Civ: Scythians

wowgetoffyourcellphone

• 1 month later...

Some feedback (one or 2 of these i have mentioned before):

• allow the CC to train while moving. (both civs)
  • don't allow cavalry to build.
  • buildings can only be constructed in your territory (thus carts can only be unpacked in own territory)
  • Allow Ovoos in p1, exchange their stone trickle for a defense/damage bonus within 60 m.
    • Ovoos instead also provide a territory root, the idea is that you can place one and then move the cc elsewhere. This allows a lot of flexibility while maintaining the core feature of territory influence.
    • I would also move the stone tech back to the storehouse.
  • split the stable and corral, and give the stable a small structure (perhaps for keeping supplies dry). I think the market/food deposit hybrid is fine for xiongnu.
  • I don't really like the maiden archers and cav archers. Being free means a risk of some spammy gameplay. Also it might be confused with normal women. I'd say just let the starting women be fairly strong, which makes sense because of the lack of towers and how weak the buildings are.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:
  • allow the CC to train while moving. (both civs)

I don't see why not. Should it be able to shoot too? 

• don't allow cavalry to build.

I did this to emphasize cavalry more, but to not hamstring the civ elsewise. Realistically, they really wouldn't have a distinction between "infantry" and "cavalry." For nomads, they are one in the same. They would rarely, if ever, fight on foot, but if they did they would ride their horse to the place of combat, then dismount. Again, this would be rare and 99% of the time they would absolutely fight on horseback. The infantry are included only as a way to fill out the roster with needed classes to keep them competitive. 

• buildings can only be constructed in your territory (thus carts can only be unpacked in own territory)

Hmm, I was trying to represent nomadism in the simplest way possible. Also, I thought we were going to reduce or eliminate their dependency on territory.

Allow Ovoos in p1, exchange their stone trickle for a defense/damage bonus within 60 m.

• Ovoos instead also provide a territory root, the idea is that you can place one and then move the cc elsewhere. This allows a lot of flexibility while maintaining the core feature of territory influence.
  • I would also move the stone tech back to the storehouse.

Integrating the Ovoo into their expansion meta could work. Not sure I like the effort needed to pack up a CC, move it, then unpack, then build an Ovoo, then move on, though. 

About the defense bonus, I believe the Scythian Ovoo already does this. You like? 

• split the stable and corral, and give the stable a small structure (perhaps for keeping supplies dry). I think the market/food deposit hybrid is fine for xiongnu.

The current Stable/Corral is pretty loaded up, isn't it? I just didn't have a model to work with the distinguish the two, so combined them.

• I don't really like the maiden archers and cav archers. Being free means a risk of some spammy gameplay. Also it might be confused with normal women. I'd say just let the starting women be fairly strong, which makes sense because of the lack of towers and how weak the buildings are.

For EA, I think the female citizens could maybe be upgradeable to Maiden Headhunters, with similar cost and stats as a mercenary archer. They can also have a ranged attack by default, like DE's Xion female citizens. 

In DE, they aren't really free, but of course wouldn't cost Glory in EA. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I don't see why not. Should it be able to shoot too? 

Yes, but maybe not garrison. Not 100% sure on that.

Realistically, they really wouldn't have a distinction between "infantry" and "cavalry." For nomads, they are one in the same.

yes, but I'm afraid the distinction and their roles are quite a core structure to the game, and in order for the nomads to fit in they must have some adherence to the standards of the other civs. Right now it feels like a different game almost. The same goes for territory dependence.

Integrating the Ovoo into their expansion meta could work. Not sure I like the effort needed to pack up a CC, move it, then unpack, then build an Ovoo, then move on, though. 

if they are quick to build, it could work out nicely. I could make a proof of concept sometime.

For EA, I think the female citizens could maybe be upgradeable to Maiden Headhunters, with similar cost and stats as a mercenary archer.

This already sounds better. One risk could be an expansive women boom turning into a flood of archers with an upgrade, so maybe it would be better to promote to this unit? I envision a successful defense from a raid turning into a counterattack using the headhunters. 

This also adds some nice risk and reward elements.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Reworked nomad territory system:

Ovoos available in p1, they provide a small territory root and may be built quickly in neutral territory and own territory. The ovoo also serves as a stone dropsite and provides an armor aura. They are weak structures.

CC can train while moving

Both nomads recieve a civ bonus "nomadic structures" that gives -25% hp to buildings but reduces their territory decay to enemy and gaia by 5x, allowing the structures to survive a long time without a territory root.

Maybe it would be good to allow the packed CC to still provide 20 pop, and allow houses, storehouses, farmsteads, and farms to be constructed in neutral territory, but still decay.

All of this is designed to provide a more flexible spin on the territory system, rather than throw it out entirely for the nomads.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...