All Activity
- Past hour
-
Wintelf95 joined the community
-
For a DE style wonder one of the palaces of the Neapolis could sort of potray a transition to a different cultural stage (which is interesting if the wonder is supposed to unlock phase IV). I think those towns could at least be used for buildings like walls and towers if the Scythians have them (IMO nomad civs could still have access to defensive buildings if they used them, but perhaps later ingame and only through a technology)
- Today
-
Implementing forces in Unit Motion (HELP WANTED)
Atrik replied to Atrik's topic in Game Development & Technical Discussion
It is kind of the case depending on how you look at it : We could say that units aren't actually pushed, they just look at every neighbor that look too close to them, then they move away from them. Consuming all forces they calculated, tells them where they have to go for this turn. So it's them actually moving away.. Well since all that is a bit some abstraction of physical events probably there are as many way to phrase it as you want. Edit : I meant is that the pushing range is already some kind of way to communicate to units to move away. But maybe if you wanted to add one that apply only to allies but further then the normal push one, it could be a good idea for example for rams where you want them to push allies but enemy can still block the way. It's a good idea. Edit 2: Now I have regret dropping my initial approach about a forward area in front of units used for charging, that would be maybe a few lines of codes to just make it possible to apply to allies only... I'm glad for the involvement, it shows that this is an interesting topic and that many things will sprout out of it. In fact, a big highlight of this project is that it will be easy, even from a mod, to plug in forces into UnitMotion. Examples : weather, spells (attractions, repulsion)... -
Implementing forces in Unit Motion (HELP WANTED)
nifa replied to Atrik's topic in Game Development & Technical Discussion
ok, another random guess: Maybe we could use an additional force, where an idle unit clears the path for an allied moving unit, before they are colliding, when it's blocking the way? The blocking unit would just slighty move to the side, but only if there is space available -
Implementing forces in Unit Motion (HELP WANTED)
Thalatta replied to Atrik's topic in Game Development & Technical Discussion
I see, tangential forces would need friction to act. And I guess including that might cause a bunch of other problems, like units getting quite stuck. -
Implementing forces in Unit Motion (HELP WANTED)
Atrik replied to Atrik's topic in Game Development & Technical Discussion
Like a simplification that doesn't account for friction? -
Help Wanted. Export to sprite sheet.
Nicolaus_von_Kues replied to Boston's topic in Tutorials, references and art help
There was a guy named Enkeli who knew how to do that for AOE II. https://www.indiegogo.com/es/projects/enkelikuoleman/rise-of-kings-medieval-warfare He knows how to convert 3D models to Sprite models. -
Implementing forces in Unit Motion (HELP WANTED)
Thalatta replied to Atrik's topic in Game Development & Technical Discussion
I see. I wonder if increasing on-center repulsion range (to leave free self-alignment rotation) could have been a way out of that. Btw, I noticed that in your code you mention "a circular body is always struck through its centre", I guess this is some non-physical simplification since you might care more about just rotating elongated objects? -
Cimbri clubman raider decaying health
Nicolaus_von_Kues replied to Flavius Stilicho's topic in Delenda Est
If you've ever played with the militia in AoE III, you'll know that they're only there to raise a defense army very quickly and they die easily. It's the same here. https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Militiaman -
Implementing forces in Unit Motion (HELP WANTED)
Atrik replied to Atrik's topic in Game Development & Technical Discussion
But right now a collision is only detected once for a pair. I imagine this idea would require to do two. I did a quick attempt for ellipse. It wasn't going in the right direction so I dropped it. Thinking about it I think I can explain why it's a bad idea : ellipses are too good to tile up a given space regardless of if the shapes are aligned or not, creating interlocking patterns. A drawing not at all accurate but to give the idea : For the same area, the ellipses can compress easier regardless of orientation. Whereas the rectangles force a spacing. And there corner impacts actually helps keep it that way. Really? Where can I get it? -
I don't know if it's already been posted, but you can listen to the audio in English. The platform here doesn't offer that option. https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSbfNLmvn/ I uploaded a small part of the video to TikTok.
-
By the way, I think this one is in the mod but only with green feathers from the wings to the wings; there is another version of this bird with yellow plumage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_macaw I don't know if @Lopess can confirm.
-
Boston started following Help Wanted. Export to sprite sheet.
-
Hi 0AD community, I'm making a game engine under Creative Commons. With permission, I'd like to use graphics from 0AD. My game uses 2D sprite sheets. I'm no artist, but I'm willing to pay for a detailed tutorial on how to convert from 3D assets to 2D sprite sheets. I'd also like to be able to export the shadows cast by the the objects onto the ground plane. Any takers? Boston https://bbrooks193.blogspot.com/2021/12/maths-game.html
-
Implementing forces in Unit Motion (HELP WANTED)
nifa replied to Atrik's topic in Game Development & Technical Discussion
I thought the defender is that one who's movement gets influenced by the attacker. So when two units collide they are both on the same time attacker and defender, depending on which movement is calculated. -
I don't know if they'll be in any mod.
-
Implementing forces in Unit Motion (HELP WANTED)
Thalatta replied to Atrik's topic in Game Development & Technical Discussion
Since those wouldn't really solve sliding against a wall, what about ellipses? The equation is not that much more complicated than for circles (which are a particular case of them), but maybe many things have to be changed... -
Implementing forces in Unit Motion (HELP WANTED)
Atrik replied to Atrik's topic in Game Development & Technical Discussion
Well the shape is taken from what already existed in templates, and they can only be rectangles or circles (not related to 'solids' and non-'solids', here it's just the 'footprint' => exactly like buildings, they can be either rectangles or circles). Also the rectangle is better for code simplicity. Also "attacker" in this case is a bit vague because it means fastest unit of the two who collide i guess. But that would make things super complicated -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aridoamerica Aridoamerica
-
Implementing forces in Unit Motion (HELP WANTED)
nifa replied to Atrik's topic in Game Development & Technical Discussion
What if it used other geometric shapes, like a triangle e.g.? Or maybe even different shapes for the "attacker" and the "defender"? Like a triangle elephant pushing a rectangular elephant, the later would turn out of the way faster? -
The other important thing about another post is getting rid of surplus units. The units could also return to normal civilian status.
-
War crimes - default settings in 0AD
Nicolaus_von_Kues replied to Gurken Khan's topic in Gameplay Discussion
You're referring to this post, my good friend. -
War crimes - default settings in 0AD
Nicolaus_von_Kues replied to Gurken Khan's topic in Gameplay Discussion
It was ragadast. @raga -
Regarding "construction of 100-traders long "lines" of caravans", "just looks bad": totally agree, and have proposed solutions a couple of times. Regarding "markets now generate income at a fixed rate": I was thinking about it to emulate "local trade". The "logarithmic" idea is interesting, quite different from what I was in principle thinking for a new system, while I don't agree much with "garrison workers in your markets to leverage full efficiency", it seems a waste of units.
-
There was an idea of selling slaves, but there was never one of selling ships or units. Except for donating units
-
Latest Topics
