Building sizes are incorrect and it's ruining immersion for me

Delfador

30 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

As for the references, we always look for the best possible quality and realism as part of the authenticity.

Since you are talking about "the best possible quality and realism", can I ask the developers to make the entrance to this house model more "realistic and best possible quality"? Because it seems that in Carthage people didn’t enter the house on their feet, but crawled on all fours.;)

Spoiler

6436.png.1246425503d71b76f37a3b2c897adc00.png

And in general, before designing buildings, it would be great to at least occasionally check their scale in relation to the inhabitants theoretically inhabiting these buildings, otherwise our city is not for people, but for some garden gnomes.;)

29 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Do not mix pears with grapes

The devil is in the details. Although in the RTS building models are often simplified to the limit, if they look completely doll-like, this spoils the overall picture of the game.

Edited by Delfador

10 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

@Delfador Nothing in the game is scaled to the units, because for reasons they are bigger than they "realistically" should.

Then make it less conspicuous. The Age of Empires 2 just bribed the fact that the scale of the units to the buildings may not have been realistic, but this was clearly not evident.

Edited by Delfador

7 minutes ago, borg- said:

It's getting off topic, open a topic about dimensions of things and let the topic continue with its proposal.

I just want developers not to step on the old "visual rake" when creating new civilizations.;)

14490416971456670.gif

Moreover, they have all the resources to use the best practices, given the experience of playing all the previously existing popular strategy franchises.

Edited by Delfador

8 hours ago, Delfador said:

Since you are talking about "the best possible quality and realism", can I ask the developers to make the entrance to this house model more "realistic and best possible quality"? Because it seems that in Carthage people didn’t enter the house on their feet, but crawled on all fours

It's not about absurd hyperrealism, it's about being as balanced as possible, neither too realistic nor too Age of Empires (and a lot of things from the first versions of the franchise that are absurd).

Second, the art team is not there to indulge such whims.

8 hours ago, Delfador said:

Since you are talking about "the best possible quality and realism", can I ask the developers to make the entrance to this house model more "realistic and best possible quality"? Because it seems that in Carthage people didn’t enter the house on their feet, but crawled on all fours.;)

Reveal hidden contents

6436.png.1246425503d71b76f37a3b2c897adc00.png

And in general, before designing buildings, it would be great to at least occasionally check their scale in relation to the inhabitants theoretically inhabiting these buildings, otherwise our city is not for people, but for some garden gnomes.;)

The devil is in the details. Although in the RTS building models are often simplified to the limit, if they look completely doll-like, this spoils the overall picture of the game.

Already the seconds. You are arguing for simply arguing and trying to bring the opposite or in other words you are not contributing anything and also off topic when that kind of talk happens the best thing to do is to just pass by with some opinion and ignore it.

That's like asking why villagers are not created in-game having sex.

3 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

That's like asking why villagers are not created in-game having sex.

Are you saying that my request to observe the aesthetic and logical proportions of objects in order to get the best picture in the game, when creating a new civilization, is an unreasonable whim?

Do you like it when elephants are bigger than people, and chickens are smaller? Well, why are the details of houses worse than chickens and elephants? I already spoke about Roman houses: if you reproduced Roman insulas with this model of a house, then in this size it is just a laughingstock.

It's even unpleasant to play for "such Rome".

Since you inherit different types of buildings, why not give them different dimensions? Let the Greek house be a conventional unit, then make an insula the size of two units or two and a half.

3 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

It's not about absurd hyperrealism, it's about being as balanced as possible, neither too realistic nor too Age of Empires (and a lot of things from the first versions of the franchise that are absurd).

For you, matching the details of the house model to the very scale of the house is "absurd hyper realism"?

Oh my Darwin... If you still decide to bring the house models into logical correspondence, if not to human units, but at least to themselves, then you can loudly declare that 0 A.D. is a hyper-realistic game!:rofl: Isn't it worth it?;) You will be famous, because no one else will have it!

Edited by Delfador
  • Confused 2

42 minutes ago, Delfador said:

Are you saying that my request to observe the aesthetic and logical proportions of objects in order to get the best picture in the game, when creating a new civilization, is an unreasonable whim

If you convince someone.

Name me an artist who wants to do all that whimsical modification you're talking about.

46 minutes ago, Delfador said:

Do you like it when elephants are bigger than people, and chickens are smaller? Well, why are the details of houses worse than chickens and elephants? I already spoke about Roman houses: if you reproduced Roman insulas with this model of a house, then in this size it is just a laughingstock

Simple simple simple the units have one scale the buildings have another scale, simple Don't complicate your life.

you haven't studied RTS and games you haven't studied art, so you're not going to get into an argument you're going to lose.

----

@Stan` Time to split the topic. Thank you.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

43 minutes ago, Delfador said:

Well, why are the details of houses worse than chickens and elephants? I already spoke about Roman houses: if you reproduced Roman insulas with this model of a house, then in this size it is just a laughingstock.

I assume you would love to select units no larger than 4 pixels across, so that the scale is 'realistic.'

Better yet, lets make ships even larger. In addition, we can let all units die in two hits so things are realistic. We can make the map so large it takes actual hours to traverse, which is nice and realistic. Even better, lets manually put soldiers on horses to call it cavalry.

sounds fun to me right?

If I sound annoyed its because I am. It doesn't make sense to make such a big deal of the tiniest abstractions. Remember that this is a videogame, and that a balance must be maintained between various aspects of the game.

Lastly, coding, art, design, balance, and historical accuracy all take hard work done by people on a largely voluntary basis. So you should really be respectful when making suggestions.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Better yet, lets make ships even larger. In addition, we can let all units die in two hits so things are realistic. We can make the map so large it takes actual hours to traverse, which is nice and realistic. Even better, lets manually put soldiers on horses to call it cavalry.

Sounds tempting...

18 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Remember that this is a videogame, and that a balance must be maintained between various aspects of the game.

But you already have nations with different building perimeters. Why not make different houses? I can't believe you don't see these inconsistencies yourself.

3 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Forbidden to have clones here on the forum so go say bye bye that account.

I don't carry passwords with me as I rarely play the game and only create accounts when I find something egregiously ugly to look out for.

Just now, Delfador 2 said:

I don't carry passwords with me as I rarely play the game and only create accounts when I find something egregiously ugly to look out for.

I don't care.

1 minute ago, Delfador 2 said:

Besides doing something illegal you must have already reached the post limit.

56 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Name me an artist who wants to do all that whimsical modification you're talking about.

An artist who cares about details? You yourself said that this is a hobby and you are not interested in money. According to my concepts, a hobby is work primarily for oneself. I don't know how much you don't give a darn about yourself, but usually people, when doing a hobby, especially for themselves, grind the result to a diamond shine. You yourself then play it. No?

4 minutes ago, Amaranth said:

An artist who cares about details? You yourself said that this is a hobby and you are not interested in money. According to my concepts, a hobby is work primarily for oneself. I don't know how much you don't give a darn about yourself, but usually people, when doing a hobby, especially for themselves, grind the result to a diamond shine. You yourself then play it. No?

We do the same concept and secondly continue to discuss this gigantic stupid community that the only thing that gives me to understand is that you have no coherence.

If you had coherence you would know that you have to respect the rules of the forum if you do not care then we ban you.

The game just isn't made for you so bye bye.