Age of Empires?

I am not an expert, but I don't think it can lead to legal problem if the models are not using original arts but just redone with similar look. There are similar examples also in commercial games, see e.g this:

Cloning the look would definitely come under being a derived work. If people want to work on this they can easily make it a mod, keeping things seperate from 0 A.D.

I am not an expert, but I don't think it can lead to legal problem if the models are not using original arts but just redone with similar look. There are similar examples also in commercial games, see e.g this:

https://www.youtube....h?v=MgOUqLvF49Y

Copyright issues meant the pacman ghosts were quickly removed for the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions. Check online ;)

If there aren't any legal issues with an AoE mod, I'm willing to continue making AoE-based 3d models (and redo the ones I already made once I have more experience). How do I redistribute the mod? Can I put it on the forum? Or do I use an online storage server (mediafire or something)?

If anyone wants to send in any other AoE - fan art models that can be used, please do! I can't do all of the AoE models on my own ;-)

If there aren't any legal issues with an AoE mod, I'm willing to continue making AoE-based 3d models (and redo the ones I already made once I have more experience). How do I redistribute the mod? Can I put it on the forum? Or do I use an online storage server (mediafire or something)?

If anyone wants to send in any other AoE - fan art models that can be used, please do! I can't do all of the AoE models on my own ;-)

There are legal issues, it is copyright infringement. It is hard to predict whether anyone would try and stop the project though. If you still wish to go ahead it would be better to not to upload the files to these forums.

hah i played AOE I when i was 6 :D And always hated the Pop Limit lol and the Catapults and Ballistas haha

But The Settlers4 were more funny to play ;) i think i played a whole year only this Game XD.

But let's don't talk about AOE in 0 A.D. ! 0 A.D. is his own and i like it very much cool Game which don't has to hide from AOE ;)

• 1 month later...

See heres the thing, what if better looking units are made or the orginal ones modified a bit.

The mod can be like a remake of AoE lolz Pretty cool.

How many agree?

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I think different rules apply in different countries but I think you are correct. In the music industry this is the way it works... The Verve lost all of the money in the US to the Rolling stones because they directly sampled an orchestration for Bitter Sweet Symphoney. If they would have recorded another orchestra this wouldn't have been a problem. The band Nirvana did get sued by Killing joke for stealing a a main riff for Come As You Are. though, so it is a kind of grey area.

Edited by greycat
  • Like 1