0 A.D's Built-in Encyclopedia

Lion.Kanzen

2023 年 12 月 25 日晚上 10:45,Vantha 说:

I suggest more use of Chinese proper nouns and simpler explanations, for example, the Chinese catapult is called "礮Pao", which is the most basic lever-type catapult, like a balance, and has the advantage of utilising the most basic leverage principle, resulting in a very high energy conversion efficiency.

2023 年 6 月 12 日下午 4:17,Vantha 说:

汉帝国幅员辽阔,文化多样,是多种信仰和宗教的发源地。 其中传播最广的是道教和佛教。 然而,中央帝国政府遵循的是法家和儒家的意识形态。 法家主张法律、正义和控制的必要性,而儒家则讲的是士气、温和的统治和毫无抵抗的服从:
汉代的政治制度非常复杂,但结构清晰。 等级制度非常严格,地位较高的人需要受到极大的尊重。 与历史上许多其他皇帝不同,汉朝皇帝并不被当作神来崇拜,而是被视为代表神的天命。
但不仅官方行政部门拥有强大的等级制度,而且政府也拥有强大的等级制度。 按照儒家模式,男人领导一个家庭,女人和孩子几乎没有自由,显然是从属于男人的,必须服从他。
该体系以儒家教义为基础,其最高目标是建立秩序,和谐被认为是理想社会的基础。
它奏效了。 至少在一定时间内是这样。 特别是汉帝国的早期是和平时期(至少在帝国境内)和中华文化的繁荣时期。 这一次被称为“中国的黄金时代”当然不是没有理由的。

Chinese Buddhism and Taoism only took their prototypes in the Han Dynasty. The popularity of these two religions was from the Northern and Southern Dynasties to the Tang Dynasty after the collapse of the Han Dynasty.
According to Emperor Liu Xun, the early ideology of the Han Dynasty was "霸王道杂之", that is, the balance between power and morality. Later emperors abandoned the pragmatist attitude and turned to extremely respecting Confucianism, which actually led to the demise of the Han Dynasty.
In addition, the statement about Confucianism here is very stereotyped, and it is a view of Confucianism a thousand years later. The characteristic of Confucianism in the Han Dynasty is actually respecting ancient times, believing that there was an ideal society in ancient times, and the way to establish such an ideal society is Retro. At the same time, Confucianism also began to become religious, linking the destiny of the country and society with various astronomical and geographical phenomena, which was called "天人感应".
Chinese society during this period was actually much flatter than later, because the social system of the Han Dynasty retained many remnants of the ancient commune system, so its class and relationship between men and women were much more equal than later.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AIEND said:

Chinese Buddhism and Taoism only took their prototypes in the Han Dynasty. The popularity of these two religions was from the Northern and Southern Dynasties to the Tang Dynasty after the collapse of the Han Dynasty.
According to Emperor Liu Xun, the early ideology of the Han Dynasty was "霸王道杂之", that is, the balance between power and morality. Later emperors abandoned the pragmatist attitude and turned to extremely respecting Confucianism, which actually led to the demise of the Han Dynasty.
In addition, the statement about Confucianism here is very stereotyped, and it is a view of Confucianism a thousand years later. The characteristic of Confucianism in the Han Dynasty is actually respecting ancient times, believing that there was an ideal society in ancient times, and the way to establish such an ideal society is Retro. At the same time, Confucianism also began to become religious, linking the destiny of the country and society with various astronomical and geographical phenomena, which was called "天人感应".
Chinese society during this period was actually much flatter than later, because the social system of the Han Dynasty retained many remnants of the ancient commune system, so its class and relationship between men and women were much more equal than later.

Thanks, @AIEND for the feedback. It's really hard to find good resources on the Han dynasty, so its good to find someone who has studied this. It would be great if could go through all our written articles (found Here: https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/tree/main/0-ad-history-mod-package/simulation/templates/structures/han and Here: https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/tree/main/0-ad-history-mod-package/simulation/templates/units/han

If we messed up, please let us know, and I and @Vantha will correct them. Also, we haven't completely finished with the civilization, so if you want to help us write you are more than welcome.

One thing is, I especially want to know if there were any problems with the Han Female Citizens. It was really hard to find sources for that article. I had originally wanted to quote this source https://zh.wikisource.org/wiki/女誡 but there were no translations available and while I consulted a version ran through Google Translate that translation doesn't cut the standards I have for inclusion in the encyclopedia, and without an expert on the language I wasn't going to make changes.

