Why do i get lag ?

Eae, recently i have noticed, that playing games, mostly 0 AD all of a sudden causes significant lag. Task manager claims, that CPU, RAM, Graphics Card are far from their respective limits. Cleaning my laptop from cookies /registry etc. as well as checking for a virus has not really helped. Do you have additional ideas what possible causes to check ?

Edited by MarcusAureliu#s

First maybe check if the game uses the right (dedicated) GPU.

From you description I suspect your antivir might be the cause; maybe you changed the one you were using or an update brings about this behavior. If it ~constantly checks the game's files & processes lags are likely. Maybe disable it for a test?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seeh said:

sound maybe funny for you @MarcusAureliu#s. but what you dont know. there some situations your really need to to this when you in development with 0ad. so its not so funny.

its just very classical advice, no offense or disrespect. The issue started several days ago, so many reboots were done meanwhile.

10 hours ago, MarcusAureliu#s said:

its just very classical advice, no offense or disrespect. The issue started several days ago, so many reboots were done meanwhile.

so. unsurprisingly this idea doesn't help. I can't think of anything else right now that might help. You've probably had a quick look at the log files.

• Like 1

Just curious, roughly how old is your computer, what version of windows are you using, and what is your gpu?

How many background processes do you have running? (And if on windows) What do you have set for default start up apps?

You said some other games did it as well, is it as bad? Is it using the openGL version of 0 A.D. or vulkan seeing what kind it renders could you try another game that uses the renderer and see if it works?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Just curious, roughly how old is your computer, what version of windows are you using, and what is your gpu?

How many background processes do you have running? (And if on windows) What do you have set for default start up apps?

You said some other games did it as well, is it as bad? Is it using the openGL version of 0 A.D. or vulkan seeing what kind it renders could you try another game that uses the renderer and see if it works?

Its a laptop from 2017, i used windows 11.

My GPUs are Intel HD Graphics 4600 as well as NVIDIA Geforce 840m

There are 71 background processes

My start up apps are:

Updater.exe, Windows security notifications, Cisco Secure client and CC Cleaner ( last one is not the cause, i installed it after the problem occured)

It actually is not even only about games, at some point everything gets slow. I have the feeling it gets worse over time after starting my pc. Maybe its just a hardware issue, but the problem occured over night basically, i remember 1 or 2 occasions where i could run 0AD normally though.  I use Open GL for 0 AD.

21 hours ago, seeh said:

so. unsurprisingly this idea doesn't help. I can't think of anything else right now that might help. You've probably had a quick look at the log files.

What should i be looking for ?

4 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

If you say everything gets slow I doubt you will find the solution within 0ad.

I'd recommend a fresh install of your OS. Alternatively look again for malware, update drivers, kill all processes you can.

I also dont think 0 AD is the cause, thats why i posted it in off topics :D, 0 A.D is just the main victim, as lag makes it unplayable

7 hours ago, MarcusAureliu#s said:

I deactivated both GPUs so only one could be used, it didnt change anything

you should ensure you are using Nvidia GPU the intel GPU cannot handle 0AD and intel uses System RAM which is slow.
Nvidia has its own dedicated memory for graphics.
also check if you are getting lag only in Multiplayer if so its not your problem, it's some other player with BAD PC.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Do you have enough free storage on your storage device? If there isn't enough storage space, it can really slow down the computer in general. If you are above 90% full, it could possibly help to free up space.

About 50%

10 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

@MarcusAureliu#s It wouldn't hurt if you'd upload your logs, per chance there's something in the hardware we can catch.

I will do so :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, leopard said:

you should ensure you are using Nvidia GPU the intel GPU cannot handle 0AD and intel uses System RAM which is slow.
Nvidia has its own dedicated memory for graphics.
also check if you are getting lag only in Multiplayer if so its not your problem, it's some other player with BAD PC.

Yeah, i deactivated Intel GPU to ensure it, but it didnt improve anything