Changing lobby pseudonym

Yekaterina

Another way to solve identification problem: give everyone an ID number and a public name which can be changed. You can recognise everyone by their ID but they have the  freedom to identify themselves as whatever.

IMG_20220819_005847.thumb.jpg.420e62afc3c3af55d1b0b5d8b34d60e5.jpg

I can change the name and profile photo as I wish but the ID cannot change, nor the QR code.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sevda said:

Another way to solve identification problem: give everyone an ID number and a public name which can be changed. You can recognise everyone by their ID but they have the  freedom to identify themselves as whatever.

IMG_20220819_005847.thumb.jpg.420e62afc3c3af55d1b0b5d8b34d60e5.jpg

I can change the name and profile photo as I wish but the ID cannot change, nor the QR code.

this can be introduced in the game, changing name and maintain ID. I think i did this in a dummy mod i was working on. Allowing users to change names is easier to integrate but this can also increase impersonation. I have a mod that works fine for this feature; but eg.- i can my name to your name "Sevda" whiles you were offline - It will be successful and my name will show Sevda in the lobby. When the real Sevda tries to login with the same name he will get a message saying "user already logged in". I dont know how this can help reduce smurfing but if somehow it does, then i guess there should be limit. Social media is completely different from the game , other RTS games allows u to rename ofc but they have a way to prevent players from abusing the rename feature - they are encouraged to buy an asset like a rename card or something or there's a time limit. I guess limitation should do if its ever considered to be added @Sevda 669938059_Screenshot2022-08-19163521.thumb.png.4acd7aca1d6c5d996de29368fcad8982.png

Case where you try to change name to an already logged in player:

image.thumb.png.a1de9577f6eb36e42b5b7309701094ed.png

When the player is offline, you can rename to their name ( but cant take their ratings data since playerId renames unchanged). Maybe there can be a workaround to prevent people to changing to an already existing names regardless of either they online or not

Edited by rossenburg
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, go2die said:

@rossenburgyou mean that single command which anyone can raise and was already discussed in other topics? .-) Funny.. That is real achievement of big developer.

Engine.LobbySetNick("new_name")`

Further you already know with such change you will not be authetificated and able to play hosted games ... so I would expect you offer littlle more then theorethical bla bla.. 

that wasn't my point. I'm trying to let @Sevda know how things will look like incase there is an agreement on a rename feature.

Edited by rossenburg
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, go2die said:

Further you already know with such change you will not be authetificated and able to play hosted games ... so I would expect you offer littlle more then theorethical bla bla.. 

this isn't what i mean. Aside that when your id is maintained you can host a game. Your changed name only displays in lobby. I used this to demonstrate how things will work i did not say is the best way to implement it. Also, There is a way to change name permanently - which isnt the point here, he made a suggestion and wanted to let him know how things will look 

Edited by rossenburg

18 minutes ago, go2die said:

If you want to support multi-names it is clear you have to keep some meta-login (or unique login per user) either generated random ui, or keep original one, to avoid impersonation ... no other solution exist :banger:

what makes you think "no other solution exist" ? :) Well, since you seem to comment like you know everything and suppressing the point im trying to make,  i will keep my solution to myself :) 

Edited by rossenburg
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...