Game Balance: Battering Rams, the 0 A.D. tanks?...

krt0143

40 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Nice. Though i'd been more in favor of changing hack to pierce damage since tusks either pierce with headbutts or do crush damage while doing swings, and swap the crush and hack values. And on a sidenote, units that wear shields should probably get a little pierce resistance buff, which would also give a different outcome to the champ ele vs champ swords discussion there. But thats alot of variables to balance, i know.

Oh well.

49 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

So then @krt0143, what would you like done about rams? I have seen a lot of comments but no succinct suggestions.

:blink: I've been rambling on and on about it, again and again, last time 5 hours ago (see above), and you still ask?
Or is that just a rhetorical question requiring no answer?

49 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I proposed something I thought you would be interested in earlier, but maybe you didn't see it.

What are you talking about? I reviewed your posts from the last 2 days and there is nothing there besides a vague suggestion to "improve" (improve in what exactly?).
On all the rest I've already answered, but apparently you don't read my posts, to judge by your question above. :(

13 minutes ago, krt0143 said:

:blink: I've been rambling on and on about it, again and again, last time 5 hours ago (see above), and you still ask?
Or is that just a rhetorical question requiring no answer?

Yeah you have been rambling on and on, but without clearly stating what should be done. You seem to do more writing here than reading other's posts.

14 minutes ago, krt0143 said:

What are you talking about? I reviewed your posts from the last 2 days and there is nothing there besides a vague suggestion to "improve" (improve in what exactly?).
On all the rest I've already answered, but apparently you don't read my posts, to judge by your question above. :(

On 24/09/2023 at 10:10 PM, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I could see benefit in spreading out the hack/pierce armor a little. This would be something like +1 hack armor -1 pierce armor.

I do read your posts, and it takes a while. Just try to be succinct like I am in the above. A good writer can say a lot with few words.

3 hours ago, krt0143 said:

Imagine people without TV or books, for whom the biggest animal existing is a horse, suddenly seeing an elephant! Must be a traumatic event... :laugh:

image.png:roman:!

From one of the meme disussions in off-topic.

Edited by Joe-Lay
Unnecessary content that was off-topic
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Yeah you have been rambling on and on, but without clearly stating what should be done.

How "clearly" do you want it? I'm making suggestions, not giving instructions.

And it's definitely not "should be done".
It's, if you don't mind, just my very own take on the problem, which I'm just quoting as potential inspiration for anyone interested.

Just try to be succinct like I am in the above.

Yes, often borderline cryptic. :rolleyes:

Internet is a limited bandwidth medium where misunderstandings are easy and frequent, so, trying to make sure people understand you is IMHO worth some effort.
I admit it doesn't look as good as throwaway remarks and spiffy one-liners... :rolleyes:

I could see benefit in spreading out the hack/pierce armor a little. This would be something like +1 hack armor -1 pierce armor.

Ah, this. I have no opinion on this so far, it needs more testing to see if it does indeed change something in any significant way.
I made a small specifically built (controlled environment) scenario for this, but didn't have the time to playtest it extensively enough. So far my first impression is "not enough", the British spearmen are still largely useless, but that is probably partly because in my own mod (I'm now used to), I've tweaked spearmen attack values (first age melee units somehow seemed incapable of killing a chicken), so I'm now used to more "decisive" battles. Going back to the endless poking before something dies is jarring.

(Obviously I test your ram setting without my mod, which already extensively modifies rams and fortifications.)

1 hour ago, krt0143 said:

So far my first impression is "not enough", the British spearmen are still largely useless

Well spearmen should be roughly the same, as they do a mix of hack and pierce damage. But with this change, ranged units kill rams 10% faster than they do currently. You could make it -3 or -5 pierce armor if you wish. Feel free to increase or decrease the armor to suit your preference, but the idea I had was to make more units decent at destroying rams, not just hack and crush damage.

15 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

But with this change, ranged units kill rams 10% faster than they do currently.

I don't like that idea too much, purely on a realism level: After all, in reality roofed rams were vulnerable to everything except ranged (arrows, stones, etc.)...

In my own mod I solved the problem (kind of) by making rams slower, which gives you more time to react to them, but mostly simply by making fortifications a lot more resistant to hack & slash (The idea being that it is ridiculous that attackers can destroy a massive stone structure with swords and spears. That bugs me to no end, in all games doing that, but that's me.)
Anyway, after those changes rams became much more to my liking: They are now less easy to employ, but now the only way to get past a tower/fortress. Using them becomes a challenging enterprise, not a mere formality.

But that's my own tastes. I admit others would be bored to death having to whittle down fortresses instead of just steamrolling them.  :shrug:

Thanks for your suggestion, but I think I'll stay with my solution.

Edited by krt0143
correction

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 20/09/2023 at 7:30 AM, borg- said:

The big economic problem of 0a.d is that you can obtain thousands of resources without having expand your city. You can literally reach 300 pop with all the upgrades without needing to expand a single inch. A simple solution without the need for new developments would be to change the standard cost of units, add metal to all infantry and cavalry units, except slinger which already has its stone cost. It would also be necessary to reduce the game's initial mines to perhaps 1000 resources for metal and stone. I think that this way the player really needs to expand his territory and look for new game alternatives.

Of course, this is just a vague idea, it would need to be worked on better.

Fair point.