How to handle large amounts of units (incl. collecting women) and providing coops with precise info?

Ceres

Hello!

Is there already some general hints section I am not aware of that deals with how to handle large amounts of units (incl. collecting women)? In the help section, I found these hotkeys mentioned:

• Double Left Click on unit/structure: Select all of your units/structures of the same kind on the screen (even if they are different ranks).
  • Triple Left Click on unit/structure: Select all of your units/structures of the same kind and the same rank on the screen.
  • Alt + Double Left Click on unit/structure: Select all your units/structures of the same kind on the entire map (even if they are different ranks).
  • Alt + Triple Left Click on unit/structure: Select all your units/structures of the same kind and rank on the entire map.
  • Ctrl + 1 (and so on up to Ctrl + 0): Create control group 1 (to 0) from the selected unit(s)/structure(s).
  • 1 (and so on up to 0): Select the units/structures in control group 1 (to 0).

Now I wonder if you guys use these, or if you have other (additional?) pro hints how to cope with many different units?

My main problem is that I very often lose track of where my units currently are - especially when being occupied at different spots. And when plying with my kids (we use mumble for conversation), we often hear each other providing information like "Watch out, your ships are being attacked at that harbour!", questioned by "Which harbour do you mean?" :blush:

Thanks for kindly sharing your thoughts with me 0 A.D. beginner. :thumbsup:

Well, for one of my most important tools I don't even know what it's called: drawing a rectangle with the mouse to catch the units that are inside; very handy then: holding [ctrl] when clicking on a group icon in the selection, i.e. the women, will un-select only those units.

But mostly I use control-groups, if I want a sub-set of one I then click on the icon in the selection.

Spoiler

My control groups:

0 = source (buildings producing units for the front, very handy to adjust the target area while you're progressing)

1 = (blue) cav

2 = front-line pedestrians

3 = healers

4 = champions/hero

5= metal gatherers

6 = stone gatherers

7 = (scout)

8 = 'tower-guys' (handful of guys who storm along with the main task of occupying captured buildings)

9 = special (like eles)

If your kids know what an analogue clock looks like I think those numbers are very handy for directions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Well, for one of my most important tools I don't even know what it's called: drawing a rectangle with the mouse to catch the units that are inside; very handy then: holding [ctrl] when clicking on a group icon in the selection, i.e. the women, will un-select only those units.

But mostly I use control-groups, if I want a sub-set of one I then click on the icon in the selection.

Reveal hidden contents

My control groups:

0 = source (buildings producing units for the front, very handy to adjust the target area while you're progressing)

1 = (blue) cav

2 = front-line pedestrians

3 = healers

4 = champions/hero

5= metal gatherers

6 = stone gatherers

7 = (scout)

8 = 'tower-guys' (handful of guys who storm along with the main task of occupying captured buildings)

9 = special (like eles)

If your kids know what an analogue clock looks like I think those numbers are very handy for directions.

area selection

• Thanks 2