Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

i have played only with greeks once. Ididn't like the idea of soldiers building and collecting resources. Firstly it renders villagers uselles,besides their lower price, making the game less fun and second its not historicly accurate. For example spartans were only learning to fight and had slaves to do all the other jobs (i dont say that because of the movie).The athinians also had slaves for their work but there were some free men with jobs. Anyway i dont care about history just for a good gaming experience

i have played only with greeks once. Ididn't like the idea of soldiers building and collecting resources. Firstly it renders villagers uselles,besides their lower price, making the game less fun and second its not historicly accurate. For example spartans were only learning to fight and had slaves to do all the other jobs (i dont say that because of the movie).The athinians also had slaves for their work but there were some free men with jobs. Anyway i dont care about history just for a good gaming experience

Only the Homoioi Spartans did not work. They are represented by the Spartiates champion infantry. :)

How if every building has a random texture? It is hard to do, and I know how hard is to make a good texture.

For me, it is just strange to see two building with same shape (well, it can be counted as a suggestion too) with really same texture.

And yes, need women voices.

Also, is that not so strange to see military unit who sent to gathering changed texture suddenly? I'm not complaining about the how military unit can gathering, but how the texture can be changed suddenly.

Also, the wall system need an upgrade, as the current one is not so good. What comes to my brain when I know that wall isn't drawable is that it is hard to be coded. My idea if it is drawn is that block of the wall can be upgraded into tower or gate, alike in Alexander: Fortune Favors the Bold.

<Mrs. Nun>

How if every building has a random texture? It is hard to do, and I know how hard is to make a good texture.

For me, it is just strange to see two building with same shape (well, it can be counted as a suggestion too) with really same texture.

Also, the wall system need an upgrade, as the current one is not so good. What comes to my brain when I know that wall isn't drawable is that it is hard to be coded. My idea if it is drawn is that block of the wall can be upgraded into tower or gate, alike in Alexander: Fortune Favors the Bold.

<Mrs. Nun>

A random texture sounds like it would look bad, the main reason not every building has its own texture is because that would make the game run slower. Having more than one texture for each building sounds even worse in terms of performance.

There currently isn't a wall system, so yeah, that is something we intend to do something about :)

Perhaps policy decision could be introduce to the game?

The concept of policy decision was to balance a civilization from being too strong or too weak, for example: Hellenic civilization could become the Macedonian Kingdom or they could become Sparta and other Greek city states by choosing one of the policy in order to encounter enemies that possess a certain advantage that an ordinary civilization don't have, in return certain unit and benefits was barred in order to balance the game.

This is just an idea when i downloaded the Age of Empires II; The Conquerors mod, Age of Chivalry: Hegemony when they introduced the concept of policy decision to the game.

If someone feel bad about this suggestion please express it on a proper manner or don't get mad about it.

Edited by L'ethu

Perhaps policy decision could be introduce to the game?

The concept of policy decision was to balance a civilization from being too strong or too weak, for example: Hellenic civilization could become the Macedonian Kingdom or they could become Sparta and other Greek city states by choosing one of the policy in order to encounter enemies that possess a certain advantage that an ordinary civilization don't have, in return certain unit and benefits was barred in order to balance the game.

This is just an idea when i downloaded the Age of Empires II; The Conquerors mod, Age of Chivalry: Hegemony when they introduced the concept of policy decision to the game.

We give the Greek player the ability to choose between Macedonians or City-States in the game. Likewise, the Celt player can choose between Britons and Gauls.

I realize me not being around much serves to discredit my suggestions to some degree, but I have lots of friends who I know would love the game. Unfortunately, they all use Macs (because they're undergrads), and I'm reluctant to tell them about the game for this reason. As a goal for Alpha 9 or 10, we should greatly simplify the installation process on Mac OS.

