Add Chinese dubbing to Han Dynasty units.

Sp00ky

Hello,

I wanted to change the voice overs for the Han units. I don't know any chinese dialect so I decided to use google translate and a text to speech tool to generate the lines (I know this is a crappy solution but I find it jarring to hear them speak greek). I have tried copying the structure of the public/audio mod, but it doesn't seem to take effect (I am testing with the female villager "march" voiceline, but then I will add others), I can enable the mod and no error appears, but the unit still plays the original greek voice line.

I am attaching the mod maybe someone can help me figure out what is going on. Also attaching the folder structure in case the issue can be spotted at a glance.

One thing I thought is that maybe since han are using the greek files it won't pick up the new ones. If that is the case, what should I change so that the new files are picked up instead of the greek ones?

Screenshot_20230527_170623.png

chinese_va.zip

Edited by Sp00ky
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finished an initial release

https://github.com/juanfgs/0ad_chinese_va

There are several things I don't like on how I did it, I had to copy a bunch of templates to the mod, which I feel is not ideal. I was wondering if there is a way to inject only the <Lang>mandarin</Lang> tag to the existing templates without overriding other values (otherwise it would override stuff like unit costs etc.)

Any help is welcome

Edit: I did a small update, as I noticed I was using the wrong files causing in errors with other factions.

Edited by Sp00ky
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Half a year ago, I planned to record the dialogue voice of the Han Dynasty unit, but due to the rapid spread of the new coronavirus, this task was paralyzed, and I wanted to start this work again, after all, I don't want the Han Dynasty faction to exist in two versions of the game and still have no native language dubbing.

But the problem is that, as I have reflected before, in this voice list, the three jobs of logging, mining, and quarrying seem to be expressed in the same sentence, and there is no appropriate sentence in spoken Chinese to express this. , three different voices must be recorded separately for logging, mining, and quarrying.
I want to coordinate on this question, if I record three voices separately, will it work fine in the game?

Action             	                    – English
order_build             	            – I will build.
order_walk                                  - I will walk.
order_repair                                - I will repair.
order_attack                                - I will attack! I will go out against them! I will march! I will retreat! Battle cry.
order_gather                                - I will gather. I will fish. I will hunt. I will work land. I will herd.
order_guard                                 - I will guard.
order_garrison                              - I will garrison.
order_patrol                                - I will patrol.
order_trade                                 - I will trade.
order_heal                                  - I will heal.
select             	                    – What is it? My lord?
Edited by AIEND
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AIEND said:

appropriate sentence in spoken Chinese to express this. , three different voices must be recorded separately for logging, mining, and quarrying.
I want to coordinate on this question, if I record three voices separately, will it work fine in the game?

Yes you can.

20 minutes ago, leopard said:

maybe we can give sanskrit voice to Mauryas

I read that Mauryas used Prakrit, I don't think there are AI models trained on prakrit or sanskrit. The site I used has Bengali and Hindi which are probably the closest (altough not really related).

Edited by Sp00ky
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Sp00ky said:

These sound very nice. The audio quality is good and the voices are very clear.

I think the phrases they are using are too long. Too many syllables. It sounds like they are using complete sentences, when really they should be using short phrases and acknowledgments. 

So, when tasking a unit to do something, instead of "I will do that, my lord!", use something like, "Yes, my lord!" or "As you wish!" Fewer syllables and less overlap with the sound effects in-game.

When selecting a unit, instead of "What can I do for you, my liege?", use "Yes, my liege?"

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sp00ky said:

I agree, these overlap a lot otherwise. Thanks for the suggestion.

Other examples can be found in Age of Empires (1, 2, 3, etc.) where a lot of command acknowledgements are even just 1 word!

Send a Britons villager to chop a tree in AOE2 and all they say is "Chopper!" Quick, simple, to the point audio feedback. 

4 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Other examples can be found in Age of Empires (1, 2, 3, etc.) where a lot of command acknowledgements are even just 1 word!

Send a Britons villager to chop a tree in AOE2 and all they say is "Chopper!" Quick, simple, to the point audio feedback. 

In Spanish and Portuguese they use the verbs.

"Cortar" o "madeira"

Generally, they use subject as an equivalent to the word wood.

And when you select them they say the function or role they do. The generic is servidor.

"Servidor" or  "leñador". Lumberjack 

1 minute ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

"Cortar" o "madeira"

And when you select them they say the function or role they do. The generic is servidor.

In Rome Total War (1 and 2) when you select a battalion they yell "Hoplites!" or "Heavy Skirmishers!" or "Thessalian Lancers!" -- whatever the unit is. Very handy.

24 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

"Cortar" o "madeira"

Never understood why they yelled Santiago when attacking lol.

I just paid for some minutes in the service (they give like 10 minutes for free) I will try to make more specific and shorter responses. It might take a bit longer after the weekend.