Round leaves under a palm tree

Akira Kurosawa

You should check out the map generation. Sometimes palm leaves are generated under palm trees, sometimes from deciduous forest. Looks ridiculous. Especially when there are only palm trees and needles nearby.

Spoiler

screenshot0001.thumb.png.9bc6c745430dcc59f18f29378d2f4f1e.png

Spoiler

screenshot0001.png.c2f204c07c1792db0420e4a80b6eb1ce.png

I see this question is confusing... Check your biome templates to make sure the desert biome doesn't capture chunks of the autumn forest biome. It would be nice to check other biome templates as well.

Edited by Akira Kurosawa
  • Confused 1

I suppose both the condescending tone, and the lack of patience doesn't really maximize the chances you get of getting a positive answer. Realise you're talking to less than a handful volunteers doing this on their free time.

You also haven't provided any information about the map it happens on other than it maybe being procedurally generated.

There are a lot of biomes in the game rmbiome in ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/maps/random – Wildfire Games so narrowing it down would help (Here it's apparently Sahara.json). Also finding the leaves decal name or terrain (in this case Sahara Sand 03), using atlas would save time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

I suppose both the condescending tone, and the lack of patience doesn't really maximize the chances you get of getting a positive answer. Realise you're talking to less than a handful volunteers doing this on their free time.

First, I don't push anyone to do anything.  Secondly, the intersection of biomes is still a bug.  And one sentence that you noticed this and acknowledge this bug would be quite enough.

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

You also haven't provided any information about the map it happens on other than it maybe being procedurally generated.

The most common randomly generated map of the mainland in the Sahara biome. It seemed to me that after so many years, developers themselves can determine their biome by the "first three notes". Apparently not...

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Realise you're talking to less than a handful volunteers doing this on their free time.

You say this as if developing this game is not a hobby for you, but forced torture.

14 minutes ago, Akira Kurosawa said:

The most common randomly generated map of the mainland in the Sahara biome. It seemed to me that after so many years, developers themselves can determine their biome by the "first three notes". Apparently not...

1st, you never said its on mainland.

2nd, the development team is not the same as it was years ago, not everyone knows how certain biomes look like or can guess by picture.

3rd, being there people who could say the biome those may not see this post at all

4th, simply biome may not be enough, maps can have tweaks to it

18 minutes ago, Akira Kurosawa said:

You say this as if developing this game is not a hobby for you, but forced torture

The feedback and bug reports are appreciated, but devs do not scan forum 24/7. They have work and personal life, doing this as hobby but sometimes it feels like torture when the reports read like "you are useless, do this to fix the bug, how you can't see it"

• Like 5

By the looks this is probably Sahara desert biome on Mainland. I was able to re-produce what he described:

image.png.e85d6e530a49568ffcf922fb05021cf7.png

But I think the round leaves here doesn't affect the gameplay at all. If you are very serious then turn on my abstractGUI mod and that will remove all these fancy stuff. Also the leaves' edges decay first and after some time of rotting, they become round-shaped blobs like this. Notice that there are larger leaves trees around as well. 

Overall I think it's not important, not even a bug. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yekaterina said:

But I think the round leaves here doesn't affect the gameplay at all.

And I'm not saying that it affects the gameplay.  This is purely a decorative error.  With regards to vegetation, in my case there were palm trees and needles, which does not fit in with the autumn foliage.  Just for prevention, it would not be bad to check the rest of the texture sets in the future, making sure of their biome uniformity.

1 hour ago, Silier said:

"you are useless, do this to fix the bug, how you can't see it"

I use experience from other games and usually each biome has its own specific set of textures. In Age of Empires 2, I don't remember any instances of Yucatan stone heads appearing in the Black Forest biome. It seemed to me that since you are already voting for the name of the new alpha, then you have moved into the stage of cosmetic changes and you have time to fix small details before release.

The whole point of the "rounded leaves bug" was to hint that it would be nice to standardize texture sets for each biome. Because not only developers, but also players don't always have time to roam your virtual wilderness with a lens looking for misplaced chunks of textures.

1 hour ago, Yekaterina said:

Notice that there are larger leaves trees around as well. 

I see a couple of bushes and a tree with needles. Probably in the world 0 A.D. needles after falling off turn into leaves. Or is it just smeared camel poop?:rofl:

Why don't we place mushrooms instead of leaves? It doesn't affect the gameplay, but it's beautiful... Overall I think it's not important, not even a bug.

Okay, I realized that such trifles are of no interest to anyone here. Better let's speed up the arrows to infinity.:pilot:

2 hours ago, Akira Kurosawa said:

First, I don't push anyone to do anything.

