0 A.D. on YouTube

Mythos_Ruler

If we get triggers, we at least need a "Learn to Play" scenario that tells new players all of these things. I agree that a full campaign is too ambitious, but think about the first scenario you play in Age of Mythology - it teaches you how to move units, what buildings are available, how to attack etc.

• Like 1

The guy in #190 never figured out soldiers can build things too, nor did he figure out that they gathered resources. I am wondering if we can't force users to explore uses for citizen-soldiers by making the starting units be only citizen-soldiers, with no women.

Perhaps a kinder, gentler way of doing this is by having a tooltip pop up at the beginning of the every match whenever the user selects a citizen-soldier, saying something like "This hoplite is a citizen-soldier. He can fight enemies, but also gather resources and construct buildings. [OK]" and have a checkbox saying something like "Don't show me this again".

• Like 1

Perhaps a kinder, gentler way of doing this is by having a tooltip pop up at the beginning of the every match whenever the user selects a citizen-soldier, saying something like "This hoplite is a citizen-soldier. He can fight enemies, but also gather resources and construct buildings. [OK]" and have a checkbox saying something like "Don't show me this again".

I like this. We could do this for a lot of things for the player's first match.

I actually really like what Jonathan came up with. Why don't we make a few small changes and then have the 'Learn To Play' button autostart that scenario? It's adequate and it'll keep people from complaining/doing stupid things.

We could do multiple things. :)

I don't like the first launch auto tooltip thing as much. There are going to be plenty of players who come from AoE/AoM/C&C/RTW and don't need that type of micromanaging instruction. If someone is confused, they'll find the Learn To Play button - the place for all of that kind of thing. Perhaps on first launch we could have a splash screen that invites the user to explore the tutorial(s). I don't think an experienced player would be put off by that.

I don't like the first launch auto tooltip thing as much. There are going to be plenty of players who come from AoE/AoM/C&C/RTW and don't need that type of micromanaging instruction. If someone is confused, they'll find the Learn To Play button - the place for all of that kind of thing. Perhaps on first launch we could have a splash screen that invites the user to explore the tutorial(s). I don't think an experienced player would be put off by that.

I agree. Not everyone who does a clean installation will be first-time players either. Maybe they just got a new computer or cleaned up their harddrive.

I agree. Not everyone who does a clean installation will be first-time players either. Maybe they just got a new computer or cleaned up their harddrive.

But if we include a simple way of turning it off (a 'hide tooltips' button clickable on each of the first launch tooltips), I don't think it's so much of an issue.

I like Jeru's idea. Youtube shows many first timers not understanding the basics of 0 A.D.

The guy in #190 never figured out soldiers can build things too, nor did he figure out that they gathered resources. I am wondering if we can't force users to explore uses for citizen-soldiers by making the starting units be only citizen-soldiers, with no women.

His biggest problem was the population limit until he figured out that temples can raise it.

I don't know why he checked the description of all buildings except houses. :D

No one pays attention to these tips...

no one if you dont put Images, and forece to click it several times.

or force to view a embed video sequence of images. about Soldiers as Citizens, if dont make jazzy or startling, Plus Wb videos on page+ plus a PDF Manual with Strategies you don't change player's mind.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Add a tutorial scenario (once decent triggers have been implemented), even when I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the gameplay by just playing the game, I still play it once, just for fun.

If you haven't already, try the 'Introductory Tutorial' and 'Starting Economy Walkthrough' scenarios accessed from the 'Demo Maps' map filter. Let us know what you think here :)

Already played all of them xD

It's good, but not very ... you know ... seamless or something, and it shouldn't be in the demo maps, no one will find it there (but I guess it's just there until it's totally 'ready' to be put in the game)

We need a different map sort or launch a different window from the main menu or something.

• Silier featured this topic