General questions about Transifex

During my activities as German translator, I came up with some questions that I would like to ask the team and the community:

• There are "QA checks" advertised in Transifex. Can we acitvate them or is this only for paid users? (assuming 0 A.D. does not have a paid subscription there)
  • Is there someone in the official team who looks after Transifex in general? Back in the day, leper and Gallaecio did things like answering questions, processing issues (Transifex has a "raise issue" funtion) etc. They have both left, as far as I know.
  • Is it possible to see statistics who translated how much? In the German translation team, there are literally hundreds of people and I'm sure many have never translated a single phrase. I would like to kick these and for this, I would need statistics.
  • How are the "resources" in Transifex determinded by which strings are grouped? The distribution of strings looks a bit like it was made way back and then everyone forgot about it. What I'm trying to say is that maybe a rearrangement might make sense. There are some small groups that could be combined and large groups that could be split.
  • How do I raise acutal issues with strings? A recent example is two strings "Great Tower" and "GreatTower". Both are in the file simulation/templates/structures/han/defense_tower_great.xml. It seems the script that pulls translations from the source code adds a second translation that was not supposed to be translated in the first place. There are many such cases where I suspect this. Should I compile a list and post it on the forum? I'm not a coder and although I can point at issues, I don't know how to solve them.
  • Like 2

Hi @Salesome

1. IIRC we have some QA checks already that check for missing parenthesis or numbers. There is probably a way to make them better, but I don't remember whether they are on a language or on a project basis.

2. I'm still looking at it from time to time, to fix some issues and to process language requests. @Gallaecio is still around, but he has really little time indeed.

3. There seem to be some statistics, https://transifex.github.io/openapi/index.html#tag/Activity-Reports/paths/~1team_activity_reports_async_downloads/post but I don't know if they make it more accessible than through code. Why do you want to kick people out? For reviewers I understand, but the others? Do you have some plan to build a close team?

4. The organisation is done by the extractor scripts, that parses a JSON file to know where to put the extracted strings. Recently the campaign project was added. More can be added I suppose although I would assume that might make the existing translations disappear.

5. GreatTower is a visible class, while Great Tower is the specific name, iirc we can't put spaces in visible class names. Maybe they shouldn't be translated. @Silier, @bb_ @Freagarach

https://github.com/0ad/0ad/blob/3faa301ee914b82b1bfd89f2e89bc6392e244997/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/templates/structures/han/defense_tower_great.xml#L34

3 hours ago, Stan` said:

5. GreatTower is a visible class, while Great Tower is the specific name, iirc we can't put spaces in visible class names. Maybe they shouldn't be translated. @Silier, @bb_ @Freagarach

Well they should be translated as users will see them in tooltips. I think translators are free to give spaces there as they need, If I remember correctly there are some places in code that use spaces as OR or AND operator, not sure which one so probably not possible.

3 hours ago, Stan` said:

3. There seem to be some statistics, https://transifex.github.io/openapi/index.html#tag/Activity-Reports/paths/~1team_activity_reports_async_downloads/post but I don't know if they make it more accessible than through code. Why do you want to kick people out? For reviewers I understand, but the others? Do you have some plan to build a close team?

Oh yes, there is some tab with reports but only for premium

Regarding the classes, here is an excerpt from the Identity.js component:

Spoiler

If the classes need spaces, underscores will be replaced with spaces.

But that seems to have been forgotten since long. (And I haven't checked whether the GUI actually still handles this.)

The structure is defined in https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/l10n/messages.json.

I happen to have committed some fixes to reported issues just yesterday. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the imput.

Concerning the "QA checks", I know that the system checks parantheses etc. It also regularly makes false alarms for glossary entries in German because we tend to inflect words, but that's something else entirely.

I was talking about something different. There is a (relatively) new button in Transifex with "QA Checks". When you click on it, the message in the attachment pops up. I'm interested if you know in what that is and whether we can use this.

I don't intend to throw out active translators. If the team thinks that it is not a good idea to remove inactive translators, then I won't do it - I was just curious.

It's good to know that someone reads the raised issues in Transifex. Then I will use the feature more often.

QA Checks.png

• 2 months later...
Hello Stanislas,

Thank you for reaching out and for your interest! 

Regarding your question, this is not offered in the open source tier, you'll need to sign up to one of our paid plans and you can then have it as an addon.

In case you have more questions, don't hesitate to reach out!
Best,
--
Lena Stathakopoulou | Business Development Representative 

lena@transifex.com | Schedule a call

Blog| We are hiring| Join Our Community!

@Salesome So nope.

• 1 month later...