• Like 1

Hey @AIEND

Thank you for the feedback

I'm all for mentioning the Chinese name in the texts, just like I did with the Greek names for Athens and Sparta. The problem for me is that I don't speak Chinese. And many times how something actually was called often mismatches with the SpecificName which is often only a literal word by word translation into Chinese. But if people think it's worth it I can include them nevertheless.

The mangonel is a good example: in game it is called "Toushi Che" which seems like a direct translation of the word 'mangonel' or 'trebuchet' into Chinese. I doubt that was the word used in the Han dynasty. The mangonel in the game is actually also not only a "礮Pao" (as you said), but a "旋風砲Xuan Feng Pao" or only "旋風 Xuan Feng" translating to "whirlwind (catapult)".

I've been told before that my descriptions are too detailed and complicated sometimes. If we actually can actually put images or even animations above the article, these precise descriptions aren't as much needed as they were back when I wrote the text.

In regards to the text about religion, thanks pointing out some inaccuracies. I never was happy with that text and wanted to rewrite anyway. Finding good sources on this topic was quite a challenge. If you're fine with it, I will rewrite it based on your description (of course not without crediting). You can also write it entirely yourself or just leave out the passages addressing me and use it like that.

Edited by Vantha
  • Like 1

I havent stopped writing, I just started working on many articles simultaneausly and until now havent finished any.

Here are two: (the second text is what i meant: not specifically about the unit, but related, so we can link from the Champion Spearman to this article)

Siege tower (a mixin): https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/96

Because siege towers were so bulky, they were often constructed on site from materials gathered from the surrounding woods. Although they came in different sizes, they were as tall as or taller than the besieged city`s walls.
        In 0 A.D.'s timeframe (500 BC to 500 AD), siege towers, against popular opinion, often only served as an elevated platform for archers to target defending soldiers on the wall. Siege towers were also frequently used on top of ships. Some siege towers, once they came close enough, dropped down a bridge, allowing heavy infantry from inside to storm directly onto the walls. Battering rams that were built into the tower's bottom layers could also damage or breach the walls. No doubt, if successfully deployed, siege towers would significantly help with taking the city; defenders tried to stop it with all means .
        Drawing or pushing the heavy siege tower forward on its wheels, for example, required relatively flat terrain. This was commonly exploited with the construction of moats around fortifications. And because of how heavy they were, defenders oftentimes also attempted to make the tower tip over or get stuck; for example, by digging tunnels, it would sink in.Another tactic was to set the siege tower, largely built of wood, on fire, with burning arrows, for example. To prevent this, the towers were often covered in sheets of inflammable or wet materials.

and Guards in the Han capital (Champion Spearman9 https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/97

The Han empire's capital, Chang'an (206 BC to 9 AD, 190 BC to 195 BC), later Louyang (23–190 AD, 196 AD), and Xuchang (196–220 AD), was protected by various guard corps.
        The largest and strategically most important was the Northern Army, which was stationed in the surroundings of the capital. It consisted of five regiments: the Archers, the Footsoldiers, the Elite Cavalry, the Garrison Cavalry, and the Chang River Regiment. Latter comprised non-Chinese auxiliary troops. Each regiment contained around 1,000 professionally trained soldiers. There was also a Southern Army of similar size; however, it lasted shorter and was of lower importance.
        The palace guards patrolled the capital's multiple palaces' gates, towers, and walls. They numbered around 2000 and were managed by the Minister of Guards, one of the nine ministers.The Minister of the Household commanded several guard squads as well. The two militarily most valuable were the "虎賁 huben," Rapid as Tigers (which the Champion Spearman represents), and the "羽林 yulin," Feathered Forest. Both were between 1000 and 2000 men strong and responsible for the emperor's immediate personal security. Memberships in these units were passed on to the next generation.
        Private areas were guarded by eunuchs, castrated men serving in imperial palaces. They were, on paper, under the command of the Minister Steward.

Edited by Vantha
  • Like 1

El 01/08/2024 a las 9:34, ShadowOfHassen dijo:

Gracias, @AIEND por los comentarios. Es realmente difícil encontrar buenos recursos sobre la dinastía Han, por lo que es bueno encontrar a alguien que haya estudiado esto. Sería fantástico si pudiera revisar todos nuestros artículos escritos (que se encuentran aquí: https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/tree/main/0-ad-history-mod-package/ simulación/templates/structures/han y aquí: https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/tree/main/0-ad-history-mod-package/simulation/templates/units/ Han

Si cometimos un error, háganoslo saber y @Vantha y yo lo corregiremos. Además, aún no hemos terminado completamente con la civilización, así que si quieres ayudarnos a escribir eres más que bienvenido.

