Jump to content

Thalatta

Community Members
  • Posts

    604
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    15

Everything posted by Thalatta

  1. It has to be Proto-Zapotec. One has to be careful because there are also intermediate languages between Proto-Zapotec and the Zapotec variants like Southern Zapotec, as is Proto-Southern-Zapotec for example. A fast search led me to a short Spanish Proto-Zapotec dictionary at the end of this 1973 publication: https://www.jstor.org/stable/1264826 (an account with Google can be made), but hopefully there are other dictionaries around.
  2. Yes, I noticed because in these 10 minutes at last I kind of learned how to use the Editor In any case, my point in that link was not so much "two different mechanisms for the same effect", but that "there's no need for different buttons if the functions are similar and, if I'm not wrong, there's no overlap between them". Of course there are the differences you mention, but they are still similar things, although later on I stated that "maybe there's a case (or plan), to have structures that can be both garrisoned and posted (this should be the term, instead of "turreted")", in which case it would be fine to leave two buttons (although the "turret" naming should be corrected because, as I explained there, it makes no sense).
  3. You mean that, if they are shot, they don't lose health, but they fall from up there?
  4. I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense. Nahuatl appeared centuries after the time frame of Empires Ascendant. The Maya didn't speak Nahuatl. They didn't even speak languages that are part of the broader Uto-Aztecan language family.
  5. How did you deal with the problems of Proto-Zapotec tonal reconstruction? Which one have you followed? The list of commands and a reference to their reconstruction would be nice to see.
  6. No, that's a vertical view, I mean a zoomed out view (without using the Developer Overlay, or having any unexpected issues). I think the reviewers called that a bird's eye view, when asking for zooming out to have a better view of everything.
  7. Both reviewers of Game of Thrones: War for Westeros asked for the same thing: bird's eye view. Beyond All Reason provides exactly that. I think 0 A.D. should too, together with keeping sizes as realistic as possible (that is, do not shrink ships like AoE and others). All those things should work well hand in hand.
  8. They are getting better at writing some BS.
  9. What about showing the foundation only to the owner (and maybe allies)? It should be just a plan before anyone comes close to it. This would also avoid the annoying destruction of foundations, unless this is on purpose because of some gameplay consideration. I think my proposal results in a more fluid gameplay.
  10. I agree in theory, but in practise, my walls do seem to get converted when slowly leaving my territory (yes, this means they become detached from my root, and you can then see that as the actual reason), that's what I meant with: And my first observation was that I think this won't happen anymore with your fix. A detail: there are exceptions to "they decay if not connected to a root", like garrisoned buildings, and docks (which don't even decay in enemy land). And maybe it's not that the wall really leaves my territory, but that each block has it's own too small territory (in a way, this is what you fixed), and the enemy's land expansion makes each of these to detach from root, but still, that's a difference between what exactly happens in theory, and how it looks like in practise. Sure. But I'm not sure if you understood my first observation (which I just clarified), and nothing has been said regarding my second one. The point being not what's actually happening, but how some other things (besides the "Barrack Hack") will behave differently. @Atrik I edited some things to be more concise and clear, just in case you already read a previous version.
  11. Your misconception here is to think I'm imagining something I'm not. I'm just trying to mentally emulate the consequences of the fix and point out anything unintended, given that you said "maybe I'm overlooking some potential drawbacks of doing so.. Anyone can think of one?". And I'm thinking of a couple of things, as I'll mention (I guess related to your "buildings are reasonably spaced" observation). Indeed "you cannot own a building but the land is to someone else" (except if they are decaying because of that). "There will be no more territory lines crossing buildings" is indeed the direct consequence of the fix, as is "buildings in the territory won't decay unless the CC is totally enclaved", that was your point all along. I see now why there won't actually be "self-sustaining" territories: their footprints are not root, so they should decay if detached from root territory. But I was also thinking about this situation: I've had the issue that part of my walls would decay if the enemy territory expands. If I'm not wrong, this won't be the case anymore, since the fix wouldn't allow anymore for only a part of a long wall to decay. I don't have a problem with this, in fact I think the present behaviour is a problem (because my towers get distracted shooting the converted walls I want to gain back!), and your fix might have solved this. But considering all that, and, again, if I'm not wrong, it would seem that the fix would make buildings not "reasonably spaced" way harder to convert just by territory expansion since, given that "there will be no more territory lines crossing buildings", one would have to detach a whole not "reasonably spaced" group of buildings from the root territory. Maybe this is preferable for some, but seems a bit of a drawback for me.
  12. Indeed. @feneur, this image shows a 3rd wave of spam, the 1st one was over 40 minutes ago, and it's still there. I have to strongly disagree that "new users might have to wait a number of hours before their first post is approved" is any worse than this, which affects all users and makes things look trashy and unsafe.
  13. You can always test this stuff in minutes :P. In any case, I went through that and its problems in https://wildfiregames.com/forum/topic/137611-what-do-you-think-0-ad-lacks/page/6/#comment-757933 (a PR was made our of that, although I think things have to be further simplified). Basically: "to man the Wall that button [Turret] must be used, but to man the Wall Towers the Garrison button must be used".
