[Gameplay] SVN Balance Feedback

scythetwirler

Suggestion 2

The alpha 18 release was focused on hero and champs. In the SVN game that i did, it seems too.

Some heros have local auras, other have global auras. I have no problem with that.

I think Bouddicca hero is really OP : global aura, +5 champs attack, +2 champs capture, +25% speed.
It can be nice to reduce a bit the speed upgrade.

Philipp2 is a bit OP too.

Leonidas have a really short aura and it would be nice that the patch http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3507 was commited

Edited by fatherbushido

Suggestion 3

Early camel rush can really be annoying...

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/17172

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/17173

fixed that a bit.

Imo the effectiveness of the early camel rush is more related to speed and range.

Increasing a bit the range of the cc (or decreasing the range of the caml) can be a nice idea.

• Like 1

I think cavalry archers should be more expensive, they are too efficient in the early game as they are very hard to counter except with more cavalry archers. Perhaps a tech to reduce their range until the town phase?

Another thing is walls and palisades, which are imo waaay too expensive, given their limitations: cannot stop LOS, cannot stop arrows, need to be built in territory. Since we also cannot build towers close to each other, it is very difficult to efficiently protect a dropsite or close an area off in the early game. And building a small palisade wall costs a TON of wood. Actual walls are probably too expensive too, but I never tried them.

Another possibility would be to allow placing wall foundations out of territory, but only allow building if they are in territory, and make walls expand territory. So you could actually build a wall beyond your territory, but it would rightfully be somewhat expensive (though walls are imo still too expensive).

• Like 2

The walls and palisades were penalized is because their excessive use but now , with capture feature , is the only way to protect the unprotected defenses like towers or other buildings. Have huge territory can be a handicap. With 5 rams you can take down these expensive walls and remember not only are expensive, are slow to build. So this need rebalance again.

Ok with idea the buildings outside territory only not military, like Delenda est mod. Obviously this not count for exceptions.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Penalty? Walls in 0 A.D. take far too long to construct in most situations, and compared to most walls such as in Age of Kings in which they cost 2 wood for palisades and 5 stone for a stone wall. Compared to these rates coupled with the fact that there are very few chokepoints in 0 A.D. games means that walls are impractical. Age of Mythology priced them at 3 gold. Surely the walls could be more inexpensive in 0 A.D.

• Like 3

Make walls less expensive (or add tech to make them cheaper) and add some feature to make building them easier.

1. Walls (and other building) can be place over straggler trees (add flag to tree template).

2. Builders automatically spread out to the length of the wall to build it instead of starting from only one end.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

Ok following the the concept 0. AD is supposed you are forming colonies and settlements in 0 AD the years are slowly not like AoK, that why some buildings take time, may be some day we get a mode Turbo like AoK and AOM (?)

In this concept the settlers must be try to build farms and storehouses , etc, outside of territory, this will be the first settlements outside a capital province( 2nd and third phase). But the danger to live outside a territory frontier is the easy to be razed, sacked and captured by a enemy troops, or simple, be massacred by reading troops.

In the trac I read about idea the farms if is not working or people work in them( farming), lose HP.

About walls, our walls are different from AOE franchise , because the turrets shots arrows and you can have units in to the top, firing arrows, stone and javelins

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Ok following the the concept 0. AD is supposed you are forming colonies and settlements in 0 AD the years are slowly not like AoK, that why some buildings take time, may be some day we get a mode Turbo like AoK and AOM (?)

In this concept the settlers must be try to build farms and storehouses , etc, outside of territory, this will be the first settlements outside a capital province( 2nd and third phase). But the danger to live outside a territory frontier is the easy to be razed, sacked and captured by a enemy troops, or simple, be massacred by reading troops.

In the trac I read about idea the farms if is not working or people work in them( farming), lose HP.

About walls, our walls are different from AOE franchise , because the turrets shots arrows and you can have units in to the top, firing arrows, stone and javelins

True. In 0 A.D. the walls are stronger than the cheapo walls in other game. I think the towers can still be 100 stone, but the long sections can be super cheap. Either way, the game should still:

1. Walls (and other building) can be place over straggler trees (add flag to tree template).

2. Builders automatically spread out to the length of the wall to build it instead of starting from only one end.

I've tried some things with palisades and walls, without regards for other stuff. Some metagame comments first:

-It may very well be too easy to defend in the early game but that is not because palisades are too cheap or anything. It's imo because CCs have too big a range and too many arrows when garrisoned, and garrisoning is too quick since units move too fast to do real damage when raiding, as villagers are too strong. Women really ought to be a glass cannon for resources.

-Palisades should be quick to set up, relatively dirt cheap, and relatively easy to destroy with a good enough force. Their aim is to stop raids in some parts of the map in the early game, not turtle.

-Walls should imo be slow to build and very resilient except against siege units. Cost seems mostly good right now: they're expensive, but not insanely so. They should be useful to completely wall yourself in, or to completely block a pass or something, particularly when they are well defended (towers garrisoned and units on wall). But since walls don't block arrows, nor defense tower arrows, this makes them slightly OP right now.

That being said, I've changed palisades to be slightly cheaper and faster to build, while making them less resilient, particularly to hack attacks. This means you can set them up quickly but 10 spearmen or 5 swordsmen will do a quick job of opening a wall. However it should stop archers pretty well (except for the range thing, again)

Stone walls I've made slower to build, but slightly cheaper. I've made them basically impervious to pierce attacks, and quite strong against hack attacks. This means a defended wall should mostly hold its own against melee units, even buffed champion swordsmen (it would probably take 30 at least to go through). However crush weapons such as rams make a quick job of those walls, even the Carthaginian ones.

I'll probably commit that change after A19.

• Like 1

The CC are too long range canbe nice unlock those potential with technologies in AoK the range of TC is the size of a farm.

In not sure with AoK but is more than that, may be 2 or 3 ( the farms are small in AOM) in AOE 3 each villager increases the attack power. I have references about this matter. In Other RTS don't have attack ( except EE 2).

Palisades same, may be need some technologies to unlock its potencial, like loom with female villagers.

The first phase cavalry explorer can't have that LOS ( other unit who need reveal it's the potencial to the each phase)( may be LOS unlock techonology like town watch inn AoK) can be shared with outpost.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 3 months later...