Currently, you need to download and install Macports from their website, and then go through a rigorous process of installing all sorts of libraries (which requires a bit of a knack for computers to even understand), and then you have to figure out how to build the game, which is a monster of its own. For them, popping a CD into their Xbox is much easier than going through this sort of hassle, and we'd lose a certain audience if I were to show them the game today. Windows users download one build of the game that runs independently without any further action from the player. I'd like to see the same for Mac (and if it were done while I'm still in school, it'd be nice for me to be able to utilize this pool of students I temporarily have access to).

I'm not sure what sort of effort this will take, but it should certainly be something that's done (and done regularly; i.e. for each subsequent release) before we go into any sort of Beta phase.

I realize me not being around much serves to discredit my suggestions to some degree

The merit of a suggestion shouldn't depend on who is suggesting it, so that's okay :). I think everyone agrees the current situation is unacceptable for OS X users and ought to be fixed (and I think it ought to be fixed to the same standard as our Windows and Linux builds, i.e. having the installer integrate properly with the OS and having the releases generated regularly and cleanly and repeatably by scripts rather than requiring manual input) - it just seems we're very slow at fixing it since few developers have access to OS X to develop on (and most of those only have VMs) and I'm not sure what we can do about that.

OS X support is iffy on almost all games I've seen and indeed almost all software that claims to be multiplatform. From my perspective, this is because: a.) they are a small market, much smaller than Windows, this means many less developers have OS X experience and it's less of a priority, b.) you can really only use OS X on Mac hardware which requires going out and buying the latest Mac, unlike Windows and Linux that work on systems from a variety of different manufacturers, they mount significant resistance to using OS X in test environments like VMs or non-Mac branded hardware (though it's still possible), c.) Apple doesn't care about making widespread changes to their APIs and potentially breaking many apps - such as the debacle with Lion, which blindsided and broke even well-known commerical apps, d.) Apple wants to force all developers and users to do things Apple's way, using their compilers and toolchain, basically disregarding the likes of the mature and well-established GCC, e.) Apple doesn't care about making massive changes to the way their development tools look, feel, and work internally, just compare Xcode 3 and 4 for example, they totally changed their paradigm, f.) the above problems don't just affect 0 A.D., but every library the game depends on, they struggle with these same problems which means bugs creep in and features remain unimplemented. Basically, Apple is not interesting in encouraging a healthy atmosphere for development, especially not multiplatform development, but rather channeling as much money as possible into their App Store and iStuff.

That's not to say we shouldn't have better OS X support, but it is just some of the issues that are faced when developing a multiplatform app that also targets OS X.

I'm not using Mac, but Linux. I will try whether the Windows binary will run on Linux with wine or not and write my result here. I just need a few minutes...

@developers: Do you use any special version of msvcp90.dll? I've got some problems with this thing...

edit: I gave up. I'm just not good enough to make it running. I play AoE3 on Linux. I play Assassin's Creed on Linux, I play Company of Heroes and some Steam-Games like Counterstrike on Linux but I can't install 0 A.D. this way! Frustrating and annoying!

Edited by Almin

i thought atlas would work now on OS X ... and sound, too.

are there still big problems with it?

regards,

claas

Atlas should work now yeah (as long as it's compiled, the game needs to be specifically compiled to allow Atlas to run as it requires a few extra things). Sound however will not work yet, we are working on a rewrite of the sound system that will make it possible to hear the sounds of the game on Mac as well, but the programmer working on it wasn't able to complete enough of it in time for Alpha 8 for it to be included this time. Hopefully it will be included in Alpha 9 though.

I'm not using Mac, but Linux. I will try whether the Windows binary will run on Linux with wine or not and write my result here. I just need a few minutes...

@developers: Do you use any special version of msvcp90.dll? I've got some problems with this thing...

edit: I gave up. I'm just not good enough to make it running. I play AoE3 on Linux. I play Assassin's Creed on Linux, I play Company of Heroes and some Steam-Games like Counterstrike on Linux but I can't install 0 A.D. this way! Frustrating and annoying!

Just curious, are you having problems either finding a Linux package of 0 A.D. or compiling it yourself, or are you just testing Wine compatibility?

What problems are you having, specifically (error messages help)?

• Stan` featured this topic