Una cosa es que quiero saber especialmente si hubo algún problema con las ciudadanas Han. Fue realmente difícil encontrar fuentes para ese artículo. Originalmente quería citar esta fuente https://zh.wikisource.org/wiki/女誡 pero no había traducciones disponibles y mientras consultaba una versión ejecutada en Google Translate, esa traducción no cumple con los estándares que tengo para su inclusión. en la enciclopedia, y sin un experto en el idioma no iba a hacer cambios.

For a story about how maidens or women should be to fit into society and not fall into shame.

3 hours ago, Vantha said:

Another tactic was to set the siege tower, largely built of wood, on fire, with burning arrows, for example. To prevent this, the towers were often covered in sheets of inflammable or wet materials.

I think that "inflammable" is not the word to use here. Inflammable means capable of being set on fire; combustible; flammable. Scroll down at this dictionary entry to see an explanation that people tend to think that "in-" means the negative, but it doesn't in this case.

Instead, I suggest using "nonflammable" or "noncombustible".

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

I think that "inflammable" is not the word to use here. Inflammable means capable of being set on fire; combustible; flammable. Scroll down at this dictionary entry to see an explanation that people tend to think that "in-" means the negative, but it doesn't in this case.

@Norse_Harold is right. Inflammable is one of the places where English breaks its own rules.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/grammar/flammable-or-inflammable

They're more like "guidelines" anyway...

12 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

5 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

@Norse_Harold is right. Inflammable is one of the places where English breaks its own rules.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/grammar/flammable-or-inflammable

They're more like "guidelines" anyway...

Yeah, my bad. I was relying too much on my intuition. @ShadowOfHassen corrected it to "nonflammable".

Two more:

adding some more information to the battering ram mixin:https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/98

Battering rams are one of, if not the single, most popular siege engines of all time. They came in all different sizes and shapes and were generally very easy to construct. The earliest versions were just groups of soldiers carrying long poles, often tree logs, and ramming them against the targets.
        However, during classical antiquity, 0 A.D.'s timeframe, battering rams had already been developed further: The pole was usually hung by ropes or chains. When ramming, it was pulled back and released. The pole then swung forward, its head, often reinforced with iron or steel, hitting the target. Because the entire heavy pole's force was concentrated on the tip, even small rams could break through strong gates and crack meter-thick walls.
        The people operating the ram were protected from projectiles by a canopy, either carried by the soldiers themselves or rolling on wheels. Since it was normally made from wood, defenders often tried to set it on fire. To counter that, the construction was covered in nonflammable materials, wet hides, for example. Defenders also tried to immobilize or damage battering rams by dropping or throwing heavy rocks on them.

Tiger and Leopard cavalry:https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/99

The Tiger and Leopard Cavalry was an elite cavalry division belonging to the warlord Cao Cao, commanded by his cousin Cao Chu. At that time, during the late Han dynasty and the early Three Kingdoms era (the first and second centuries BC), the use of cavalry was generally declining and shifting more towards heavier armor. There were other, similar cavalry divisions to the Tiger and Leopard cavalry in the armies of other warlords as well.
        Admission into this special force had high requirements; applicants, for example, had to command at least a hundred units to be eligible. Because of that, both the commander, Cao Chun, and the squadron itself were renown for their elite status, extreme discipline, and physical capabilities. They could, for example, travel great distances in a comparably short amount of time.
        The Tiger and Leopard Cavalry fought with the typical Chinese spears with leaf-shaped blades. They also carried a shield. And, as already indicated, horses and riders were heavily armored. Their equipment was of very high quality.
        Despite this, one of the Tiger and Leopard Cavalry's strengths was their high flexibility in battle. They fought as shock troops and, at the desired moment and place on the battlefield, charged the enemy, trying to break up or disorganize their formation.
        All this made the Tiger and Leopard Cavalry the most lethal division in Cao Cao's army. Although they were small in numbers—a few thousand men at most—they could and did perform battle-deciding maneuvers.

Im honestly not sure whether the Champion Cavalry Spearman, the Wu Wei Yin Cao Cao guard, even represents the tiger and leopard cavalry. If not, tell me, then I guess Ill have to find out the hard way.

