[Random Map] Realistic Terrain Demo

FeXoR

As far as I understand, you want to be able to

(1) place a mercenary camp of a civ that fits geographically to that biome and

(2) the player to be able to train units of said civ

(3) while being able (or not?) to build buildings of said civ

To accomplish (1) you need to manually decide which template of which civ fits to the chosen design / current variables used by your map.

For (2) and (3), there are two options. Convince the team to revert that design decision, to prevent players from training units of the buildings civ and

building buildings of theĀ  civ of the units trained at captured structures.

Otherwise add stuff that is only used by your map and potentially some mod,

For (2) you would need to add new special structure templates for all mercenary camps you want to use, inherit the public mod one and replace the train list with the entities you want to be able to train there.

For (3), you would need to add new special unit templates and change the buildlist entry from {civ} to said civ, but that will be maintenance hell.

Edit: Or you make it easy and interesting to the public mod and place a biome specific structure (briton dock CC, ptol or sele military colony, roman entrenched army camp) and rely on the fact that the territory provided by that building and the females that can be trained there itself are valuable enough (and ignore that for the roman army camp).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elexis said:

For (2) and (3), there are two options. Convince the team to revert that design decision, to prevent players from training units of the buildings civ and

This would be the sanest way to go in the long run IMO, yes.
(Would be nice if design decisions with such huge impact would consider other fields like interesting map features (EDIT: And player's expectation and how to communicate that's not the case - because we have yet another rule that differs from the usual behavior - even if it then needs more exceptions to be added to work out.....) - maybe it was and considered to much freedom for players and map designers, not sure. But I haven't heard very convincing arguments yet)

However, I'm trying to create a map, not redesign 0 A.D. so I'll try military army camps, roman entrenched army camp and docks.

• 1 month later...

Mercenary camps are really nice but there are couple maps only that has it. If I remember correctly only Alphine Mountains (my favorite), Caledonia Meadows and one from DE has it aside from the Scenario ones. I think for the sake of enjoyment the ability of building structures (then train unique units)Ā other than your Civ allowed can be a choice from options. I know Multiplayer is not a good area for this but for Singleplayer it's really something IMO.

It was a little disappointment when you thought that with the absence of ability to convert units not implemented,Ā this feature of being able to build other buildings using captured units(by way "wololo")Ā and be able to make other types of units could have been an alternative but it was taken out. I know its cheating but we have different thoughts of how to enjoy the game.Ā 

In fairness I've been playing more multiplayer lately but the mechanics are not really strategic to enjoy. If you decently know the game, good micro, and most importantly fast/precise click you will be good and maybe enjoy.Ā The inclusion ofĀ mercenaries/camps and being able to train unique units of a captured structure could add some gameplay and enjoyment as well so why take it out?Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

BTW the Ā mercenary champion on the Gaul camp in the Alphine Mountains map has a long sword Briton champ and not a Fanatic:mellow:. On one area with a Briton house the mercenaries are Briton units but they can only build Gaul structuresĀ :P. This map is really nice and planning to build a Seleucid Empire in the middle and Briton in the South and Gauls in the East. One problem is I can't build a Briton CampĀ if the Briton mercenary can't build Briton structures. My only solution is to have a Briton enemy and wololo some units to build their structures. This map has a good chance for heavy battle using formations against 2 Hardest bots because there is aĀ space for open ground battle in the middle.Ā 

I noticed that after a couple minutes my log in disappears and I have to relog again. I have my user name and password rememberd but it's auto logout after a few minutes.Ā 

Edited by Servo

Hi all !

Not sure I should create a thread for such a little thing...

In the script below, you'll find a function which creates heightmaps, an alternative to diamonds square method. Smoothing is integrated in the function, and is scale based, not uniformly applied on all tiles. Maybe this could profit to someone.

More of it, you can reapply the function on parts of the map (with different parameters of course). In landscape-3, a rough mountain is surrounded with softier terrain.

Don't tell me painting and starting placement are really poor. Yeah, I know... I haven't yet fully scavenged FeXor great work, but I will soon !

landscape-1.png

landscape-2.png

landscape-3.png

aFractalDemo.zip

• Like 8

Hi all !

Looks better with some terrain painting and forests... thanks to the rendering engine and 0.A.D artists !

The script is far from complete and perfect for now (my first Javascript program !). That's why I don't give it, but I hope I'll can share rather soon a little library for use along with rmgen.

Friendly,

landscape-5.png

landscape-6.png

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Pyrophorus!

Nice to have you here!

Good idea to leave the mountains be mountains and place other textures and trees mainly in the flat areas (https://wildfiregames.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2017_06/landscape-5.png.716bfd128983f800e8d4764c4950f8e7.png)

In the other image I see you also paint cliffs differently. Very nice! (https://wildfiregames.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2017_06/landscape-6.png.07adebcd8324f282e308726057ec7396.png)

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing your progress with us ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...