Game crashing when loading map

fritzmyname

Hi @all,

I'm new to this forum and the game, so please go easy on me. I love the game from what I have seen, but sadly I can't play it.

First: I did google my problem, tried everything that was suggested, redownloaded, uninstalled, tried different locations for installement. I even found a similar thread from a few years ago, but it turned out that my problem is not sound-related (trying without sound didn't work for me, but did for the other guy)

Now the actual problem:

When I try to start a single player game, the game crashes while loading the map. Everything up to this point works great! After crashing, I get this message:

Much to our regret we must report the program has encountered an error.

Please let us know at http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ and attach the crashlog.txt and crashlog.dmp files.

Details: unhandled exception (Access violation reading 0x00000000)

Call stack:

(error while dumping stack: No stack frames found)
errno = 0 (No error reported here)
OS error = 0 (no error code was set)

(This message varies; 

Details: unhandled exception (Access violation reading 0x65762065)

This number is different from time to time...)

I would gladly supply the crashlog.txt and crashlog.dmp, but I don't know where to find them. In the error message is nothing else.

I thank you wholeheartedly for your support in advance :)

Kind regards

Edit: I have an Acer Travelmate 7750G Laptop which supports games like ARMA without problems, so that's that. Win7, 4GB RAM

Edited by fritzmyname

Both laptops are stock and both are capable of running graphic-heavy programs. My brother's laptop is even older (it's the previous version of mine). I am by no means an expert and don't know a lot about PC hardware :o

the graphics card is a AMD Radeon HD 6650 1GB VRAM

I run games like ARMA 3 without problems and also design/engineering programs like Revit, ACAD etc. I don't think it's the graphics card fault, especially considering that my brother's is even worse and it work on his.

What does the crashlog say? Is there some information? Again, I'm an engineering student, no computer scientist...;)

is there some kind of script or something I could change?

2 hours ago, elexis said:

Try disabling all graphics settings, especially GLSL.

You mean ingame in the options? I tried and it still fails. What's GLSL?

Again, thank you for your support and excuse me for my lack of knowledge

GLSL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL_Shading_Language basically what the fancy shaders for the game are written in and no they are not supported by Microsoft's DX11 the game uses Open Graphics like blender for it's graphical interface as it is cross platform ie: it works on Macs and Linux so we do not have to code three different ways to support these platforms it was developed by Silicon graphics a long time ago then Open sourced from the crash log you posted your driver supports version 4.1.10527 which should be alright though I notice that you also have a INTEL GPU as well which is enabled that may be the issue as Intel's OpenGL support sucks big time.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Hm, that graphics card should be fine enough.

Perhaps it is also an installation problem, sometimes the game crashes when it can't read data from the disk or some directory. This has happened before when people changed the username, did some upgrade, renamed directories or similar things. Could try to reinstall, perhaps to a different directory.

• Like 1

I already did all this. I changed the username, disabled all graphics (shadows etc), put the sound to zero. I tried I installing to different directories - to the default setting, to C and so on. I even redownloaded the Torrent and did it all again.

is there anything useful in the crashfiles?

Someone with windows and visual studio 2013 might open that binary crash dump and figure out what was the last call in 0ad before it crashed and from that postulate what must have happened. The textual file doesn't contain anything besides your system info which looks fine. Perhaps upload a mainlog.html too after a crash.

Must be something specific to your system, probably OS installation. Especially following of the user change, I'd go with checking directory permissions, in particular for the config, cache, logs, replay and root directory of 0ad http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths.

• 2 weeks later...

@fritzmyname Sorry for the delayed answer

Here is the call stack for your crash:

Spoiler

>	atioglxx.dll!690c7b3d()	Unknown
 	[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for atioglxx.dll]	
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CPostprocManager::ApplyBlurDownscale2x(unsigned int inTex, unsigned int outTex, int inWidth, int inHeight) Line 249	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CPostprocManager::ApplyBlur() Line 351	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CPostprocManager::ApplyPostproc() Line 502	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CRenderer::RenderSubmissions(const CBoundingBoxAligned & waterScissor) Line 1569	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CRenderer::RenderScene(Scene & scene) Line 1875	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CGameView::Render() Line 489	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!Render() Line 232	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CGame::ReallyStartGame() Line 322	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!ProgressiveLoad() Line 203	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!Frame() Line 308	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!RunGameOrAtlas(int argc, const char * * argv) Line 527	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!SDL_main(int argc, char * * argv) Line 567	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!main_utf8(int argc, char * * argv) Line 126	C
 	pyrogenesis.exe!wmain(int argc, unsigned short * * wargv, unsigned short * wenvp) Line 151	C
 	[External Code]	
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CallStartupWithinTryBlock() Line 364	C++
 	kernel32.dll!75b1336a()	Unknown

Looking at it and your graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 6650M) I'd suggest you update you graphic drivers and disable postprocessing and or GLSL, as it seems to be the reason for the crash.

Hope it helps.