Tower ship: https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/102

The most prevalent ships in Han fleets were so-called tower or castle ships. They came in all different sizes, with the largest ones measuring over 110 feet (33 meters) in height and carrying hundreds of soldiers. The larger ones formed the core of the fleet, while the smaller ones served as support ships. Tower ships are often described as floating fortresses. This is because they had multiple stories of wooden bulwarks looking like buildings standing on deck, protecting the soldiers inside. However, the rowers were not positioned inside the bulwarks. The largest variants comprised three stories, others only one or two.
        There was one big weakness of this towering design: its high center of gravity resulted in comparably low stability on the water, disabling it from really driving on the high sea. However, this posed no problem since the Han navy mostly operated in coastal or riverine regions anyway.
        The sides, once described as looking like city walls, had openings to shoot through projectiles. And to prevent it from catching fire, the outside was coated in wet or nonflammable materials. Tower ships also often carried large mangonels aboard, though the main tactics still remained boarding enemy ships.
        Besides being an effective warship, giant towerships probably were prestige items showcasing the advanced shipbuilding capabilities.

and the Han chariot: https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/103

The use of chariots in ancient China peaked between the 8th and 5th centuries BC. They were usually drawn by two or four horses and carried three men: the charioteer who steered the chariot, an archer typically standing to the charioteer's left, and a soldier carrying a dagger-axe to his right. The dagger-axe "ge" consisted of a dagger-like blade perpendicular to a long shaft. This made it ideal for swinging and pecking attacks and, therefore, perfect for chariot warfare. Due to its high length, the dagger axe could even reach enemy chariots. The chariot's crew wore various types of armor, like leather, and the horses too.
        Chariots were deployed for both attack, defense, and pursuit; there were different sizes and models for different needs. Because chariots were very vulnerable when being encircled, they were also generally accompanied by infantry. In attack, they fought as shock units, charging at the enemy line at their full speed of around 13 mph (20 km/h). Formations oftentimes could not withstand the impact and got scattered and disorganized, which ultimately decided the outcome of the battle. In fact, for some time, a state's military power was mostly determined by the number of chariots it could deploy.
        However, the chariot's effectiveness was tied to flat terrain. A rugged battleground rendered chariots almost useless. They were also powerless against cavalrymen, who were not only much faster but also more flexible. Because of this, as the battle conditions changed over time, the chariot declined in importance. During the Han period, the presence of chariots on the battlefield had shrunk to neglectable.

15 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

On the contrary, perhaps it's an upgrade for the barracks: Imperial Barracks 

How would we go about making the change, because while some historical things can let slide for gameplay reasons, this seems a bit far. Besides, it would be interesting to have one civilization mix it up and not have to construct a unique building to get elite soldiers.

Han barracks: https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/104/

The largest part of the Han population consisted of peasants. For this reason, raising armies was done through conscription. At the age of 23, later lowered to 20, Han men underwent two years of military service, one year of training, and one year of active duty stationed in the capital, provinces, or the northern frontier. After this, they were liable to be called to arms until the age of 56. Because of that, although the Han dynasty retained a small professional army, most soldiers were still militia units.
        However, over the course of time, local warlords and clans gained more and more power, weakening the central government's control over its citizens. This caused the conscription system to slowly collapse. These warlords raised their own private armies instead. And, at the beginning of the Eastern Han dynasty (first century AD), the strict standardized conscription system was more or less abolished. Commoners could now pay a certain tax to exempt themselves from service, which resulted in a drastic decline of conscripts in the army. Among other reasons, it would be this development of feudalism and privatization of the military that eventually caused the Han dynasty's downfall.

Han dock: https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/105

While the Han dynasty can be denoted as primarily a land empire, especially in the East and South, they kept a presence at sea as well. Han merchants, for example, engaged in trade along the Maritime Silk Road along the southern and eastern coasts of Asia.
        And the Han dynasty is considered the first in China's history to develop a capable navy. It mainly consisted of tower ships numbering 2,000 and employing 200,000 seamen. These fleets, however, were not suited for the high seas and operated only in riverine or coastal regions. An example is the series of conflicts with southern Minyue State in the late 2nd century BC, where the Han navy drove along the coast to reach the target. And the Han fleets proved superior, eventually putting down a rebellion and annexing the territory.
        Although maritime activities were generally still of comparably low priority for the Han, they made important technical advancements such as inventing the stern rudder and building the first war junks, which laid the foundation for the dynasties to come.

• Like 1