On 05/03/2023 at 6:47 AM, Akira Kurosawa said:

You should check out the map generation. [...] Looks ridiculous

That sounds like a push. I'm gonna assume it's a language barrier issue.

2 hours ago, Akira Kurosawa said:

You say this as if developing this game is not a hobby for you, but forced torture.

Just because it's a hobby doesn't mean I enjoy all of it.

1 hour ago, Akira Kurosawa said:

use experience from other games and usually each biome has its own specific set of textures. In Age of Empires 2, I don't remember any instances of Yucatan stone heads appearing in the Black Forest biome.

That's the case here too, that specific textures has leaves on it. It's part of the Saharian biome as @Yekaterina and I said. You can see them in Atlas, the map editor.

It seemed to me that since you are already voting for the name of the new alpha, then you have moved into the stage of cosmetic changes and you have time to fix small details before release.

Different types of developpers but sure it's bugfixing time while the last release blockers get squashed. Again we appreciate the report.

Why don't we place mushrooms instead of leaves?

It's part of the texture, it's a png :)  So you have to update/redo the texture. And we have some mushrooms actors, but map generation is really limited.

Better let's speed up the arrows to infinity.:pilot:

That's an unrelated discussion for unrelated developpers...

in my case there were palm trees and needles, which does not fit in with the autumn foliage.  Just for prevention, it would not be bad to check the rest of the texture sets in the future, making sure of their biome uniformity.

Why don't we place mushrooms instead of leaves?

Just make your own GUI mod that adds mushrooms and removes autumn foliage. It's do-able. I made my own GUI mod where I shaved the trees and coloured them purple,, and turned all grass to black colour. You can do the same to adjust the biomes to your liking. 

Or is it just smeared camel poop?:rofl:

Okay, I realized that such trifles are of no interest to anyone here. Better let's speed up the arrows to infinity.:pilot:

Are you mocking me?! :angry:

43 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Different types of developpers but sure it's bugfixing time while the last release blockers get squashed. Again we appreciate the report.

It would be nice if you could create several sticky sections for several categories of bugs. In this case, visual inconsistencies would not be mixed with critical bugs in one heap.

Edited by Akira Kurosawa

2 minutes ago, Akira Kurosawa said:
44 minutes ago, Stan` said:

It would be nice if you could create several sticky sections for several categories of bugs.  In this case, design errors would not be mixed with critical bugs in one heap

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/report/3

48 minutes ago, Akira Kurosawa said:

But we are talking about changes in the core of the game? Why do I need a texture fix mod if it doesn't get into the core of the game?

I don't know if we should remember this here, this is a project that we are doing in our spare time and we are not in any hurry to finish it by any specific date.

So we have about a thousand more important things to do both in art and programming than to pay attention to a detail that no one has ever noticed except zooming in on it.

There are only two people who can solve this for you, although I can also more or less give you a solution but not a complete one.

The best thing to do is to open a ticket and hope that sometime in the next 10 years someone will solve it.

The best thing to do is to open a ticket and hope that sometime in the next 10 years someone will solve it.

Because that's how things work here, you have to bring it to the attention of the right person to fix it, I'm not going to fix it, Stan is not going to fix it because it's not our job.

The only person I can think of who can fix it is Wowgetoffyoucellphone.

3 hours ago, Akira Kurosawa said:

I see a couple of bushes and a tree with needles. Probably in the world 0 A.D. needles after falling off turn into leaves. Or is it just smeared camel poop?:rofl:

This is a free game and few people work very hard to develop it without any remuneration so I am really surprised to read these kinds of unfortunate and ironic reviews. Perhaps you could try a more constructive and positive approach and you will surely get better responses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, guerringuerrin said:

This is a free game and few people work very hard to develop it without any remuneration so I am really surprised to read these kinds of unfortunate and ironic reviews. Perhaps you could try a more constructive and positive approach and you will surely get better responses.

More constructive and positive approach usually shelved forever. In any case, I managed to draw the attention of the developers. How do I know that you only have one graphic designer? I thought all developers were involved in game design in one way or another...

1 minute ago, Akira Kurosawa said:

More constructive and positive approach usually shelved forever. In any case, I managed to draw the attention of the developers. How do I know that you only have one graphic designer? I thought all developers were involved in game design in one way or another...

You have the wrong idea, and not everyone is trained in the same areas.

Most of us have things to do, the other part is not active for years, especially since 2021 we lost almost all the art team, especially the 3D.

The 2D is me who is a volunteer and Wow....

• Like 1