Building sizes are incorrect and it's ruining immersion for me

Delfador

14 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

if you do not care then we ban you.

Given that the moderators here are often programmers and artists, I have a chance that someone will read my messages, for whom the details are still important...

I am sacrificing these virtual entities to Perfectionism.:banana::balrog::banana:

Edited by Amaranth

1 hour ago, Amaranth said:

Given that the moderators here are often programmers and artists, I have a chance that someone will read my messages, for whom the details are still important...

I am sacrificing these virtual entities to Perfectionism.:banana::balrog::banana:

Have you ever thought that your ideas don't sound good to us?

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Have you ever thought that your ideas don't sound good to us?

An idea to give a couple of buildings a "facelift"? 

All I want to know is, do the developers agree that the building textures need to be improved? Or disagree? No one is expecting a momentary correction from you. I need it to understand the path of your plans. If everyone is satisfied with everything and in the future there are no plans to change anything in the design at all, then my question has been settled once and for all. All questions are then settled.

I can understand the grotesque scale of buildings in TBS, but in RTS, where everything happens in real time, such things add to the absurdity of what is happening on the screen. If I didn't care about the visual environment in the game, I would play StarCraft.

And these insulae of the Romans look just like a cigarette kiosk.

To tell the truth, I get the impression that the developers themselves do not respect their own work...

Edited by Amaranth 2

2 hours ago, Amaranth 2 said:

To tell the truth, I get the impression that the developers themselves do not respect their own work...

Have you taken into consideration that maybe, people being disrepected are not willing to engage in such conversations? Or that maybe there is a reason behind the apparent lack of scale, such as playability, where unfortunately, we cannot have 1:1 buildings because it would obstruct the vision too much. Some people even have been asking us if there is a way to reduce tree size because they are too big.

If you want realistic unit size, you can have some fun exporting a 1.8m or 6 feet depending on where you are cube from Blender, and replacing all units by it. Then you'll run into some funny things with the pathfinder, and probably other bugs.

You can also consider that the average time spent on one building is about from four to twenty hours, and multiply that by the number of structures in the game.

So no, I do care about my work, if not this project would be done and buried. And if I could magically fix 20 years of volunteer work I would, but right now, there are not that many artists left that can do the job, and it's far from being the priority.

I would appreciate for you to be more respectful to the people here. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

we cannot have 1:1 buildings

But I didn't mean 1:1 scale. Is it possible in your Atlas to somehow increase the house model by 1.5-2 times? No, I don't want to enlarge the barracks or the city center. I just think that some models of houses would be nice to increase. Not to rebuild them from scratch, but to stretch them a little bit.

To be honest, the idea of replacing small huts with a large household, such as the Greek nation, seems to me more sensible. You will still someday draw new buildings, such as, for example, the Assemble of Princesses for the Celts. Then you could consider changes in households, increasing residential buildings, mines and agricultural warehouses. This is your favorite historical authenticity.:D A Greek house without an arium is not a Greek house.B) 

If it were possible to somehow stretch the current Oikos model 3-4 times in width and 1.5-2 times in height, that would be ideal. But, judging by the mood, you won't even try it.

Edited by Amaranth 3

59 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Some people even have been asking us if there is a way to reduce tree size because they are too big.

Maybe then it's better to make a mode that cuts off the top of the tree, and not turn the trees into bushes? I know that the game has a huge map with a mountain and jungle in India, but if you reduce the trees, it will turn into squalor.

Edited by Amaranth 3

1 hour ago, Amaranth 3 said:

But I didn't mean 1:1 scale. Is it possible in your Atlas to somehow increase the house model by 1.5-2 times? No, I don't want to enlarge the barracks or the city center. I just think that some models of houses would be nice to increase. Not to rebuild them from scratch, but to stretch them a little bit.

No you cannot. The game does not support scaling. 

So for each house I think greek civilizations have 4 house mesh + 4 nature mesh + 4 props mesh you need to import the meshes in Blender, scale them, apply the scale, and reexport. 

1 hour ago, Amaranth 3 said:

. But, judging by the mood, you won't even try it.

It's not that I won't try it, I just do not have the time for it right now. But maybe in the fture.

7 hours ago, Amaranth 2 said:

If everyone is satisfied with everything and in the future there are no plans to change anything in the design at all, then my question has been settled once and for all.

you said it.

Basically, just about everyone to my knowledge is happy with the art style and is very appreciative of the hardworking artists.

There is no need to redesign the scales of the game to make 1 person happy, and even if there were no downsides (there are many), it would still not be worth the effort. As @Stan` said lots of work is going into more immediate concerns such as performance. 

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Amaranth 3 said:

To be honest, the idea of replacing small huts with a large household, such as the Greek nation, seems to me more sensible. You will still someday draw new buildings, such as, for example, the Assemble of Princesses for the Celts. Then you could consider changes in households, increasing residential buildings, mines and agricultural warehouses. This is your favorite historical authenticity.:D A Greek house without an arium is not a Greek house.B) 

If it were possible to somehow stretch the current Oikos model 3-4 times in width and 1.5-2 times in height, that would be ideal. But, judging by the mood, you won't even try it.

Could you stop using clones?

6 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Basically, just about everyone to my knowledge is happy with the art style and is very appreciative of the hardworking artists.

Even if we didn't like the art direction/style  there are ways and ways to ask things to be changed. Specially for something that is offered for free, it's just called basic gratitude and decency.

Also 0 AD is an open source game and easily moddable, OP could fix the scales himself. Even if no one likes his particular art direction he can do whatever he wants. I did that with some of the things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1