How to calculate how fast I can capture a building

BeTe

I am wondering for example, how many p1 units I need to capture building? For example my units have 2.5 capture points. 

So 20 units x 2.5 points = 50 capture per second, right?

Sentry Tower has 500 capture "health" so I guess it's 10 seconds?

What if there is 1 solider? What if 2 or 3? How much bonus they give?

The answer is that it's complicated and depends on: The capture strength of your units, the capture points and the capture regeneration of the building, which is influence by the type and number of units garrisoned inside of it. (Also a number of techs may influence the result)

If you are super interested, I recommend to look at this file: https://github.com/0ad/0ad/blob/master/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/components/Capturable.js

But imo there is no way you will be able to accurately calculate during a game how much time it will "exactly" take. I would recommend to try it, see how fast the bar is going down and then decide if it's worth it to commit to the attack or rather retreat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maroder said:

The answer is that it's complicated and depends on: The capture strength of your units, the capture points and the capture regeneration of the building, which is influence by the type and number of units garrisoned inside of it. (Also a number of techs may influence the result)

If you are super interested, I recommend to look at this file: https://github.com/0ad/0ad/blob/master/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/components/Capturable.js

But imo there is no way you will be able to accurately calculate during a game how much time it will "exactly" take. I would recommend to try it, see how fast the bar is going down and then decide if it's worth it to commit to the attack or rather retreat.

How to figure out regeneration rate of a building?

I must learn rough estimates before trying to capture, otherwise I'd lose health by approaching that building... :(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BeTe said:

How to figure out regeneration rate of a building?

I must learn rough estimates before trying to capture, otherwise I'd lose health by approaching that building... :(

I just go by feeling. If I make an early move against a weakened neighbor ~70 units - including 10 healers - is plenty. Other times I just try and either succeed or retreat, heal up, snipe enemies and retry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gurken Khan said:

I just go by feeling. If I make an early move against a weakened neighbor ~70 units - including 10 healers - is plenty. Other times I just try and either succeed or retreat, heal up, snipe enemies and retry.

Well, roughly how much units you would require  to go try to capture Stone Tower with estimation there are 5 units garrisoned in there? :D

Edited by BeTe

1 hour ago, BeTe said:

Well, roughly how much units you would require  to go try to capture Stone Tower with estimation there are 5 units garrisoned in there? :D

My usual citizen cav + 1 tower guy. Probably less. Just try it. Probably depends on civ, tecs, ranks...

Don't overthink it. If it works great, if not regroup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

My usual citizen cav + 1 tower guy. Probably less. Just try it. Probably depends on civ, tecs, ranks...

Don't overthink it. If it works great, if not regroup.

I am interested in p1 fights; therefore without upgrades, heroes, sieges, etc. I am trying some strategy (see thread below) where I use 2 or more groups of p1 units to early attack and ruin opponent. I'd like to know whether I should try to capture towers or rather go somewhere else and do something else. Capturing tower in this phase would be relative big thing, but could also lose  time on failed try. 

Well, playing against AI, if I see that I share borders with an enemy I immediately put up twin towers and put a man inside; sometimes that's enough to "extinctify" them, especially if you happen to cover their woodcutting storehouse and/or berries. They're stupid. ^^

I then do other things, like building up my eco and phasing up. In your case you might want to base your decision on whether you've got use for those towers later on or if they're hurting your progression through enemy territory; if you capture the CC it should also be easier to capture those towers later.

14 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Well, playing against AI, if I see that I share borders with an enemy I immediately put up twin towers and put a man inside; sometimes that's enough to "extinctify" them, especially if you happen to cover their woodcutting storehouse and/or berries. They're stupid. ^^

I then do other things, like building up my eco and phasing up. In your case you might want to base your decision on whether you've got use for those towers later on or if they're hurting your progression through enemy territory; if you capture the CC it should also be easier to capture those towers later.

Wait, what? You play against AI? :) 

On 17/02/2023 at 4:16 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:

damage percentage also counts. the more damage the easier it is to capture.

no. it only depends on conquer attack, not damage.

1 minute ago, Yekaterina said:

@BeTe regeneration rates and capture rates are given in the templates files. Simulation/templates

Regeneration rates are ok, but the math is more complex than it seems. I suggest making experiments.

3 minutes ago, alre said:
On 17/02/2023 at 3:16 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:

damage percentage also counts. the more damage the easier it is to capture.

no. it only depends on conquer attack, not damage

He means the damaged buildings have less loyalty regeneration rates

I honestly can't understand why 0ad employs unnecessarily complicated maths... Just make everything linear and it will be easy for everyone and less lag

• Thanks 2