Jump to content

Forums

  1. Welcome

    1. Announcements / News

      The latest. What is happening with 0 A.D. Stay tuned...

      5,4k
      posts
    2. Introductions & Off-Topic Discussion

      Want to discuss something that isn't related to 0 A.D. or Wildfire Games? This is the place. Come on in and introduce yourself. Get to know others who are using 0 A.D.

      38,6k
      posts
    3. Help & Feedback

      Here is where you can get help with your questions. Also be sure to tell us how we are doing. What can we improve? What do you wish we could do better? Your opinion matters to us!

      16,9k
      posts
  2. 0 A.D.

    1. General Discussion

      This is the place to post general stuff concerning the game. Want to express your love for hoplites or find people to play the game with? Want to share your stories about matches you have played or discuss historical connections to the game? These and any other topics which are related to the game, but don't have their own forums belong in this forum.

      51,1k
      posts
    2. Gameplay Discussion

      Discuss the game play of 0 A.D. Want to know why the game plays the way it does or offer suggestions for how to improve the game play experience? Then this is the forum.

      28k
      posts
    3. Game Development & Technical Discussion

      A forum for technical discussion about the development of 0 A.D. Feel free to ask questions of the developers and among yourselves.

      48,2k
      posts
    4. Art Development

      Open development for the game's art. Submissions, comments, and suggestions now open.

      30,3k
      posts
    5. Game Modification

      Do you have any questions about modifying the game? What will you need to do what you want to? What are the best techniques? Discuss Modifications, Map Making, AI scripting and Random Map Scripting here.

      45,6k
      posts
    6. Project Governance

      Forums for decision-making on issues where a consensus can't be reached or isn't sufficient. The committees are chosen from among the official team members, but to ensure an open and transparent decision process it's publically viewable.

      148
      posts
    7. 597
      posts
  • Topics

  • Posts

    • There is no consensus. Experts have been debating this subject for a long time without reaching a consensus. The problem is that it is difficult in any case to explain the presence of chariots in early medieval Irish myths if we assume that they did not exist during the Iron Age. Experts are sometimes disingenuous, going so far as to claim that the chariots never existed and that the myths were fabricated from scratch by Christians, drawing on Roman writings. Objectively speaking, that’s complete rubbish, but I don’t feel like debating the issue. 
    • @Thalatta, I'm glad you built, tested, even more so dug a bit into the code.  For your proposed change, I'm pretty sure I can make yourself disagree with it. You might have noticed collisions already take into account relative speed, by scaling the magnitude by it. The part you changed is the soft push, which only depends on how much the units overlap. That's on purpose: it's what gets overlapping units apart. With your check it's set to 0 whenever the units move apart, or stand still since you used >=. That doesn't make physical sense, and would now allow overlapping: two idle units on top of each other, or two units walking side by side at the same speed, would never be separated. Yes, some small wiggles are expected in any case. But they shouldn't look like units are bouncing. And they should settle very fast. Is your tests using the updated code (after i replying to @guerringuerrin)? I cannot reproduce such sever bouncing with it. Part of my last tweaks, for "solids" the soft push that extend beyond the actual unit footprint (used to try to have them spacing out more naturally) have very dimmed effect on spin. This help individuals in herds keep their facing direction under control.
    • Hello, I currently running 0A.D. R28 and DE R28, great work! If I play with Cimbri and if I recruit the clubman raiders in the Civic center they slowly die (about 1 minute after recruiting). The only way I found to make them stay alive is to garrison a temple... Is a bug or a feature? Thanks  
    • @Atrik, bouncing is expected since you are using linear pushing, and that's how springs work. A simple "fix" (or at least to show where I think the problem comes from) I just tried is not to keep pushing when the object is already moving away. In these test videos, I split all elephants in two groups and make them move against each other, press abort, make them go through a narrow path to attack a structure, and when they are concentrating on top of where that was, press abort. Notice the lack of bouncing in the second video (the one with my change) after pressing abort: Recording 2026-09-30 104423.mp4   Recording 2026-09-30 104650.mp4   The code I added to UnitCollision.cpp before the last line shown: const CFixedVector2D relativeVelocity = a.velocity - b.velocity; const fixed separatingVelocity = relativeVelocity.Dot(offset); if (separatingVelocity >= fixed::Zero()) distanceFactor = entity_pos_t::Zero(); CFixedVector2D pushingDir = offset.Multiply(distanceFactor); The fix doesn't have to be exactly like this, it could be a function depending on the relative velocity vector for example (to better handle any unwanted increased overlapping), but I think that's a simple way to add non-linearity, besides being realistic: a push is a force applied in a certain time interval (impulse), and this process is usually more inefficient if during this time the object moves away, because what's pushing falls behind of what's pushed. This is related to mechanical impedance, and that's why springs react more when pushed at their resonance frequency, since that timing doesn't fall behind, nor gets past, the points of most efficient energy transfer. I didn't notice a big difference when they went through the narrow path, but the unit's rotation when pushed seems to be quite a problem. I'd make torque effects more inefficient by, quite obviously, either making them more spherical or changing their moment of inertia, if that's how things are implemented (I haven't checked that).
    • Create something similar for my mod using AI—it might be interesting:  In this new combat mode, it's possible to play using area control or head-on battles like in *Total War*; for my futuristic mod, I intend to focus primarily on area control, though nothing stops me from removing the control points and reverting to classic *Total War*—if one can even call it that.
×
×
  • Create New...