in there somehow. That's why I wanted to add helmets of all different mods we currently work on. Each chair another helmet or something like that.

It would look more "tablish" if you coat it with a wooden varnish, and the chairs. I also like the white background.

I have to deal with that somehow ... no idea if I can make this happen. Still hope for Lions help once he has more time. Edited by Hephaestion

@Hephaestion

I like the different helmets idea.

Currently I think there's three

Roman, Medieval, and Aristia,s bronze age greek? Helmet

But these can be badges on the table ontop of the name.

And, C.O.M. does it for me too.

0 A.D. Council of Modders ( 0.C.O.M. )

Anyone else that likes it?

Edited by Romulus

I like the table idea, although I could do a 3-D plaque - that is like gold or something and says "Council of Modders"

While we are on this topic, i actually thought of creating two councils: one "High Council" with a gold plaque and consisting of the few of us and some select others with people being the "Chief Artist" etc.

and the "regular" Council consisting of all the other people below us.

Just an Idea

I like the table idea, although I could do a 3-D plaque - that is like gold or something and says "Council of Modders"

While we are on this topic, i actually thought of creating two councils: one "High Council" with a gold plaque and consisting of the few of us and some select others with people being the "Chief Artist" etc.

and the "regular" Council consisting of all the other people below us.

Just an Idea

No one is below anyone.

In this Council, any work submitted by any modder is appreciated. There's no heirachy.

Maybe no hierarchy but specificity (Art, Coder, etc) so people would know who does what if it's not obvious.

yeah, that's what i meant

here's the plaque i was talking about

about me: I am Timothy Hamlett, based out of Chicago in the US (GMT -6). My abilities are military strategy, researching, editing and hacking most kinds of code, having my own web server, and doing simple audio and picture editing.

btw: how do you like my signature?

Edited by thamlett

yeah, that's what i meant

here's the plaque i was talking about

attachicon.gifPicture1.png

about me: I am Timothy Hamlett, based out of Chicago in the US (GMT -6). My abilities are military strategy, researching, editing and hacking most kinds of code, having my own web server, and doing simple audio and picture editing.

btw: how do you like my signature?

Can you take the gray background out as a .png and engraved the text as though it were chiselled in marble?

Lion has provided key notes here and information.

That is exactly the logo I had in my head, well picked Hephaestion.

Also could we have a hexagon shape to have a see what that looks like? That has 6 sides.

For the name,

The Modders Round Table? (But this leaves out the council bit)

@Lion.Kanzen

Some information:

This is a council of modders who are dedicated to 0 A.D.

I do think its appropriate to have 0 A.D. In there.

Alternatively we can have an acronym for a long name.

Such as: The 0 A.D. Council of the Modders Round Table = 0 A.D. C.M.R.T.

Or however this could end up being an association ;) Because in actual fact this is what it is.

So The 0 A.D. Modders Association ( T.0.M.A. )

Why I liked council is because it has that taste of history about it. Association is a very modern term, and I don't really like it.

Ok all of we can do a exercise toma toma in Spanish means "take it" can be a something like ModDb.

moddb_logo.png

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Ok all of we can do a exercise toma toma in Spanish means "take it" can be a something like ModDb.moddb_logo.png

We need mix various concepts no only the table.

Brainstorming:

Technique :associative reflexion.to generate random ideas for images.

1ssgktb.png

Example of fusioning two of these to create logos that are cool.

###################################

Toma>take>hand>nails>tool > CD

A table > wood>tree> USB trident

With modders>guys>foreign> USA >liberty statue>justice>Scales

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Gentlemen

Once we have all four ( 4 ) tasks taken care of, we have another which Lion.Kanzen will help us greatly.

Task 5 Recruitment Campaign

We need to do some marketing and try and attract and recruit more modders for our cause.

Before work can actually get underway, I'd prefer to have a pretty nice list of members.

@Lion.Kanzen

Logo; I meant, the plaque would be nice for now as a temporary signature, until you complete the table :)

Task 5;

Could you write a nice post like this? On mod DB and other sites. We need a nice ad. But this is the last task so far if you want it, but your skills in marketing will prove beneficial here :)

We really need to get an animator... There's two mods that will benefit from an animator hugely.

And someone that can assist in textures.

-

We'll devote a couple weeks of recruiting before proceedings, and in that time, the managing sector of this council should be finished with groundwork.

@Niektb

I would like you to join the managing side as well. I should have time off this week.

I'd also prefer that the recruitment exercise is continuous until we reach a preferable amount of staff. As you know our numbers are low so naturally this is one of the concerns for the project lead.

@thamlett

You can save Lion some time if you take care of the signatures. But edit and make the grey background transparent, and engrave the text a bit more with a shade of lighter grey.