  14. That's not my misconception since I know that a bunch of territory starts decaying if it's detached from the territory root (it's a useful strategy when invading). Saying "really it's about being connected to a territory root" is what I mean, that is, that's how it should be. I was wondering if buildings not connected to territory root would still decay if their "footprints (their size) always be the territory of the building owner", because said like that sounds like they would be "self-sustaining" territories, but maybe the workings of the algorithm are not so straightforward (I'm just thinking of it as: you move the borders, and if a building falls into enemy territory, it decays, but with what you propose that would seem an impossibility).
  15. By "building footprints (their size) always be the territory of the building owner" you mean as long as that territory is connected with root territory? Otherwise decay would seem impossible in certain situations.
  16. Opened 10 years ago, last message 7 years ago... is there where the PRs you want me to open are going to end? I see they discuss if to implement it to all buildings or not, and they don't discuss what percentage should be salvageable. I'd combine these issues and just assign every building a realistic "salvage rate", for example, 85% for temples, 15% for houses, or whatever values are best for gameplay.
  17. Ah, I was confused. This has nothing to do with "losing health" or "health bars". You mean capture points. Now that I think, maybe that should be called loyalty or allegiance, to pair it with "health", since saying "losing capture" wouldn't make much sense.
  18. Looks pretty good... I don't know enough about trees to spot a misplaced species (maybe if you click and search about them), but remember to remove the camels
  19. @Red Wolf, some clarification: Regarding 10 (Wall towers could be upgraded to fire at enemies): I think this was so in the past (someone said "left-over from old wall towers being able to shoot" in another thread), so there were reasons to change it. I think there are issues on how Palisades, Walls, Towers and Fortresses work, so we might see some changes at some point. Regarding 15 (Signs of destruction on buildings as they lose health are barely noticeable): I actually agree on that, just not with flames appearing without any reasonable source.
  20. @Red Wolf, maybe edit your post to add numbers to your suggestions, so the following is easier to read: I disagree with 2, 11 and 15 (standard practice doesn't mean good practice, I'm strongly against spontaneous combustion). I agree with 1, 12 (also proposed it), maybe 4, 5, 13 and somewhat 6. 14 would be nice, but not a priority, I guess. Regarding 3, the default size should just be bigger, many have complained already, and honestly, I find it offensive to people that have sight problems. I got super used to it, but I remember thinking how unnecessarily dumb it looked. Regarding 7, this is easy to find in Settings > Hotkeys, start writing "mi" and you see "Select military only: Alt", so just use that modifier. Regarding 9, you said "snap", go to Settings > Hotkeys, start writing "sn" and you see "Toogle snap-to-edge: Ctrl", so just use that modifier. Regarding 16, as usual, Settings > Hotkeys, start writing "id", the hotkeys are "." and "-". If you literally meant "button", yeah, maybe, or could eventually be right-clicking on the one for idle workers, or similar. Regarding 8 and 10, I'm quite neutral and would like to listen to arguments.
  21. @nifa, AC's picture resembles the 2nd that @Genava55 posted, but I'd guess the 1st one he posted is a bit more accurate, being more elongated. Nothing remains from wooden theatres, but one can see the layout of the earliest stone ones, an example being the one at Thorikos, the world's oldest known theatre, from around 500 BC (https://theatreofancientgreece.blogspot.com/2014/08/ancient-theatre-of-thorikos.html): The Euonymon Theatre in Trachones would be another example (for more details, and mention of others: https://www.theatrum.de/382.html). Additionally, the Oxford Classical Dictionary states, regarding the early Theatre of Dionysus in Athens, that "late 19th-cent. excavations suggested a circular orchestra; many now prefer to think of a rectilinear orchestra" (thus hard to say something about its exact shape, considering others just state "possibly in Pi-shaped arrangement around the orchestra"), "the stage and most probably the stage building were wooden at this period; some think that there was no stage building till shortly before the Oresteia in 458 BC", while before "the stage was about a metre high with a flight of steps in the centre communicating with the orchestra". It was rebuilt in stone in 350 BC (although in many cases there are intermediate stages, like the first rows only being made of stone, but this would be too much for the game, for now).
  22. I see, although usually they have to wait hours or days for an answer to whatever they ask, so in principle I don't think the problem is as serious as it initially might seem.
  23. I feel compelled to ask those who are in a position to implement it: why is this not so?
  24. I'm not sure how that would fit, and if it does, I guess it wouldn't be ordered by remaining time, which seems quite important. Personally, I dislike top-center notifications, it seems cleaner to me to show them on the corners (which corner depending on which type of notification). I would make them permanently visible, but detachable/reattachable by right-clicking on the main icons (which now does nothing). That is, using my example, if one right-clicks on the Match Settings icon, the three "Wonder" notifications disappear, and reappear if done again. Then one has fast and easy control of what wants to be shown.
  25. That wouldn't have been necessary :P. Certainly they knew about Late Bronze Age armour because of oral traditions, the Iliad was written around 700 BC, yet gets many things right from 1200 BC (like boar's tusk helmets), while also committing anachronisms (funeral pyres). I've also read that these ("Boeotian") shields could have been kept by some families as heirlooms.
×
×
  • Create New...