All Activity
- Past hour
-
Photocraft : The opensource Photoshop
Nicolaus_von_Kues replied to Nicolaus_von_Kues's topic in Art Development
-
AidaRobi joined the community
-
Cowharlotte joined the community
- Today
-
Nicknovai joined the community
-
800 AD is a good date. Around that time were the Muslim conquests, the Carolingian Empire, and the consolidation of Roman Catholicism in the West. Then Catholicism replaced classical Romanism and syncretized with Christian and pagan traditions; Arianism also declined, and Europe began to take shape and become organized. In 800 AD Charlemagne was crowned Western Roman Emperor; this would be a slap in the face to the Byzantine Empress. The Byzantines longed to reconquer the old Western Roman Empire.
-
Duileoga started following Nicolaus_von_Kues
-
Photocraft : The opensource Photoshop
Nicolaus_von_Kues replied to Nicolaus_von_Kues's topic in Art Development
Earlier today I was talking to Lopess about these things. They are decompiling the software and reverse engineering it. -
chemhivers.com joined the community
-
I think this is the correct approach. The game doesn't give everyone everything they actually used, but a limited set consisting of the most representative units for a given civ. A large roster only implies most units will be constantly ignored, while those included have to be just sufficient to somewhat reproduce the most known tactics used by said civ.
- Yesterday
-
I think he means the reality of war, one of the main reasons not to have pregnant women or children in the game and be content with the present level of abstraction in that sense. Although none of this justifies pikes through walls
-
Sorta. I think the Iphicratean peltasts were like that.
-
Actually the modern game as we know it (not counting pong, which is a sports game lol) originates from TTRPGs like DnD, which in turn come from the work of authors such as Tolkien. Maybe your’s isn’t, I’ll have you know that I find reality very fun.
-
https://www.ospreypublishing.com/uk/osprey-blog/2026/roman-cavalry-helmets/ Battle helmets began to evolve in the 2nd century AD, adopting what has become known as the pseudo-Attic form. An example from Theilenhofen (Germany) even incorporated a stylized moulded feather crest atop the bowl. Although still a copper-alloy sheathing over a ferrous core, they now imitated the classical Attic style of helmet in the actual bowl, although cheek pieces changed little in their form and decoration. Tinning was still used to emphasize the details of the underlying brass, so it might be said that battle helmets had changed while remaining essentially the same. The Later Principate saw further developments, with another conservative throw-back form, the pseudo-Corinthian helmet, becoming popular for cavalry. These changes in design probably owe more to fashion than to changing needs, since the cavalry helmets of the Early, High and Late Principates are essentially the same: one-piece bowl, decorative skinning and independent hinged cheek-pieces. The pseudo-Corinthian form aped the larger cheek pieces of contemporary infantry helmets, however, and ultimately fused them into a single visor, leaving a T-shaped opening for eyes and mouth, as with a helmet from Heddernheim (Germany). It was then a short step for the two types of helmet – battle and face-mask – to reunite. Replacing cheek pieces with a visor on the pseudo-Corinthian type of battle helmet made it a simple matter to add a removable face mask into the T-shaped opening and, thus, two types became one with the hybrid Pfrondorf (Germany) helmet.
-
Five errors, bugs, or just weird things
wowgetoffyourcellphone replied to Thalatta's topic in Bug reports
Right. We are delighting in the challenge. The strategy. Competition. The history. For many, history is their "Fandom." Killing and destruction isn't the point. The drama is the point. Lessons learned and relearned. Achievement and politics. -
They were used alongside more complex siege engines. Maybe could be an option available at phase 2. I think at least more civs without siege towers or catapults could have them.
-
I could not agree more and this, indeed, cannot be underlined enough. The game is supposed to be fun to play like solving a complex puzzle, just with way nicer graphics and more axes of freedom. Real war is never fun, for no-one.
-
@ManasManushyathanks for your initiative! When addressing Atlas itself, could you also make Atlas usable by external tools? That would be absolutely awesome! Here is a little wishlist of changes I would love to see: Pass the game’s command line through to Atlas Write a small status file and set an exit code. Open the game’s archives with read sharing, if nothing depends on exclusivity. (I don’t know why they are opened deny-read) Please have a look at the attached proposal document. I cannot and will not touch the sources myself as I am not a SW developer, hence don't want ot pollute the code basis (I am only using vibe-coding to define tools around Atlas using Anthropic Claude Opus 5.5/Sonnet 5.5). Still, if you agree, I'd ask Claude to provide change proposals for indiviual code sections (based on 0.29 SVN) for your review. Please let me know! Thanks and best regards, Grautvornix atlas-external-control-proposal.md
-
Perhaps with incendiary units. Someone throwing torches or immolating themselves with amphorae of oil
-
@ManasManushya Oh! Let me know if I can test it out
-
That would be excellent. Also, ranged units defending with daggers. Speaking of which, there was also skirmisher infantry that was used for close combat, right?
-
Not in a satisfactory way yet, and I personally don't support everyone having them—not as a siege unit; they serve more as a substitute for the lack of better siege equipment.
-
IIRC, grapejuice's overhaul mod adds secondary weapons to missile units (mostly because they have limited ammo)
-
I'd like to see if there can be automatic spear throw before melee. For thureos units, Romans, Gauls, Iberians, Germans.
-
Something similar could be implemented in vanilla as optional (it's a mod, @Nicolaus_von_Kues). For example, on top of having units switching weapons like now (Immortals at least), doing so with a modifier (CTRL?) could "lock it", activating automatic switching according to range. Doing the same when producing units could then be the shortcut for "Activate Auto-Queue", and in that way it could be done per unit and not in general, like that button works now.
-
It's good to know that that ticket has been given continuity.
-
Photocraft : The opensource Photoshop
Thalatta replied to Nicolaus_von_Kues's topic in Art Development
Now they have to do the same with Homeworld: Cataclysm (later Emergence) and include it in the Homeworld Remastered Collection.
-
Latest Topics