Edited by Romulus

[...]

@Niektb

I would like you to join the managing side as well. I should have time off this week.

I'd also prefer that the recruitment exercise is continuous until we reach a preferable amount of staff. As you know our numbers are low so naturally this is one of the concerns for the project lead.

[...]

Sure, you can count on me.

Well, let's start recruiting then! :wink2:

We should perhaps create a list with the member + their skills in short. In order to back other modders, they should know to which person to direct their questions.

And create a post to recruit new member, though maybe wait to post it really till we have some things like logo, repository etc. etc.?

@Lion.Kanzen

Could you perhaps ask Zophim to tell something about him in this topic, so we can get an idea on what kind of team member he is.

Edited by niektb

We should perhaps create a list with the member + their skills in short. In order to back other modders, they should know to which person to direct their questions.

And create a post to recruit new member, though maybe wait to post it really till we have some things like logo, repository etc. etc.?

Yes definitely.

And yeah, is just waiting for all four tasks to be completed. Then task 5 will be a continuous phase of recruitment.

Because bearing in mind, the more members we have, the effective and easier the work load becomes. I'm not worrying about speed, we have no reason to rush anything.

Because people are not going to work 24/7 on something, having a huge queue of pending tasks when you can have members available for them. So in a way, its a smooth ride and helps promotion.

So Lion, don't worry about the recruiting post at this stage. Let's just get 4 tasks completed ;)

@NiekTB

We have two choices here.

We can transfer repositories to a CoM org.

What this means is, we can add all the mod projects as repos to this single organisation. And add their project lead as collaborators. This is the compiling of the projects all under one governing council.

We even fork repos if the project leads still wants their current repo under their org/user.

We can make repos from scratche with the mods names

"Council"/0 A.D. Bronze Age

"Council"/Millenium A.D.

"Council"/Rome(official name still pending)

Then the leaders of this mod are added as co-owners to the repositories and push/pull as usual.

Then we will have another repo that is the main governing repo for assigning tasks to the sub-repos mentioned above. The sub-repos all fall under the governing repo.

Elaboration

Governing Repository

"Council"/CoM

This repository we assign tasks to all the sub repositories (i.e. The mods)

Sub Repositories

Project Leaders then push/pull for their members to assign.

"Council"/0 A.D. Bronze Age

"Council"/Millenium A.D.

"Council"/Rome(official name still pending)

CoM Staff Structure

-------------------------

@Managing Directors

(Managing sector for overall governance and maintenance)

@Project Leaders

(owners of their mods)

@General Members/Modders

(staff and modders assigned to the mods)

Note: That a flexibility in methodology of what I am adopting here, is that all modders can work on all mods and are not just tied to one mod.

This structure aids benefit for all.

As it stands, I have already created this, but tomorrow when I have time off, I will sort it out.

So Niektb, would present a personal invite to NoMalestor and co to join the Council?

The third option is one I like best and that is linking current existing organisations to the Council's one.

@Lion.Kanzen

Once the methodology of governance as been decided upon, we can create one for the bronze age mod.

Gentlemen, this is all so that it promotes order, convenience, and a work environment based efficiency. The more orderly the setup, the smoother the tasks.

For correspondence and troubleshooting we communicate here in a thread which is then linked as the main url for the Council.

Edited by Romulus

Would it be right to create a repo to use for assigning tasks?

Other than that, only linking the repo's doesn't seem the best solution to me. Cause it preserves a certain amount of chaos in the overview. (Tons of links and websites all with a different layout, etc.)

@Thamlett

Could you experiment with different colors? (I fancy what a combination of gold letters and red marble would look like.)

Edited by niektb

Would it be right to create a repo to use for assigning tasks?

Other than that, only linking the repo's doesn't seem the best solution to me. Cause it preserves a certain amount of chaos in the overview. (Tons of links and websites all with a different layout, etc.

So you thinking about one repository?

"Council"/

/0 A.D. Bronze Age

/Millenium A.D.

/Rome(official name still pending)

Every mod project in the same repository?

Each mod directory will still have different layouts.

For me I think it doesn't matter, because at the end of the day we all have to learn the file system of each others projects.

I wouldn't advise having a convoluted repo consisting of all the mods. That's a recipe for disaster.

I still say they will have to have separate repos.

What are other options that you have in mind?

I'll create an example tomorrow to better present what I mean.

Edited by Romulus

Of course separate repos (whether that would be combined into one organization with collaborators), but I merely was talking about the way to assign tasks. I wondered if creating a general repo is the right way to do so.

@Stan

There is already a very quick, good way to do so, without overwriting main game files.