===[COMMITTED]=== Seleucid Structures

LordGood

LordGood. I like what you did with the roof of the Civic Center you posted. I'd keep that. Otherwise, the Seleucids should be mostly Hellenistic. Yes, the Eastern and rural areas of the Empire would look more "Persian", but the core of the empire was the Syrian Tetrapolis, 4 Hellenistic cities built by the Seleucid kings. The strength of the empire was in its new Hellenistic cities. It's hold over rural and Eastern areas was nominal only.

I don't think we should have too many civs that look alike. If they need to be Greek, then perhaps we should combine them and go back to a generic Greek civ with civ path choices. This is a game, not an exact record of history. I feel we might be somewhat detracting from that goal and leaning too much to the history side (which is still very important) if we have four civs with essentially the same buildings. It might be better to not even feature the Seleucids. If we really want four Greek-style civs, then I think we should plan it a bit better. If all the building sets were used four times like in AoK, we could get away with it. As it stands, I feel we have "watered down" the Greek civilizations in our game compared to the rich uniqueness of our other civs.

Just some thoughts. I could be totally off. :)

I don't think they are watered down at all. They all play very differently. If you're talking about visually, then maybe. But we can continue to differentiate them visually going forward. Greek architecture is rich enough that we can make them look different while still maintaining a realistic look for each. Seleucids should look realistically like a Hellenistic civ. We can still have unique shapes and looks for their buildings, but overall they should look Greek. There has to be a million ways to make a "Greek" looking house or barracks.

OK, fair enough. I just want them to be unique to the point that I can tell which civ they are with just a glance at the building set. :)

That is definitely possible while still maintaining a "Greek" look. :) Look at all other other RTS games with a Greek faction and you'll see each one looks "different" while still maintaining the "Greekness" of the architecture. :)

• 4 months later...

Glad to see you back LordGood!!! :)

I like the defense tower concept of the first drawing!

I'm thinking, how about adding some arches to the architectural components of seleucids? It would make some difference with the typical greek architecture style, as seen in these references I found recently: http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17651&p=293335

hehe glad to help!

Those arches are interesting though, they dont seem to fit persian or greek architectural norms.

Later period construction perhaps?

I was thinking we could have fun with those spiral fluted columns around the Apamea.

The structure is found in the city of Hatra:

Hatra was founded as an Assyrian city by the Seleucid Empire[1] some time in the 3rd century BCE. A religious and trading centre of the Parthian empire, it flourished during the 1st and 2nd centuries BCE.[2] Later on, the city became the capital of possibly the first Arab Kingdom in the chain of Arab cities running from Hatra, in the northeast, via Palmyra, Baalbek and Petra, in the southwest.

[...]

The city was famed for its fusion of Greek, Mesopotamian, Syrian and Arabian pantheons,

From this page towards the bottom: http://www.i-acci.org/News/naynawa.htm

Here's a better pic of the building "Picture", the columns are indeed greek, but there's an arc in the front freize that is unusual of typical greek architecture. I thougth it could be a trait to further differentiate Seleucids from the three main greek civs.

And yes, the spiral columns around Apamea are a nice "twist" to the typical greek architecture ^_^

Both concepts look awesome. The first one I'm thinking could be used as temple (as it was the one in Hatra) or even as civic centre with some modifications.

The fortress looks incredible. It gives the impression of being too big though, like a wonder maybe, but the concept is strong and menacing.

Not sure about the crenelations, but surely it would give the structures more oriental look to it. Not strong opinion about them until I see them in a building ^_^

Good work so far.

BTW, look what I found! http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d2/Tetrapil%C3%B3n_-_Afrodisias_-_02.jpg

Twisted columns + arched frieze. Seems we're on track! :D

Those Sketches are nice, can I start modelling some of them, or are you waiting for more ?

We can't start modelling until we have a texture pack ready, Stan.

Believe me I would be on it like white on rice if that wasn't the case ;P

It's much harder adding textures to finished models than it is developing the UVs at the same time.

Basically it should be half persian/ptol, half greek ?

Greek government and religious buildings, more Persian influence in the local structures, but still with greek architectural elements

no Egyptian influence

Who made the firsts ?

I'm not sure what you mean by this