Unit portrait pipeline

LordGood

Hi 'Good !

That's an interesting start. I suggest you re-make her face entirely, to make it less vertical and a bit more nice, less "scary"! :D

Also, I think the dress can be more white. Generally, your drawings are almost always too dark.

For the shape and expression of the face and the general woman look, maybe you could take inspiration from the beautiful poster of the (excellent) movie "Agora" :

AGORA.jpg

Fixed the Balearic slinger

That one is pretty good and not far from ready (for me). I like the stance and the face of the guy. You did a good job here.

That said, if you don't mind, some suggestions :

-Like in most of your paintings, it is way too dark on the face and on some parts of the clothes. Bring the light please!! :)

As examples, here are in-game icons made by Pureon, where the contrast and the light are very well balanced, working perfectly at small scale :

pnY8Mx1.jpg

If you scale down your picture, you will very hardly enjoy the face of the guy, because it's too dark on the left. Also, the rope of the weapon disappear too, because of the background color, too much similar.

-If the shield is supposed to be a circle-shaped one, then it needs some correction.

-About the background : I am wondering if this background is a good choice... Maybe it needs a slight texturing to avoid this super smooth aspect.

Oh it's not just the scaled up image, but the process

Its like I'm unlearning everything in Drawing 1 xP

Our professor would constantly tell us off if we had halos around our objects

and here I am intentionally putting halos around all my objects

eh

this serves a purpose though

haha

That definitely looks better.

Yes, it helps to focus on the unit itself. Removing the shield makes the picture clearer. BUT, now the halo looks too much a aura-like "halo", in my opinion. I suggest softening the halo (lower opacity) or making it larger around the unit, or changing the black background for a dark grey or brown, a bit like Pureon's icons.

LordGood, I like the picture of the elephant and its rider. Well drawn!

Also, can't wait to see the Balearic slinger with a clearer face :)

Grayed the background a bit

Yes, I prefer it like that. It feels more "daytime" :) and your drawing still appear clearly. I just notice that the stick hold by the man is the only part that doesn't appear. Maybe removing the dark halo behind it would fix that enough, as that stick is darker than the grey halo.