We need an active pause, like in the Age of Empires.

Beritra

I like that during the pause in the Age of Empires 1/2/3, you can give commands to units and order them to build buildings, laying out the foundation and outline of the city, while time is frozen. Is it possible to do something similar in 0 A.D?

21 hours ago, alre said:

yes but you need a mod (could be autociv, I don't remember)

It is Autociv, but You can only give Commands during Pause. Building Placement, however, is not possible. The Blueprint cannot be moved within the Game World. 

Edited by sternstaub

Is not autociv.
I theory, when the game is paused any action you do will get queued to be executed on unpause. The thing, the UI is also sort of blocked when in pause so this is not "possible". Some commands the user can give, as for example the hotkeys, can bypass this as they don't depend on the UI (autociv hotkey or not). There is also the limitation that you won't be able to do "chained" actions as it would require to already have the previous action finished which at the initial moment you wont. 

14 hours ago, alre said:

you can also set it in the gui.

For me the lowest is turtle at 0.1 speed? But that might be more comfy anyway because commands are for the next turn (in mp some more), so with 0 speed you won't see the results of your action until you speed up again.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 07/06/2023 at 4:52 PM, Beritra said:

I like that during the pause in the Age of Empires 1/2/3, you can give commands to units and order them to build buildings, laying out the foundation and outline of the city, while time is frozen. Is it possible to do something similar in 0 A.D?

(y)I'd vote for that too! It's actually the AoE feature I'm missing... On every other aspect 0 A.D. is better.

Yes, I know, using shortcuts and all your eight hands on 6 keyboards and 3 mice covered in buttons, but sorry, no, I'm too old, retirement age old, and partly disabled. 40 years ago I might, but now I definitely can't keep up with the omniscient and lightning fast computer (I don't do multiplayer).

Right now, not only does "pause" freeze everything, but there is also an almost opaque overlay over the screen, so you can't even check the map in peace... Unfair. Just the time to scroll from one side of the map to the other, the AI has usually finished destroying me... :rolleyes:

(That been said thanks for the information that one can turn Pause to slow motion, if I manage to find where this setting is, I'll try it.)

On 07/06/2023 at 4:52 PM, Beritra said:

some command for this: https://github.com/sl5net/autocivP#compare-ihot-intuitive-hotkeys-optional-and-nihot-non-intuitive-hotkeys-optional

Edited by seeh

10 hours ago, krt0143 said:

(That been said thanks for the information that one can turn Pause to slow motion, if I manage to find where this setting is, I'll try it.)

Did you ever play around with the game speed? (Via the clock symbol in the top right corner.) I play on turtle speed (0.1x), mainly because I don't like losing units and my units are friggin' stupid; so I can leisurely zoom around, build, micro...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Did you ever play around with the game speed? (Via the clock symbol in the top right corner.) I play on turtle speed (0.1x), mainly because I don't like losing units and my units are friggin' stupid; so I can leisurely zoom around, build, micro...

No, I didn't spot that feature yet. Sounds promising, but still, I guess unless I can change it for the AI only, it could get quite annoying watching your own units crawl along... The active pause, AoE-style would be  nice to have.

Okay, I did try the game speed thing for 2-3 skirmish games and yes, it does help in those cases where you have to take a dozen important decisions all over the map at CPU speed.

But to really replace an active pause, this speed thing would need to be hotkey-able: You need to be able to toggle "turtle speed" and "normal" with a single key. having to use the drop-down menu each time gets tedious, and playing all the time on "turtle" is bad for my blood pressure: I'm too impatient to watch snail races.  :laugh:

Ergo: Still needing an active pause.

1 hour ago, krt0143 said:

You need to be able to toggle "turtle speed" and "normal" with a single key.

now i understand you.

yes i did some kine of games also long time ago with other games and also i 0ad. and yes i was missing this also. now i got you point.

yes that will be a great very helpful hotkey. idk. how difficult it is. maybe i have time for a deeper look. idk.

in the past very long time ago i used autoKey(linux) or autoHotKey (windows) for that. its very very easy. maybe you want try something

maybe its hels for you if you modify this autoKey snipped:

x1 = 2830
y1 = 42
x2 = x1 + 957  # 3787 # 957
x2 = 3787  # 957
y2 = 42

sleepTime = 0.1

if True:  # set speed 1 at left game
    mouse.click_absolute(x1, y1 + 300, 1)

mouse.click_absolute(x1, y1, 1)
    time.sleep(sleepTime * 2)
    mouse.click_absolute(x1 - 140, 76, 1)
    time.sleep(sleepTime * 2)
    mouse.click_absolute(x1 - 140, 76 + 4 * 25, 1)  # speed 1
    time.sleep(sleepTime)
    mouse.click_absolute(x1, y1, 1)
    time.sleep(sleepTime)

btw fastest speed seems 128 or 127

Edited by seeh

22 minutes ago, seeh said:

maybe its hels for you if you modify this autoKey snipped:

Uh, sounds Chinese to me.
Chinese with a heavy Maori accent.  :blink:

Thanks nevertheless, I think for the time being I'll stay with the tedium of constantly using the drop-down menu, it will be safer than trying to debug why it tries to uninstall the game instead of just switching to x speed...  :laugh:

• Like 1